Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

citizenship and travel 6month and two weeks tripk

citizenship and travel 6month and two weeks tripk

Old Jun 25th 2018, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

topegar77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb citizenship and travel 6month and two weeks tripk

hi

I know you guys are not a lawyer but perhaps can help me with my inquiry. Let me briefly explain my situation:
- GGCC holder since 03/22/13 - i went to the Us to "activate" the residency because i was about to give birth in my country.
- I left USA on 03/25/13
- I had my baby and went back here in 10/07/13 - trip of 6 months and 2 weeks or so.
- I remained in the US since then.

Since the trip is a bit tricky i decided to wait until 10/07/18 to file my citizenship and i am planning to do it 90 days before (07/07/18).

Is it my interpretation ok? I am thinking that perhaps i have to wait until October to fill it since July-13 i was kind of in the middle of the 6-month trip.

Any idea or thought are welcome!
Old Jun 26th 2018, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citizenship and travel 6month and two weeks tripk

IIRC the online N400 calculates this for you, once you enter the travel dates. I can't remember if it says you're eligible for citizenship based on those numbers though. We were well over the minimum requirement so it was a non-issue for us.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 12:04 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What is a GGCC? A green card perhaps? You can't activate a green card. So you must have had a visa which resulted in your being made a permanent resident when you entered the POE on the visa. What was the basis for the visa? Marriage to a US Citizen? Regardless, your thoughts are correct. You can file 90 days before the eligibility date for naturalization. Count the days carefully back from 10/7 to find the true date you would be eligible to file for naturalization. Some months have 30 days and others have 31. It is not 3 months but 90 days.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the USCIS filing date calculator page: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...alculator.html

The link above is accessible from https://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-ea...ing-calculator
Old Jun 26th 2018, 2:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
What is a GGCC? A green card perhaps? You can't activate a green card. So you must have had a visa which resulted in your being made a permanent resident when you entered the POE on the visa. What was the basis for the visa? Marriage to a US Citizen? Regardless, your thoughts are correct. You can file 90 days before the eligibility date for naturalization. Count the days carefully back from 10/7 to find the true date you would be eligible to file for naturalization. Some months have 30 days and others have 31. It is not 3 months but 90 days.
it was the visa as you said, i wont the lottery so i had to wait for the 5 years. Thanks, i will calculate it.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 11:17 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of curiosity, did you get a visa for the baby? You imply that he/she was born in your home country, and you are clearly not a US citizen. The child would have required entry documents of some kind, unless of course the father was a USC.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 5:45 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Word of warning based upon past experience: DHS may not recognize the 90 day rule in computing continuous residence before filing.

Also, when there is a beak in continuity of presence, it has been general practice that the last 364 days of the absence will be counted towards the required presences. So, lets say a person is out two years [assuming no abandonment of residence status], the practice was that they could apply FOUR years one day after return. Many people would miss that one.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 5:50 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Just out of curiosity, did you get a visa for the baby? You imply that he/she was born in your home country, and you are clearly not a US citizen. The child would have required entry documents of some kind, unless of course the father was a USC.
Just out of my own idle curiosity, why do you not give credence to the time line posted by OP?
Old Jun 27th 2018, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Everything was perfectly sorted before arriving. The consulate was very helpful
Old Jun 27th 2018, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: citizenship and travel 6month and two weeks trip

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Word of warning based upon past experience: DHS may not recognize the 90 day rule in computing continuous residence before filing.

Also, when there is a beak in continuity of presence, it has been general practice that the last 364 days of the absence will be counted towards the required presences. So, lets say a person is out two years [assuming no abandonment of residence status], the practice was that they could apply FOUR years one day after return. Many people would miss that one.
What do you mean about the 90-day rule?

As for you second parraphaph, i have heard the 4+1. In my case, my trip was atat s beginning of my residence, 6month andatwo weeks and i didnt request the document to return back but i had no problem entering.

I was thinking to play safe and wait 5 years after i returned... So tricky!
Old Jun 27th 2018, 7:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The 90 day rule, i.e. filing 90 days before you are actually eligible.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

so that means that DHS might not take into account the 90 days? That's what i am assuming...
Old Jun 27th 2018, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

So what happens if OP files before they are deemed to be eligible? Money returned or money lost? IOW would it be better for OP to wait until definitely eligible (5 years after 2nd entry to be sure)?
Old Jun 27th 2018, 10:32 pm
Concierge

It would be rejected. Hey, it is only 90 days, a little less than 3 months. Wait until the full time is spent and then apply. It's not like it is a wait of six months or more.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GeoffM
So what happens if OP files before they are deemed to be eligible? Money returned or money lost?
Originally Posted by Rete
It would be rejected
Well, obviously, but I asked about the money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.