Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Citizenship and passport question..

Citizenship and passport question..

Old Jan 21st 2020, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship and passport question..

Probably a stupid question, but when I become a USC, do I need a US passport to travel or can I still travel on my UK passport? I have my USC interview next month, and we had been thinking of going to the UK around april, but I don't know when my ceremony will be and I read it can take 6-8 weeks to get a passport. So, when I become a USC, will I need to get a US passport to leave? I intend on doing it anyway, just thinking about the timing.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 6:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship and passport question..

US law requires that US citizens, including dual citizens of other countries, use a US passport to enter and leave the US.

The "leave" is a bit nebulous as AFAIK passports aren't usually checked when you leave the US, but yes as a US Citizen, you MUST have a US passport to enter the US. You can end up with some very awkward questions and an extended delay for questioning if as a USC, you try to enter the US using a foreign passport.

If you're concerned about timing, delay your citizenship interview until after your trip.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 21st 2020 at 6:27 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
US law requires that US citizens, including dual citizens of other countries, use a US passport to enter and leave the US.

The "leave" is a bit nebulous as AFAIK passports aren't usually checked when you leave the US, but yes as a US Citizen, you MUST have a US passport to enter the US. You can end up with some very awkward questions and an extended delay for questioning if as a USC, you try to enter the US using a foreign passport.

If you're concerned about timing, delay your citizenship interview until after your trip.
Thanks, thought as much. To clarify, when I say 'do it anyway', I meant to get a US passport. I'll just hold off on booking any trips.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 7:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejp
Thanks, thought as much. To clarify, when I say 'do it anyway', I meant to get a US passport. I'll just hold off on booking any trips.
You're welcome, but there's no harm at all to doing it the other way, delaying your interview until after a trip.