Citzenship Vs Remaining an LPR

Old May 11th 2020, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

freerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citzenship Vs Remaining an LPR

Probably covered before many a time but could someone remind me what the benefits are on becoming a citizen rather than remaining and LPR, other than voting, standing for office etc. I know I will forever have to file uS taxes whatever status I am or wherever I live.

I think there's something to do with social security, retirement planning etc but online the info is variable.

Should also say that I will probably return to the UK in the next 5 years so that could have a bearing on whether its advantageous to becoming a citizen.
Old May 11th 2020, 7:16 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citzenship Vs Remaining an LPR

Originally Posted by freerskier
Probably covered before many a time but could someone remind me what the benefits are on becoming a citizen rather than remaining and LPR, other than voting, standing for office etc. I know I will forever have to file uS taxes whatever status I am or wherever I live.

I think there's something to do with social security, retirement planning etc but online the info is variable.

Should also say that I will probably return to the UK in the next 5 years so that could have a bearing on whether its advantageous to becoming a citizen.
The major thing in favour of becoming a citizen is that you do not need a visa to enter the USA, they can't stop you entering and it never needs renewing.
Old May 11th 2020, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

freerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond repute

That's a point mikelincs - hadn't thought of that one.

I think there is stuff about the amount or rights to social security when you retire also.
Old May 11th 2020, 7:38 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Some time ago I was having to trawl through ITAR regulations, within which there are all sorts of links to employment legislation. Long story short, there's a downside to not applying for citizenship within 6 months of entitlement to do so. How big of a downside it is I have no way to measure.

From https://www.justice.gov/crt/types-discrimination

Citizenship status discrimination with respect to hiring, firing, and recruitment or referral for a fee by employers with four or more employees.
Employers with four or more employees are not allowed to treat individuals differently in hiring, firing, recruitment or referral for a fee based on citizenship status. You can get more information about citizenship status discrimination by contacting IER and at 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(1)(B). Citizenship status includes a person's immigration status. U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, asylees, refugees, and recent lawful permanent residents are protected from citizenship status discrimination. Exceptions: lawful permanent residents who do not apply for naturalization within six months of eligibility by virtue of their period of residency are not protected from citizenship status discrimination.

Last edited by celticgrid; May 11th 2020 at 7:39 pm. Reason: Format muddled
Old May 11th 2020, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks celticgrid - hand thought of the work/employment thing. Doesn't impact me at the moment but it could.
Old May 11th 2020, 7:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_...US_Citizenship

HTH.
Old May 11th 2020, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again and christmasooopma for the wiki - I knew it was there somewhere.
Old May 11th 2020, 9:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The major thing in favour of becoming a citizen is that you do not need a visa to enter the USA, they can't stop you entering and it never needs renewing.
This is especially important if you have either [1] children/ family you are leaving behind, or [2] you have children who are dual citizens (they would be a USC if born in the US, even you are not), because even if you take them back to the UK they could later decide to come back to the US for college and stay here aftewards, so either way, [1] or [2], you could have grandchildren living here, therefore having the status to come to the US to visit as often as you like, and for as long as you like, or even to return to live after you retire, has very real value.
Old May 11th 2020, 10:15 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

If you are leaving without becoming a Citizen you would likely be abandoning your LPR/Green Card, so your tax obligations would not be forever. Citizenship would give you the option to come back, but also mean filling/paying US tax’s on your worldwide income as long as you are a Citizen (double tax treaties may offset) would be the downside of Citizenship. For both there could also be an exit tax if you abandon/give it up:
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...patriation-tax

As a Citizen you can also use the foreign earned income exclusion:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...come-exclusion

If you have property or significant assets professional advice may be a good investment.

Last edited by tht; May 11th 2020 at 11:21 pm.
Old May 11th 2020, 10:19 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Being a citizen protects you from any future changes to immigration laws and requirements. Who knows what Trump might pull during a second term in office, with nothing to lose.
Old May 12th 2020, 3:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
.... Who knows what Trump might pull during a second term in office, with nothing to lose?
Me me, I do! ..... Not much, becuase the President doesn't pass laws, or even control the legislative schedule.
Old May 12th 2020, 5:31 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Me me, I do! ..... Not much, becuase the President doesn't pass laws, or even control the legislative schedule.
That hasn't appeared to worry him to much so far.
Old May 12th 2020, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Some time ago I was having to trawl through ITAR regulations, within which there are all sorts of links to employment legislation.
Whilst nothing I do falls under ITAR, employment is still a big one for me - there are projects at work that I simply cannot be assigned to unless I'm a US Citizen.

I fully intend to become a US Citizen at the earliest opportunity, not least because I don't like my career prospects being limited.
Old May 12th 2020, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

I'm thinking I would apply for citizenship BUT I will ultimately return to the the U of K in the next 5 years probably, so I'd be pulling out of the 2024 presidential race for sure. Job wise I am (at the moment) fairly secure + I have no US family - therefore it doesn't seem like I'd benefit if thats the selfish way to frame the decision.

Now, the only other really unknown is the social security entitlement if I were citizen vs an LPR on return to Blighty. Here's a little link I found. Not comprehensive but a start: https://finance.zacks.com/green-card-holders-living-abroad-eligible-social-security-benefits-7673.html
Here's the SSA leaflet as well:
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

Last edited by freerskier; May 12th 2020 at 10:08 pm.
Old May 12th 2020, 11:09 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking I would apply for citizenship BUT I will ultimately return to the the U of K in the next 5 years probably, so I'd be pulling out of the 2024 presidential race for sure. Job wise I am (at the moment) fairly secure + I have no US family - therefore it doesn't seem like I'd benefit if thats the selfish way to frame the decision.

Now, the only other really unknown is the social security entitlement if I were citizen vs an LPR on return to Blighty. Here's a little link I found. Not comprehensive but a start: https://finance.zacks.com/green-card-holders-living-abroad-eligible-social-security-benefits-7673.html
Here's the SSA leaflet as well:
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf
Your still missing the point multiple people are explaining to you. If you are leaving and want to do things properly it’s become a USC or nothing (not remain a LPR). Even the link you posted explains that if you read it:

Resident Status

Although a green card holder may collect his Social Security benefits while living abroad, he needs to be cognizant of the amount of time he spends there. Green card holders who plan to live outside of the U.S. for more than one year must obtain a returning resident visa or reentry permit prior to leaving or they risk losing their permanent residency status, according to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. Those who get a reentry permit, but stay abroad more than two years after it was issued, also may have their green card revoked, as may resident aliens who relocate to another country. When a green card holder elects to live in a country which has no tax treaty with the U.S, he should be prepared for his benefit payments to cease after six months.”

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.