Civics test and oath ceremony

Old Jan 26th 2020, 4:03 pm
US Citizen / UK Citizen

ScottUK1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Civics test and oath ceremony

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted on here but I'm finally at the last stages of the process for citizenship (having entered on a K-1 visa at the end of 2015).
I have the civics test/interview on Tuesday this week and, having read a few peoples accounts of their day, I saw that it's possible the oath ceremony can happen the same day. Does anyone know if you HAVE to do it on the same day if offered? I'm travelling up alone (its the Albany, NY office 2 hours away) so would rather wait a few days/weeks until my family can attend the ceremony with me.

Thanks!

Scott
Old Jan 26th 2020, 4:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Civics test and oath ceremony

No, you don't have to.

Rene
Old Jan 26th 2020, 4:21 pm
US Citizen / UK Citizen

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No, you don't have to.

Rene
Thank you Rene!
Old Jan 26th 2020, 4:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted on here but I'm finally at the last stages of the process for citizenship (having entered on a K-1 visa at the end of 2015).
I have the civics test/interview on Tuesday this week and, having read a few peoples accounts of their day, I saw that it's possible the oath ceremony can happen the same day. Does anyone know if you HAVE to do it on the same day if offered? I'm travelling up alone (its the Albany, NY office 2 hours away) so would rather wait a few days/weeks until my family can attend the ceremony with me.

Thanks!

Scott
Wow you are in West Point, NY and going to Albany for the interview? That's a nice trip. Hope the weather is with you and good luck. I don't believe that Albany does a same day oath ceremony. Most likely it will be one of the federal courts in Albany so will need to be scheduled.
Old Jan 26th 2020, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

I'm actually hoping to get a same-day oath ceremony as the USCIS office is 4 hours away and in another state. Would save on gas! But I can see that it's inconvenient for family members.
Good luck with your interview!
Old Jan 26th 2020, 9:32 pm
US Citizen / UK Citizen

Originally Posted by Rete
Wow you are in West Point, NY and going to Albany for the interview? That's a nice trip. Hope the weather is with you and good luck. I don't believe that Albany does a same day oath ceremony. Most likely it will be one of the federal courts in Albany so will need to be scheduled.
Yeah I'm not sure why they're sending me there and not NYC, i guess its county based perhaps? Or travel duration would be similar to either (although total mileage is much less to NYC).

Thanks everyone for your answers!
Old Jan 26th 2020, 9:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I'm not sure why they're sending me there and not NYC, i guess its county based perhaps? Or travel duration would be similar to either (although total mileage is much less to NYC). ....
My guess would be availability of resources (staff), and NYC is always going to be a very busy office.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

In Seattle the office is so busy that they are sending people to Yakima in Eastern Washington, but as compensation for the long journey you get the choice of Oath ceremony on the same day. It more than makes up for the trip (IMHO).
Old Jan 28th 2020, 9:17 pm
US Citizen / UK Citizen

That would make sense re.NYC being so busy.

Anyway - has the appointment today, went smoothly! Civics test was easy, had my 6 questions, talked through my application, answered all the security-type questions, and then was approved! Was in the room for maybe 20minutes, appointment took an hour with wait time. Wasn’t asked for marriage certificate or spouses birth certificate (as mentioned in the letter they sent), but did need passport and green card (which I had).

Will hear about oath ceremony soon, I was told new dates come out tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help!
Old Jan 29th 2020, 1:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

WTG Scott. Only a short wait now and it will be over.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

I have my interview in a couple of weeks. I'd quite like my wife and kids to be there for the oath (although our kids are 9 weeks old so it might be difficult). Is there a rough rule of thumb on how often the oath ceremonies are held? If I get offered same day and turn it down, will I be waiting for months? I'm in Colorado.

Last edited by pejp; Jan 31st 2020 at 4:16 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!
Old Feb 8th 2020, 6:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejp
I have my interview in a couple of weeks. I'd quite like my wife and kids to be there for the oath (although our kids are 9 weeks old so it might be difficult). Is there a rough rule of thumb on how often the oath ceremonies are held? If I get offered same day and turn it down, will I be waiting for months? I'm in Colorado.
I can't imagine you'do have to wait more than a week or two at most - certainly citizenship ceremonies are not months apart.
Old Feb 8th 2020, 8:05 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

they seem to give 3 weeks notice and if you ask for a postponement then it's another 3 weeks - at least here in Texas
Old Feb 11th 2020, 4:25 am
Just Joined

MarthaIv is an unknown quantity at this point

That would make sense re.NYC being so busy.

Anyway - has the appointment today, went smoothly! Civics test was easy, had my 6 questions, talked through my application, answered all the security-type questions, and then was approved! Was in the room for maybe 20minutes, appointment took an hour with wait time. Wasn’t asked for marriage certificate or spouses birth certificate (as mentioned in the letter they sent), but did need passport and green card (which I had).

Will hear about oath ceremony soon, I was told new dates come out tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help!
Hi there i am just reading your info here and i see you say that the swearing in procedure will be quite soon after your interview, did they say how soon? I also had a couple of questions about the interview, what sort of questions were the security ones? and was that it? and also how long did it take for you to get the letter for the interview after your application was filled and then how much notice did they give you for the interview in your letter? Thank you kindly for your answers. Martha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.