British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Civics test and oath ceremony (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/civics-test-oath-ceremony-930625/)

ScottUK1990 Jan 26th 2020 4:03 pm

Civics test and oath ceremony

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted on here but I'm finally at the last stages of the process for citizenship (having entered on a K-1 visa at the end of 2015).
I have the civics test/interview on Tuesday this week and, having read a few peoples accounts of their day, I saw that it's possible the oath ceremony can happen the same day. Does anyone know if you HAVE to do it on the same day if offered? I'm travelling up alone (its the Albany, NY office 2 hours away) so would rather wait a few days/weeks until my family can attend the ceremony with me.

Thanks!

Scott

Noorah101 Jan 26th 2020 4:04 pm

Re: Civics test and oath ceremony

No, you don't have to.

Rene

ScottUK1990 Jan 26th 2020 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12796121)
No, you don't have to.

Rene

Thank you Rene!

Rete Jan 26th 2020 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990 (Post 12796120)
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted on here but I'm finally at the last stages of the process for citizenship (having entered on a K-1 visa at the end of 2015).
I have the civics test/interview on Tuesday this week and, having read a few peoples accounts of their day, I saw that it's possible the oath ceremony can happen the same day. Does anyone know if you HAVE to do it on the same day if offered? I'm travelling up alone (its the Albany, NY office 2 hours away) so would rather wait a few days/weeks until my family can attend the ceremony with me.

Thanks!

Scott

Wow you are in West Point, NY and going to Albany for the interview? That's a nice trip. Hope the weather is with you and good luck. I don't believe that Albany does a same day oath ceremony. Most likely it will be one of the federal courts in Albany so will need to be scheduled.

steph0scope Jan 26th 2020 7:17 pm

I'm actually hoping to get a same-day oath ceremony as the USCIS office is 4 hours away and in another state. Would save on gas! But I can see that it's inconvenient for family members.
Good luck with your interview!

ScottUK1990 Jan 26th 2020 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12796137)
Wow you are in West Point, NY and going to Albany for the interview? That's a nice trip. Hope the weather is with you and good luck. I don't believe that Albany does a same day oath ceremony. Most likely it will be one of the federal courts in Albany so will need to be scheduled.

Yeah I'm not sure why they're sending me there and not NYC, i guess its county based perhaps? Or travel duration would be similar to either (although total mileage is much less to NYC).

Thanks everyone for your answers!

Pulaski Jan 26th 2020 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990 (Post 12796299)
Yeah I'm not sure why they're sending me there and not NYC, i guess its county based perhaps? Or travel duration would be similar to either (although total mileage is much less to NYC). ....

My guess would be availability of resources (staff), and NYC is always going to be a very busy office.

OldJuddian Jan 27th 2020 4:34 am

In Seattle the office is so busy that they are sending people to Yakima in Eastern Washington, but as compensation for the long journey you get the choice of Oath ceremony on the same day. It more than makes up for the trip (IMHO).

ScottUK1990 Jan 28th 2020 9:17 pm

That would make sense re.NYC being so busy.

Anyway - has the appointment today, went smoothly! Civics test was easy, had my 6 questions, talked through my application, answered all the security-type questions, and then was approved! Was in the room for maybe 20minutes, appointment took an hour with wait time. Wasn’t asked for marriage certificate or spouses birth certificate (as mentioned in the letter they sent), but did need passport and green card (which I had).

Will hear about oath ceremony soon, I was told new dates come out tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help!

Rete Jan 29th 2020 1:43 pm

WTG Scott. Only a short wait now and it will be over.

pejp Jan 31st 2020 4:13 pm

I have my interview in a couple of weeks. I'd quite like my wife and kids to be there for the oath (although our kids are 9 weeks old so it might be difficult). Is there a rough rule of thumb on how often the oath ceremonies are held? If I get offered same day and turn it down, will I be waiting for months? I'm in Colorado.

scottyvisa Feb 4th 2020 6:34 pm

Congrats!

Pulaski Feb 8th 2020 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by pejp (Post 12799307)
I have my interview in a couple of weeks. I'd quite like my wife and kids to be there for the oath (although our kids are 9 weeks old so it might be difficult). Is there a rough rule of thumb on how often the oath ceremonies are held? If I get offered same day and turn it down, will I be waiting for months? I'm in Colorado.

I can't imagine you'do have to wait more than a week or two at most - certainly citizenship ceremonies are not months apart.

petitefrancaise Feb 8th 2020 8:05 pm

they seem to give 3 weeks notice and if you ask for a postponement then it's another 3 weeks - at least here in Texas

MarthaIv Feb 11th 2020 4:25 am

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990 (Post 12797658)
That would make sense re.NYC being so busy.

Anyway - has the appointment today, went smoothly! Civics test was easy, had my 6 questions, talked through my application, answered all the security-type questions, and then was approved! Was in the room for maybe 20minutes, appointment took an hour with wait time. Wasn’t asked for marriage certificate or spouses birth certificate (as mentioned in the letter they sent), but did need passport and green card (which I had).

Will hear about oath ceremony soon, I was told new dates come out tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help!

Hi there i am just reading your info here and i see you say that the swearing in procedure will be quite soon after your interview, did they say how soon? I also had a couple of questions about the interview, what sort of questions were the security ones? and was that it? and also how long did it take for you to get the letter for the interview after your application was filled and then how much notice did they give you for the interview in your letter? Thank you kindly for your answers. Martha