British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Citizenship. To wait or not to wait? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/citizenship-wait-not-wait-496065/)

Elvira Nov 26th 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Citizenship. To wait or not to wait?

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5602951)
haha only here for 3 weeks then off back to uk for xmas :)

Yeah........... rub it in why don't ya... :rolleyes:

:D

Desdemona Nov 26th 2007 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5602951)
haha only here for 3 weeks then off back to uk for xmas :)

Lovely to see you're back, TB :) Bump into Vic by any chance ?

TruBrit Nov 26th 2007 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Desdemona (Post 5603237)
Lovely to see you're back, TB :) Bump into Vic by any chance ?

tks desi...yep, she came and stayed for a few days :)

what says you, all ok??

Desdemona Nov 27th 2007 1:57 am

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5603243)
tks desi...yep, she came and stayed for a few days :) what says you, all ok??

Doing just fine. Thanks for asking. Love to Vic if you hear from her. I hope all's well with her. Are Rob and Pierce joining her for Xmas ?

Dave_Was Nov 27th 2007 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5602903)
me. i'm on my second 10yr green card and will not be taking my oath before i return to the uk to live perm. it has no benefits to me whatsoever.

Apart from the costs involved in becoming a citizen, I cant think of any detriment to becoming a citizen in your case, in being a long term resident of the US. You are supposed to file US taxes for as long as you are a Green card holder and in the case of a LTR 10 years after the renunciation of your residency.

Of course if you are absolutely sure you will never go back as a citizen, it would be a waste of the application fee.

Good luck.

TruBrit Nov 27th 2007 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dave_Was (Post 5605989)
Of course if you are absolutely sure you will never go back as a citizen, it would be a waste of the application fee.

haha, i am absolutely 100% sure ;)

Elaine B. Nov 27th 2007 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5602957)
Yeah........... rub it in why don't ya... :rolleyes:

:D

I've got one better I'll be back in the UK next Thursday:p just for Christmas though.

TruBrit Nov 27th 2007 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 5606185)
I've got one better I'll be back in the UK next Thursday:p just for Christmas though.

and i'll be hot on your heels across the pond again, this time for xmas :thumbup:

Marmalade Nov 27th 2007 4:07 pm

I'm leaving on the 23rd Dec. for a 2 week Christmas visit, can't wait:thumbsup:

Sherro Nov 29th 2007 5:45 am

I am on a 457 Visa in Australia and have been here since 1999. I am heading back to England mid next year for an undisclosed time period, i.e see how I go.

I could get residency through employer nominated visa now but it requires me (in my situation) to commit to a 3 year deal with the company who sponsor me (a third party entity) which means i wouldnt be able to leave Australia until end of 2010 and I am hanging to go now and intend to be well settled by next summer.

I am 32 so could easily regain sponsorship if I really wanted to go back to Australia but am happy to take the risk either way rather than spend another minute by going quietly insane.....

USAGypsies Dec 3rd 2007 4:38 am

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5602903)
me. i'm on my second 10yr green card and will not be taking my oath before i return to the uk to live perm. it has no benefits to me whatsoever.

So you are completely giving up the opportunity to ever return? Or you have another way if necessary? (Sorry, I don't know your story).