Wikiposts

Citizenship Issue

Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:49 am
Just Joined

DanielJF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship Issue

Hi everyone,

First off, I'm really not 100% sure on whether or not this is the right forum section for my thread. If not I apologise in advance and would appreciate it if a moderator could possibly move this thread to the appropriate section.

So to begin with I'm from Northern Ireland and am currently in the middle of my A-Levels. Recently, I have been researching universities and university courses etc. A lot of the courses which interest me (Business and Economics based) have opportunities to spend a year studying abroad in the US, which is something I would love to do given the chance. After coming across this fantastic site I noticed in "Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA" that Irish students or recent graduates can be eligible for a 12 month working visa. In the likely event that I take on a course which allows me to spend time studying in the US this visa would definitely be of interest to me afterwards, provided I enjoy my time in the US during my studies of course.

Basically, I want to try and determine if I would be eligible for this. I was born in Northern Ireland as were both my parents, I have access to the NHS etc. However, I have an Irish passport and my Grandmother was born in the Republic of Ireland. Does this mean I have dual citizenship (Irish and British)? If not could I become a dual citizen since my Grandmother was born down south? Also does anyone know if the visa I mentioned above applies only to Irish students who have studied at a southern university or could I still be eligible if I studied in say Belfast.

Wow, after proof reading this I appreciate it is far from concise so a big thanks to anyone who is still with me and could help me out.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 8:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Issue

What visa exactly are you looking at and what are your exact first goals?

You can get a student visa. - F1

You can do a student exchange - F1 or J1

Why make things more complicated?

Anyway, welcome to BE and good luck!
Old Nov 27th 2012, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanielJF
Hi everyone,

First off, I'm really not 100% sure on whether or not this is the right forum section for my thread. If not I apologise in advance and would appreciate it if a moderator could possibly move this thread to the appropriate section.

So to begin with I'm from Northern Ireland and am currently in the middle of my A-Levels. Recently, I have been researching universities and university courses etc. A lot of the courses which interest me (Business and Economics based) have opportunities to spend a year studying abroad in the US, which is something I would love to do given the chance. After coming across this fantastic site I noticed in "Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA" that Irish students or recent graduates can be eligible for a 12 month working visa. In the likely event that I take on a course which allows me to spend time studying in the US this visa would definitely be of interest to me afterwards, provided I enjoy my time in the US during my studies of course.

Basically, I want to try and determine if I would be eligible for this. I was born in Northern Ireland as were both my parents, I have access to the NHS etc. However, I have an Irish passport and my Grandmother was born in the Republic of Ireland. Does this mean I have dual citizenship (Irish and British)? If not could I become a dual citizen since my Grandmother was born down south? Also does anyone know if the visa I mentioned above applies only to Irish students who have studied at a southern university or could I still be eligible if I studied in say Belfast.

Wow, after proof reading this I appreciate it is far from concise so a big thanks to anyone who is still with me and could help me out.
Yes you are a dual citizen of the UK and Ireland, by virtue of being born in that part of the island of Ireland (which gets you Irish citizenship) which is part of the UK (which gets you British citizenship).

Not being Irish myself (although the missus has an Irish passport because her grandmother was born in NI even though that was back before what's now the Republic got its independence), I don't know the ins and outs of the Irish student visa but if I recall correctly it was set up by the US as a sweetener contribution to the whole Good Friday Agreement set-up and so applies to the whole of the island of Ireland, NI and the Republic.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rpjs
Yes you are a dual citizen of the UK and Ireland, by virtue of being born in that part of the island of Ireland (which gets you Irish citizenship) which is part of the UK (which gets you British citizenship).

Not being Irish myself (although the missus has an Irish passport because her grandmother was born in NI even though that was back before what's now the Republic got its independence), I don't know the ins and outs of the Irish student visa but if I recall correctly it was set up by the US as a sweetener contribution to the whole Good Friday Agreement set-up and so applies to the whole of the island of Ireland, NI and the Republic.
Thanks very much. Despite the length of my original post that's pretty much all I wanted to know
Old Nov 27th 2012, 8:49 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Grab your Irish passport and you're good to go.

Example program: http://www.go4less.ie/Working-Visas/...pplication.asp
Old Nov 27th 2012, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Grab your Irish passport and you're good to go.

Example program: http://www.go4less.ie/Working-Visas/...pplication.asp
Thank you. That is a very useful site.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:07 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. That is a very useful site.
There will be others. Shop around -- the prices may vary.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:30 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have been researching universities and university courses etc. A lot of the courses which interest me (Business and Economics based) have opportunities to spend a year studying abroad in the US, which is something I would love to do given the chance.
If you were born in NI, you're also eligible to apply for the Diversity Visa. Something to think about.

Ian