Wikiposts

citizenship or go now!!!

Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

This is probably a stupid question, but do you keep your british passport after you get your asutralian passport? Also - does anyone know if the same sitiation applies to german people (we have German friends moving to oz)

Cheers!

Originally posted by dugongs
I may be hard but it is worth having just in case. You never know what happens in the future. Likewise for any expats it is worth keeping your brit passport as you never know how bad oz is going to get in 25 years - it could be underwater. Keep all options open.

The bit about your travel plans 12 months afterwards is bullshit. Do not say anything - you just will have to get called home to care for an elderly relative or decide to take an unexpected family holiday but you have every intention of coming back.

My interview was really straightforward and more like a chat. I had the ceremony about 3 months later.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 3:25 am
Just Joined

S Butterworth is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry not the best guy in the world with spelling etc. But can comunicate with people very well, and have a trade thats worthy. So don't get your Knickers in a twist teach
Old Apr 8th 2004, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by helenmaine
This is probably a stupid question, but do you keep your british passport after you get your asutralian passport? Also - does anyone know if the same sitiation applies to german people (we have German friends moving to oz)

Cheers!
Yes - you can keep your UK passport after you get your Oz passport (both counties permit you to be a citizen of the other) - I have both passports.

Not sure about the German situation. Oz immigration doesn't have a problem with a person being a citizen of another country while also being an Oz citizen. However, your friends will need to see if the German embassy holds a similar view.

Last edited by MikeStanton; Apr 8th 2004 at 5:25 am.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 5:46 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Not sure about the German situation. Oz immigration doesn't have a problem with a person being a citizen of another country while also being an Oz citizen. However, your friends will need to see if the German embassy holds a similar view.
According to this list, the Germans apparently do have problems with their citizens taking another oath and will lose German citizenship upon taking Oz citizenship

retain or lose
Old Apr 8th 2004, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Bob the Builder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by S Butterworth
Sorry not the best guy in the world with spelling etc. But can comunicate with people very well, and have a trade thats worthy. So don't get your Knickers in a twist teach
What is your trade mr Butterworth I see in your profile that you are a carpenter and a mechanical fitter. A carpenter, like Joseph, is a worthy trade but I wouldn't try mechy fitting no money ie pay peanuts get monkeys.

Bob
Old Apr 9th 2004, 1:41 am
Just Joined

S Butterworth is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you are quite correct bob the botcher it is poor pay in perth but if you were to do your research and work offshore you would see that we get paid a kings ransome for sitting on our hinds e-mailing shit like this to raggy arsed botchers like yourself.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 9:08 pm
Badge

an interesting one. I would stay - no two ways about it. My kids would not be happy to get to late 20s, want to start a family and then realise why it was we wanted to go there a generation ago -for example. I think you kids will thank you for at least giving them the option. When they come back say, as late teens, their peers will be jealous about the fact they can swan in and out...

Also you can't asuume you can easily migrate in 10 ys time etc as migration may be a different story and your job may have been wiped out by asian competition and doesn't exist anymore - and you'd have to wait a year for the visa.

BM

Old Apr 9th 2004, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Bob the Builder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by S Butterworth
Yes you are quite correct bob the botcher it is poor pay in perth but if you were to do your research and work offshore you would see that we get paid a kings ransome for sitting on our hinds e-mailing shit like this to raggy arsed botchers like yourself.

I see from your posts in the oz nz forum that you are a bit of a blanket welder. Is that what you get upto on this rig of yours when your not annoying people on this forum?

Bob
Old Apr 12th 2004, 3:10 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I hear this a lot from people who live here and are thinking about going back.

I just think that if you are so determined to go back and start again in the UK because you feel OZ isn't the place to live the rest of your lives then why would you want your citizenship.

After all, you have 5 years on your visa, you could always return within that time frame if you feel you've made a mistake when you get back to the UK?

If the time waiting till you qualify for your citizenship seems to far away then I think you should forget it.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Tapalinga is an unknown quantity at this point
Post thanx for your pros and cons

Thanx everyone for your replies. We have decided that we would not want to come back here to live for the main reason we are heading back, because it is too far away from our loved ones, so the citizenship will not happen....

Coming to oz has been a great learning curb for us, it was a journey that we had to take to get where we are today, and we are so glad that we took that leap into the unkown. I will and would not knock oz and try and put anyone off coming here, it is an adventure and at least we can say we done it. Good luck to everyone returning to the UK, look at it as just another part of your journey!!!!!
Love and lightx
Old Apr 16th 2004, 3:58 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: thanx for your pros and cons

Originally posted by Tapalinga
Thanx everyone for your replies. We have decided that we would not want to come back here to live for the main reason we are heading back, because it is too far away from our loved ones, so the citizenship will not happen....

Coming to oz has been a great learning curb for us, it was a journey that we had to take to get where we are today, and we are so glad that we took that leap into the unkown. I will and would not knock oz and try and put anyone off coming here, it is an adventure and at least we can say we done it. Good luck to everyone returning to the UK, look at it as just another part of your journey!!!!!
Love and lightx

I'd say hang on until you get it. I'm not staying here and can't see myself ever coming back, but I have taken out citizenship.. you do not know what the future will bring.. have you any kids? say, when they grow up.. they may want to take a working holiday to aus.. you getting citizenship means your kids can apply in later years.. there's a thousand reasons why I think it's a bit daft not to take it out. Do you travel a lot? You have the choice of two embassies if you get into trouble.

Citizenship.. from applying online ( submitting the forms doesn't take long ( well it didn't with me) .. 4 months from I first applied, to an interview (just your basic questions about date of birth etc,, and so you know your duties.. nothing major) to the final step of the ceremony, but it does depend on the immigration and when your council holds the ceremonies.

cheers
Old Apr 16th 2004, 9:59 pm
Jeremy Jenkins

A personal decision, but I'd definitely hang on until you get citizenship and then think about the issue again.

Many people who leave Australia (or Canada, US or NZ) without taking citizenship then regret it many years later. Or their children do.

Once you've left you can't change your mind as it's not usually possible to get citizenship from offshore.

Hard to see what you've got to lose as British citizens can freely have dual citizenship, as can Australians.

In response to the person a few posts upwards about German citizenship, this is generally lost upon becoming Australian unless permission is obtained from the German government in advance. Not sure how easy or hard this permission is to obtain.

Old Apr 17th 2004, 11:24 pm
Badge

The travel thing is grouse. It may come in handy to travel as an Aussie, say, over a Pom in some situation in the not too distant future.

BM

Old Apr 17th 2004, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Tapalinga

Love and lightx
A big irony is that a lot of Brits who have PR and decide to stay in Oz do not take out citizenship

Last edited by MikeStanton; Apr 17th 2004 at 11:48 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 7:42 am
Keelie

Definitely hang in there for citizenship papers.

Our oldest son was born in N.Z. so had automatic citizenship.
We returned to Canada a few years later, however applied for a N.Z. passport for son.

He now has dual citizenship..Canadian and N.Zealand.

He said that this was one of the best gifts we could have given him, as his profession takes him around the world. He's presently living and working in Australia...the Aussie gov't recognise his passport and admitted him freely to live and work.

Other family members are a bit jealous...but we've just been informed that they can apply for British Passports as I was born in the U.K.
The rules have recently been changed...in past times only the father's U.K. birth was recognized.
Your kids will thank you for waiting a few extra months ..might as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.