Citizenship of the Children

Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

kazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nice
Default Citizenship of the Children

Once the parents get naturalized, the children who are permanent resident get the US citizenship automatically. But, how does it work in practice if the entire family want to apply for US passport right away after naturalization ceremony?

Each application of each family member is the separate case. Father and mother can easily submit their Certificate of Naturalization - and their applications are gone...

But the children need to submit the very same parent's Certificate(s) of Naturalization with their own application. How can they do this if there is only 1 sample of that Certificate, which is gon with the parent's own application?
(Besides that, the children need to submit their own birth certificate and the parent's marriage certificate).

Additional question: The parents stay without their green cards on the Naturalization ceremony. They need to give up their green cards in order to get the Certificate of Naturalization.

But, children will still keep their green cards once the parent's Naturalization ceremony is over.

Do children need to send their green cards with passport application? Or, can they keep their green cards because the submition may not be required.

About payment: Should the check be issued for each family member - or may be one check for the entire family?

Your response would be highly appreciate.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship of the Children

The family goes together to the passport office with all their documentation. (don't forget their birth certificates and your marriage certificates). The clerk will make the notation on the children's passport apps that they naturalization certificate of the parent has been shown and is included in the packet. All passports will be sent in the same envelope for processing. They will tell you when you are there how to make out the checks. Do not do this by mail.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazic
Once the parents get naturalized, the children who are permanent resident get the US citizenship automatically.
Only if the children are under age 18.

But, children will still keep their green cards once the parent's Naturalization ceremony is over.
The children will also give up their green cards at the ceremony. They must... they are no longer PRs, they *are* US citizens... even if there is no proof. The children will *not* need their GCs to get a passport.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Feb 21st 2009 at 3:57 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Only if the children are under age 18.

The children will also give up their green cards at the ceremony. They must... they are no longer PRs, they *are* US citizens... even if there is no proof. The children will *not* need their GCs to get a passport.

Ian

Not true Ian. The children do not have to go the parents' naturalization ceremony. My Irish friends didn't take their kids and went with them, on my advice, to the passport office. The kids still have their green cards although they can send them back to the USCIS if they wanted to.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The children do not have to go the parents' naturalization ceremony.
Ah... good point, something I hadn't fully considered.

Ian
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:30 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Not true Ian. The children do not have to go the parents' naturalization ceremony. My Irish friends didn't take their kids and went with them, on my advice, to the passport office. The kids still have their green cards although they can send them back to the USCIS if they wanted to.
And they don't have to submit them when they make their passport application.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by g1ant
And they don't have to submit them when they make their passport application.
Hi:

Absent a certificate of citizenship, it must be proven that the kid obtained admission as an LPR. In my experience, my clients used the kid's I-551. I don't know if the Passport agency kept it.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

kazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nice

The issue about the sending one package for the entire family vs. sending packages for each family member separately:

Is it really so that the entire family application will be sent in one package?
I got info that there is a separate package for each member of the family.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 3:43 pm
Concierge

The issue about the sending one package for the entire family vs. sending packages for each family member separately:

I have no experince with mailing the applications for families. My experience is only with going in person to the application center. Why don't you make it easier on yourself and do that instead of mailing the apps.

In lieu of your going in person since you seem reluctant to do that, make a copy of the naturalization certificates and include it with each child's app and make a notation that the original certificate is in the package of [give your name].

You can paperclip each app and its required documentation together and mail it all in one package.

OR

Simple hold off sending the child's app until you have received your own passport and original naturalization certificate back.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

cranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nice

You can't apply for a first time US Passport by mail. So it's not really an issue...
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...first_832.html