British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Citizenship. To wait or not to wait? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/citizenship-wait-not-wait-496065/)

USAGypsies Nov 24th 2007 8:18 pm

Citizenship. To wait or not to wait?

Who has or would consider returning to the UK at the risk of never being able to return to the country they left.... oh that doesn't make proper sense does it?!?!

Okay..... here's an example. We are in the USA and I can get my cit.ship next spring summer but my OH can't get his until the following spring at best. I'm having an 'impatient day' so right now this feels like a wait time of forever! Although we have always said that we would NOT risk losing the opportunity to return to the USA in the future by burning this one-off bridge and secure our citizenships before leaving, I'm wondering how many others have or will be turning their backs on the waiting game in favour of getting back to the UK faster.

Someone once said to me 'Impatience costs'. It's true.... like I said, I'm just having an impatient day! ;)

Scout Nov 24th 2007 8:29 pm

Re: Citizenship. To wait or not to wait?

My husband did. He hated the States and swears he will never go back. It doesn't seem to bother him any or me. Others will tell you to get it just in case but as an American Citizen, the thought of having to go through the nightmare of filing US Federal Tax Forms when you don't have to is just bizarre.

JAJ Nov 25th 2007 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Scout (Post 5596650)
My husband did. He hated the States and swears he will never go back. It doesn't seem to bother him any or me. Others will tell you to get it just in case but as an American Citizen, the thought of having to go through the nightmare of filing US Federal Tax Forms when you don't have to is just bizarre.

I would say that if:

- you really don't like your adopted home, and
- you're sure that's what you really feel and not just what you think you feel, and
- you've been there long enough to "give it a chance"

then there's not much to be gained by staying long enough to become a citizen.

The caveat on all this is if you have children. It is not necessarily a good idea for parents not to have the same nationality rights as their children. And it is definitely not a good idea for siblings to have different nationality rights, if this can possibly be avoided (high risk of conflict/resentment).

dunroving Nov 25th 2007 9:44 am

Originally Posted by USAGypsies (Post 5596624)
Who has or would consider returning to the UK at the risk of never being able to return to the country they left.... oh that doesn't make proper sense does it?!?!

Okay..... here's an example. We are in the USA and I can get my cit.ship next spring summer but my OH can't get his until the following spring at best. I'm having an 'impatient day' so right now this feels like a wait time of forever! Although we have always said that we would NOT risk losing the opportunity to return to the USA in the future by burning this one-off bridge and secure our citizenships before leaving, I'm wondering how many others have or will be turning their backs on the waiting game in favour of getting back to the UK faster.

Someone once said to me 'Impatience costs'. It's true.... like I said, I'm just having an impatient day! ;)

If you got USC, that means you have the option at a later date of sponsoring yor husband, right? Maybe that's the compromise to take. Next spring is just around the corner - much easier to wait just a few months and give yourself options, IMO ...

Serenity Nov 25th 2007 12:26 pm

It would be good to look at whether you could fulfill the monetary requirements of the visa if your OH is not a US citizen and you choose to return. Most of the couples I know who have returned when one is not an American have had to be sponsored by a family member of the American spouse, but you may be richer! Of course there is also the option of one returning first and becoming employed. Just something to keep in mind.

USAGypsies Nov 25th 2007 1:51 pm

Absolutely. I have asked a question or 2 in the Visa Immigration side about sponsoring a spouse as this is a new area for me. So far the answers are encouraging. I think we will get mine and my teen's and then apply for the 2 year leave for my OH to get the full shelf life out of his current GC. Then if we pass 2 years without returning we'll apply for OH through London Embassy again if we need to and work out how to show income/assets etc.
I think you read my mind, Dunroving. The option to go sooner and still not completely burn the bridge back in is an attractive one. Psychologically, the thought of putting up our Christmas tree 1 or even 2 more times feels like a very long time and I feel as though I am far too early on in the return to even make plans or talk about it on ex-pat's... Next spring/Summer is much more real.

Elvira Nov 25th 2007 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by USAGypsies (Post 5598301)
Absolutely. I have asked a question or 2 in the Visa Immigration side about sponsoring a spouse as this is a new area for me. So far the answers are encouraging. I think we will get mine and my teen's and then apply for the 2 year leave for my OH to get the full shelf life out of his current GC. Then if we pass 2 years without returning we'll apply for OH through London Embassy again if we need to and work out how to show income/assets etc.......

I think you are referring to form I-131, the re-entry permit? Just make sure you read the conditions carefully. AFAIK you may need to be able to prove that you have not abandoned residency completely, i.e. that you were planning to return - though I'm not sure what exactly this entails.

simongb Nov 25th 2007 3:51 pm

I got citizenship. Even though I find it difficult here, I thought I should get something out of being in the US. You never know, I may want to retire here in the future (I am going back to the UK at some point in the very near future).

USAGypsies Nov 26th 2007 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5598354)
I think you are referring to form I-131, the re-entry permit? Just make sure you read the conditions carefully. AFAIK you may need to be able to prove that you have not abandoned residency completely, i.e. that you were planning to return - though I'm not sure what exactly this entails.

Thanks for that Elvira. I have read a few times that leaving for more than 6 months could cause eyebrows to raise... after 1 year and it's a high risk return and we better have active US bank accounts, tax returns, property, employers letter the whole 'sha-bang'.

Did I read somewhere that I must file tax returns as a US Cit. when I am living in the UK?

JAJ Nov 26th 2007 2:54 am

Originally Posted by USAGypsies (Post 5600432)
Did I read somewhere that I must file tax returns as a US Cit. when I am living in the UK?

Yes, even though you might not need to pay much, or anything.

And while your husband's green card is valid (plus for some period after that, possibly) he must file too.

For abandonment issues, http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Green_Card_Abandonment is a good start.

dewdrop Nov 26th 2007 3:36 pm

I haven't got my Canadian citizenship. and will be leaving without it.

One of the two should get the US citizenship, as once said to me, 'what happens if one of your children wants to move back to the US'?

Dave_Was Nov 26th 2007 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by USAGypsies (Post 5600432)

Yes you need to files US taxes if you are a US citizen no matter where in the world you are.

If you're husband will be classed as a long term resident, something like he has had his green card for the last 8 years which I don't think is the case, he will need to file taxes for the next 10 years.

Good luck.

TruBrit Nov 26th 2007 6:32 pm

Who has or would consider returning to the UK at the risk of never being able to return to the country they left....

me. i'm on my second 10yr green card and will not be taking my oath before i return to the uk to live perm. it has no benefits to me whatsoever.

Elvira Nov 26th 2007 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5602903)
me. i'm on my second 10yr green card and will not be taking my oath before i return to the uk to live perm. it has no benefits to me whatsoever.

Helllllllllllllloooooooooooo!!!

Where have you been???

(This is of course an entirely rhetorical question :p)

:)

TruBrit Nov 26th 2007 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5602948)
Helllllllllllllloooooooooooo!!!

Where have you been???

(This is of course an entirely rhetorical question :p)

:)

haha only here for 3 weeks then off back to uk for xmas :)