Citzenship Interview

Old Jul 13th 2018, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

AndyW149 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citzenship Interview

Hi all,

I have my Citizenship interview at the end of the month (Denver office). I have all the documents ready to go, but just wondering if anyone has some insight into what to expect from the interview, specifically the types of questions I am likely to be asked above and beyond the civics test.

Thanks,

Andrew
Old Jul 13th 2018, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citzenship Interview

Originally Posted by AndyW149
Hi all,

I have my Citizenship interview at the end of the month (Denver office). I have all the documents ready to go, but just wondering if anyone has some insight into what to expect from the interview, specifically the types of questions I am likely to be asked above and beyond the civics test.

Thanks,

Andrew
It depends. On what basis have you applied ? 5 years residency or via marriage (3 years eligibility) ?
Old Jul 13th 2018, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Might have helped if I included that!!

5 years residency.

I originally got my GC through US citizen spouse but we have since divorced (divorced Feb 2017)
Old Jul 13th 2018, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

The 5-years eligibility basis tends to be a less stressful interview, since there's far lower burden of proof involved. I had my interview 2 days ago. My eligibility was the same, though it was an employment-sponsored green card.

It's really not an interrogation. If you have a mistake in your application, they'll correct it for you. Don't sweat it. I managed to do something as dumb indicate I've an extra wife - I listed my number of marriages as 2 instead of 1. She was happy to correct it and treat it as nothing more than a typo. I had further updates to my travel record, and the testing portion was as simple as it could be. I had a traffic ticket, and she waved me off when I attempted to take out the paperwork from my folio case.

It's a low stress conversation, similar to the distinction between the treatment you get as a GC at a point of entry, vs being a visitor on a visa. There isn't an underlying presumption of guilt involved, and they're simply confirming data they already have, and addressing any things that are unclear, missing or have changed.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Great, thank you for the information. I have all the required docs lined up, including proof of selective service registration, tax transcripts etc., just didn't have much info on the kinds of Qs they asked. I intend to work and live in the US indefinitely (i.e. continue to pay taxes here) so hopefully not too many issues at interview.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

If you received your green card after the age of 26, then the selective service letter is unnecessary . They didn’t ask me for tax transcripts even though I carried mine with me .

The only thing I can assume they might probe about is the legitimacy of your past marriage (there were ‘marriage fraud is a crime’ pamphlets in the interviewers room).

I was asked something analogous - why had I changed companies soon after my green card . I responded that the statement was untrue and that it was my employer who had been acquired around the time . I offered to show her the press release but she waved me off with a smile.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 1:59 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I had my interview a couple of days ago (based on marriage, been together for 10 years, 7 of those in UK).

I brought a binder full of all the evidence I submitted, he did not seem remotely interested in any of it. We went through the six civics questions, I wrote out a sentence on a piece of paper and we went over a couple of the questions from the N400 (have you ever been involved in terrorism etc, etc.)

Asides from that, no other questions, other than chit chat about Trump's visit to the UK, and the baby blimp (which he thought was hilarious). A couple of biometric fingerprints were taken, and it was all over in under twenty minutes.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Mine went exactly the same way. Just went through the civics questions and then the N400. I’m divorced from my American spouse whom I originally got my green card and he didn’t even ask me about that or prove me on whether it was
legitimate. He just told me I was approved and oath ceremony should be 2-3 weeks.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 5:00 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was completely uneventful and he didn't ask me any personal questions, except to verify what was on the N400. My immigration lawyer came with me because he happens to be my other half and I had a hard time stifling my giggles because the officer reminded me so much of the sloth in Zootopia and I knew my partner was thinking the same thing. There was no small talk and any jokes I made were ignored. The finish line is very much in sight, so good luck!
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 8:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

There were jokes at Federal Plaza's USCIS office when my husband went for his N-400 interview. When asked why the Pilgrims came to America, hubby told him because they wanted a Big Mac. After the test, they chatted for a while. In fact when hubby mentioned In was in the waiting room, the interviewer asked if he could out to meet me as hubby had told him I was the one responsible for the concise and thorough USCIS forms from initial I-129F to the N-400. We spent at least 10 minutes just chatting in the waiting room.

Last edited by Rete; Aug 3rd 2018 at 8:44 pm.