Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Citizenship - thinking of taking the plunge!

Citizenship - thinking of taking the plunge!

Old Jan 2nd 2015, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of
Default Citizenship - thinking of taking the plunge!

I've lived in the US for almost 5 years now. I'm a LPR with conditions removed. I figure I may as well become a citizen as I have no intentions to ever move back to the UK and my husband and I wish to start a family soon. I thought it would be nice to have US Citizenship along with my children. Of course there are many more benefits to being a citizen which I am aware of.

I'm just looking for other people that have been through the process. I used an attorney for my AOS and ROC. Looking back I probably could have done it myself. I've filed my taxes every year and never been in trouble with the law so I figure it will be pretty straightforward.

I am not working at the moment due to a number of complications and surgeries on my hands. We have enough money put away to support ourselves and my husband works full time. I'm not sure if the finances thing comes into it at all.

Is the paperwork more straightforward then the AOS and ROC?

I know there's a test, which looks like it may be pretty easy based on the mock tests I have taken and passed.

Any more information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

- Stephanie
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 8:33 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship - thinking of taking the plunge!

Do it yourself. It is a very simple process. The citizenship questions you will be asked at your interview are also very straightforward -- a few days swatting beforehand, and you'll be all set. Good luck!
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

The only finances required is the fees for filing the N-400 and biometrics. Comes to about $750 or so, if I recall. Plus if you want to travel after you naturalize, you'll need to get a US passport.

I filled out the form earlier this year. Haven't filed yet for reasons of inertia - as I'd be filing based on three years as an LPR married to and living with a USC I need to also supply evidence of that relationship, and ICBA to get it together. I may end up waiting until I qualify based on 5 years as a LPR. As it sounds like you'll be qualifying on that basis there isn't really much more to it than filing the N-400, having your biometrics done and then the naturalization interview and oath.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83
I'm just looking for other people that have been through the process.
I naturalized as a USC... very straight forward process. You don't need an attorney!

I'm not sure if the finances thing comes into it at all.
It does not. There is no financial requirement for naturalization other than the application fee.

Is the paperwork more straightforward then the AOS and ROC?
Yes... much!

Ian
Old Jan 4th 2015, 1:45 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Citizenship & Naturalization - Volume 12 | Policy Manual | USCIS
Old Jan 4th 2015, 2:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As Ian has said on previous occasions when this question has come up, naturalization is the first and only step on the pathway from foreign immigrant to USC where the US government wants you to succeed and is not putting obstacles in your way. In short a lawyer is absolutely not necessary.

The interview and test questions are not any challenge at all to a native English speaker with a vague awareness of US history and an equally vague awareness of how the government of the US is organized.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 4:42 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Most people DIY without an attorney. Natz is one of those areas where the minions of the Dark Forces are usually on the side of the applicants.

There can be problems that can blow up in one's face, but most people don't have them. When I was in practice, I had a few clients who I assisted in obtaining LPR status and then later obtained LPR status for family members after client did natz themselves. I recall one client where the subsequent family adjustments damn near led to denaturalization proceedings. But that was a rare case. More common was where the natz led to removal proceedings.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Jan 4th 2015 at 4:49 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Just adding weight to what others have already said. We did our citizenship applications ourselves. Very easy.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of

Thank you everyone!
Old Jan 14th 2015, 2:13 am
British Expat in Texas

Kintsukuroi is an unknown quantity at this point

I just filed my citizenship application in October based on the 5 year rule. The paperwork was super easy. I had my interview last week and it only lasted 10 minutes. Passed with flying colors and now I'm just awaiting my oath notification.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

PeppaPigA113 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As Ian has said on previous occasions when this question has come up, naturalization is the first and only step on the pathway from foreign immigrant to USC where the US government wants you to succeed and is not putting obstacles in your way. In short a lawyer is absolutely not necessary.

The interview and test questions are not any challenge at all to a native English speaker with a vague awareness of US history and an equally vague awareness of how the government of the US is organized.
what questions do they ask you in interview?
Old Jan 14th 2015, 10:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeppaPigA113
Old Jan 14th 2015, 10:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Back in 2007, my interview was an hour long, which appeared to be standard, of which 10 minutes was spent on the matter in hand. The rest was spent shooting the breeze about, in no particular order: the Falklands war, the Gulf war(s), Saddam Hussein and other Middle Eastern despots, the (then current) Afghan war and previous conflicts in Afghanistan, the method of government in the UK, the Royal family, the history of the Royal family and how it relates to the government of the UK, including the Act of Union, renovating houses, in the UK and US, rewiring work and electrical standards, plumbing, roofs, and other sundry construction topics, such as hardwood flooring, crawlspaces the joys of working in them, and how to deal with the dirt, damp, and the bugs and critters you might find down there. It was a busy hour!

Er, YMMV.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 2:00 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeppaPigA113
All of the questions are freely available online. All you have to do is do a quick Google search for them.

Ian
Old Jan 15th 2015, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I sent off mine and my husband's applications in the same envelope in early October 2014. Our biometrics were scheduled in Newark on separate dates at the end of October but neither of us could make those appointments so did walk ins at the Philadelphia office and were seen within 5 minutes of arriving. My 10 minute interview was December 15 at 1:00 pm and oath ceremony was the same day at 3:00 pm. In total my application took 80 days from start to finish. My US passport arrived last week.

After the Oath ceremony we asked the supervisor why my husband had not received his interview appointment and he said most families interviews are scheduled for the same day so he would look into his case and get back to us. We received a call back from the supervisor the same day and he apologized for the delay and told us all my husband's background security checks have cleared but for some unknown reason his case is stuck in the system. If he doesn't receive an appointment date by the end of this month we were told to call the info pass number.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.