Citizenship!!! oh crap

Old May 1st 2012, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship!!! oh crap

Finally, after 5 years of living here i have been awarded citizenship.

Process was really simple and pain free, quick too.
I applied 4 years and 9 months after i moved here, had my interview 4 weeks after my 5 year anniversary, and have my Naturalization ceremony in 2 weeks time (4 weeks after interview).

Problem is, i have to surrender my greencard and need to travel to Hong Kong for work the week after my ceremony. I cant get a US passport that quickly!

Any ideas?
Old May 1st 2012, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship!!! oh crap

http://travel.state.gov/passport/hurry/hurry_831.html
Old May 1st 2012, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

still takes at least a week, i dont have that long...PLUS i have to send my naturalization certificate which i dont want to do before i travel.....
Old May 1st 2012, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Postpone your trip.
Old May 1st 2012, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Postpone your trip.
Or postpone the oath ceremony ...
Old May 1st 2012, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

yeah.... just spoke with passport office and USCIS... im bolloxed.
I guess i cant go and exhibit at the trade show in hong kong.
Old May 1st 2012, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

i can only postpone one ceremony. if the second one comes in as a date when im out of the country, i have to start the process all over again.
Old May 1st 2012, 7:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by basementwaj
i can only postpone one ceremony. if the second one comes in as a date when im out of the country, i have to start the process all over again.
Really? I hadn't heard of that...where did you read/hear that?

There are a few passport offices around the USA, where they actually do same-day service. I know there's one in Tucson AZ and one somewhere in Oregon, I think? Have a look around on the net and see where the others are, and arrange a 1-day trip there to get your US Passport in 1 day.

Rene
Old May 1st 2012, 7:54 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Without thinking this through - what would stop you using your British Passport?
Old May 1st 2012, 7:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Finally, after 5 years of living here i have been awarded citizenship....

...and have my Naturalization ceremony in 2 weeks time (4 weeks after interview).
You haven't yet been awarded citizenship. You won't be awarded citizenship until after you take the oath at the naturalization ceremony.

Rene
Old May 1st 2012, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RICH
Without thinking this through - what would stop you using your British Passport?
US citizens must, by law, enter the US on a US passport. I don't know what would actually happen if OP were to use a British Passport for the trip though.
Old May 1st 2012, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Really? I hadn't heard of that...where did you read/hear that?

There are a few passport offices around the USA, where they actually do same-day service. I know there's one in Tucson AZ and one somewhere in Oregon, I think? Have a look around on the net and see where the others are, and arrange a 1-day trip there to get your US Passport in 1 day.

Rene
In the documentation i have, and during the interview, it was made clear to me that i can only miss one ceremony. If i skip two then i have to reapply for citizenship.

I think i will have to apply to the Atlanta office for a 'submit in person' process and hope that i get an appointment and passport before i have to leave for work!
Old May 1st 2012, 8:33 pm

In the documentation i have, and during the interview, it was made clear to me that i can only miss one ceremony. If i skip two then i have to reapply for citizenship.
I see. I was hoping for a link, but I can research it.

I think i will have to apply to the Atlanta office for a 'submit in person' process and hope that i get an appointment and passport before i have to leave for work!

http://travel.state.gov/passport/npi...ncies_913.html

Rene
Old May 1st 2012, 8:43 pm

The USCIS Guide to Naturalization doesn't say there's a limit on how many times you can reschedule the oath ceremony:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/chapter3.pdf

20. What should I do if I cannot go to my oath ceremony?

If you cannot go to the oath ceremony, you should return the “Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony” (Form N-445) that you received to your local USCIS office. Include a letter saying why you cannot go to the ceremony. Make a copy of the notice and your letter before you send them to USCIS. Your local USCIS office will reschedule you and send you a new “Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony” (Form N-445) to tell you when your ceremony will be.

Rene
Old May 1st 2012, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the ceremony, apply for US passport, leave on UK passport, get someone to fed ex US passport to you while you're away, renter on US passport?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.