Citizenship Interview Checklist

Old Apr 5th 2001, 8:07 pm
James

I recently received a notice for my citizenship interview for next months. I have a
question about Selective Serivce and the Interview check list that I received with
the appointment.

The interview checklist looks exactly the same as the one on shusterman's site
www.shusterman.com/wr820.html My question is in regards to the selective service
requirement. I am 30 now and applying for naturalization through my wife who is a
citizen. I never registered for selective service, because I didn't know that there
was such a thing Do I still need to obtain an advisory letter from the selective
service, or can I adjust the 18-31 yrs to 18-29, since I am applying on the basis of
marriage they should only look back 3 years. That is 26 +5 = 31, so 26+3 =

Any information would be greatly appreciated I would love to hear if anyone else is
in the same situation. Thanks J

Old Apr 5th 2001, 11:12 pm
David R. Tucker

>
    >
    >

>

>

>
    >
    >

>
    >
    >

>
    >

>

You don't have to show you registered if you were not a permanent resident and had no
other obligation to register before you turned 26. See http://www.sss.gov/must.htm
(esp. the "Aliens" section).

I believe the "31" comes from a 5 year statute of limitations on failure to register
that ordinarily starts to tick when you turn 26, so if you were supposed to register
and did not, and you are over 31, you don't have to bother explaining yourself.

--
David R. Tucker [email protected]

"I may be wrong, but I'm not Clearly Erroneous."

- Judge Hillman

Old Apr 6th 2001, 3:27 pm
James

David, Thanks for the info. I am 30 now so I still have to show a letter. But my
question is that does the 5 year period change because I am applying on the basis of
marriage. It should be 3 years and I am older than 29 so it should not matter. I just
want to see if anyone else is in the same situation. Does that mean I don't have to
show a letter? if the INS is asking male applicants between 18 and 31 to show proof
of selective service registration. Does that mean that no proof of registration is
required for male applicants applying through marriage to US citizen which reduces
the statute to 3 years for good moral character. So 18-29 ? Any idea? Thanks again

Excerpt from http://www.shusterman.com/natz-ss99.html "Footnote:

[1] The 26 to 31 age range used in this memorandum must be adjusted for applicants
filing under sections of the INA requiring different periods of good moral
character. For example, the age range for an applicant filing under section
319(a) of the INA is between 26 to 29 years of age."

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I recently received a notice for my citizenship interview for next months. I have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > a question about Selective Serivce and the Interview check list that I received[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > with the appointment.[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > The interview checklist looks exactly the same as the one on shusterman's site[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > www.shusterman.com/wr820.html[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > My question is in regards to the selective service requirement. I am 30 now and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > applying for naturalization through my wife who is a citizen. I never registered[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for selective service, because I didn't know that there was such a thing[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Do I still need to obtain an advisory letter from the selective service, or can I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > adjust the 18-31 yrs to 18-29, since I am applying on the basis of marriage they[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > should only look back 3 years. That is 26 +5 = 31, so 26+3 = 29.[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Any information would be greatly appreciated I would love to hear if anyone else[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > is in the same situation.[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks J[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[email protected]
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 7th 2001, 1:35 am
Mitch Abaza

Since you're applying based on marriage to a US Citizen, don't forget to bring
evidence that your marriage has continued to be legitimate since you get your GC
approved. This can include joint account stmts, utility bills, house deeds, apt
leases. Most important will be copies of your joint tax filings for the last 3 years.

Good luck.

--
Mitch Abaza [email protected]

>
    >
that
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
now
    >
    >
such
    >
or
    >
    >
=
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 7th 2001, 3:46 am
James

Mitch, Thanks. The checklist does not ask for 3 years but I will take them with me.

>
    >
    >
bills,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I recently received a notice for my citizenship interview for next[/usenetquote2]
months.
[usenetquote2]> > I have a question about Selective Serivce and the Interview check list[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I received with the appointment.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > The interview checklist looks exactly the same as the one on[/usenetquote2]
shusterman's
[usenetquote2]> > site www.shusterman.com/wr820.html My question is in regards to the selective[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > service requirement. I am 30[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > and applying for naturalization through my wife who is a citizen. I[/usenetquote2]
never
[usenetquote2]> > registered for selective service, because I didn't know that there was[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > a thing Do I still need to obtain an advisory letter from the selective[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > service,[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > can I adjust the 18-31 yrs to 18-29, since I am applying on the basis of marriage[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > they should only look back 3 years. That is 26 +5 = 31, so[/usenetquote2]
26+3
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 29.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Any information would be greatly appreciated I would love to hear if anyone else[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > is in the same situation. Thanks J[/usenetquote2]

Old Apr 7th 2001, 9:18 pm
atsw

So, what if you do the same-day AOS in Dallas? I mean, if you just married, you
surely don't have so much to show yet!?

MArty

Old Apr 8th 2001, 12:18 am
Alvena Ferreira

atsw wrote:
    >
    >
    >
Ifyou are k-1, see this URL, the most recent Dallas experiences are at the bottom of
the URL: http://www.kamya.com/aos/texas.html#dallas

You don't need much in the way of proof, most of what you need is documents and
money. ; )

alvena

Old Apr 8th 2001, 6:13 pm
atsw

Oh, ok! Thank yoU! =) I am a k-1.

Martin

Old Apr 11th 2001, 9:36 am
nobody

Could you post the the it took for N400 filing? Like receipt date, fingerprint date,
interview date, oath date?

>
    >
    >

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >