Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Citizenship. To wait or not to wait?

Citizenship. To wait or not to wait?

Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:45 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship. To wait or not to wait?

Originally Posted by TruBrit View Post
haha only here for 3 weeks then off back to uk for xmas
Yeah........... rub it in why don't ya...

Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:58 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

haha only here for 3 weeks then off back to uk for xmas
Lovely to see you're back, TB Bump into Vic by any chance ?
Old Nov 26th 2007, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Desdemona View Post
Lovely to see you're back, TB Bump into Vic by any chance ?
tks desi...yep, she came and stayed for a few days

what says you, all ok??
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:57 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

tks desi...yep, she came and stayed for a few days what says you, all ok??
Doing just fine. Thanks for asking. Love to Vic if you hear from her. I hope all's well with her. Are Rob and Pierce joining her for Xmas ?
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

me. i'm on my second 10yr green card and will not be taking my oath before i return to the uk to live perm. it has no benefits to me whatsoever.
Apart from the costs involved in becoming a citizen, I cant think of any detriment to becoming a citizen in your case, in being a long term resident of the US. You are supposed to file US taxes for as long as you are a Green card holder and in the case of a LTR 10 years after the renunciation of your residency.

Of course if you are absolutely sure you will never go back as a citizen, it would be a waste of the application fee.

Good luck.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dave_Was View Post
Of course if you are absolutely sure you will never go back as a citizen, it would be a waste of the application fee.
haha, i am absolutely 100% sure
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
Yeah........... rub it in why don't ya...

I've got one better I'll be back in the UK next Thursday just for Christmas though.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elaine B. View Post
I've got one better I'll be back in the UK next Thursday just for Christmas though.
and i'll be hot on your heels across the pond again, this time for xmas
Old Nov 27th 2007, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

I'm leaving on the 23rd Dec. for a 2 week Christmas visit, can't wait
Old Nov 29th 2007, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Citizenship. To wait or not to wait?

I am on a 457 Visa in Australia and have been here since 1999. I am heading back to England mid next year for an undisclosed time period, i.e see how I go.

I could get residency through employer nominated visa now but it requires me (in my situation) to commit to a 3 year deal with the company who sponsor me (a third party entity) which means i wouldnt be able to leave Australia until end of 2010 and I am hanging to go now and intend to be well settled by next summer.

I am 32 so could easily regain sponsorship if I really wanted to go back to Australia but am happy to take the risk either way rather than spend another minute by going quietly insane.....
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

me. i'm on my second 10yr green card and will not be taking my oath before i return to the uk to live perm. it has no benefits to me whatsoever.
So you are completely giving up the opportunity to ever return? Or you have another way if necessary? (Sorry, I don't know your story).