Citizenship for under 18s

Old Jun 20th 2019, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Washahore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship for under 18s

Hi,
I am currently in the process of naturalization after having a green card for 9 years. I had my biometrics this week and have a timeline of probably another 5 months.
Apologies if I’ve missed a thread on this already!
My oldest daughter is 14 and a UK citizen on a green card also. My husband will start the naturalization process next month as we needed to spread the cost!
My question is - assuming all goes okay at my interview and I get citizenship at the oath ceremony, what is the best way to then gain it for her as an under 18?
Can I just apply for a US passport for her when I apply for mine? Would it be better to wait until both her Dad and me are citizens? Is there anything else I would have to do?
There wouldn’t be any particular rush, I would just like to be able to do it for the least amount of money!
Thanks in advance
Old Jun 20th 2019, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship for under 18s

Provided your daughter is resident in the US with the two of you, she automatically becomes a US citizen when you take oath as one. There's no procedure involved for her to gain US citizenship - she's a US citizen the moment you become one too, i.e. when you're done repeating the oath. You can choose to apply for the expensive N-600 certificate, or you can simply use the proof of your citizenship in conjunction with her birth certificate to get her a US passport.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Washahore is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that. I thought that was the case but couldn’t remember where I’d read it. I think it would be nice for her to have something ‘in hand’ like a US passport to prove her citizenship so I’ll go that route.
Who else has to be told of her change of status? School? SS? I’m guessing also her employer as she has a part time job!
Old Jun 20th 2019, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

Derivative Citizenship for Minors - Residing with USC Parent in US

At your oath ceremony, you'll be informed as to how to file the SS-5 to inform the Social Security Administration of your change of status. They'll tell you to wait a while, because it takes time for SSA's systems to capture the change in status , but there's no rush. I still haven't done mine, almost a year since my ceremony. I informed my employer and they took a copy of my US passport bio page and updated the I9.