Citizenship awaits....

Old Dec 7th 2019, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship awaits....

No it doesn't, to board a flight to the USA with a UK passport you need an ESTA, a visa or a green card. You won't have any of those.

As a US citizen you have to travel with a US passport, unlike the UK it's the law. I mean technically if you managed to make it to the border they couldn't refuse you entry but it'd be unpleasant and the issue is actually getting there...

With proof of booked travel within 14 days you can get a passport the same day - you just have to make an appointment online and pay an extra fee. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-agencies.html

Last edited by Olly_; Dec 7th 2019 at 7:45 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2019, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute

Anything along the lines of temporary passport available?
Old Dec 7th 2019, 8:38 pm
Caring for the Elderly

no1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to all

I applied for naturalisation in september done my biometrics then got told estimated time for interview would be september next year 2020 but i go on the 30th of this month december 2019 i am near to panama city florida if this helps any
Old Dec 7th 2019, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stribs
Not from inside the USA - you can get a full 10 year passport the same day so why would you want a temporary passport?
Old Dec 8th 2019, 3:02 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Now a slight possible issue. I am flying to England December 31st will return Jan 8th. I know I will have to give in my greencard.. and assume I will not have a US passport rhat day.
You're correct, you will not have a US passport that day, you'll get an application form to complete if the center is large enough or you'll get told to visit a USPS store that services passport applications.

Passports can take up to 8 weeks (no expedited), 2-4 weeks via the expedited service. Mine took a week but that was pre-holiday season and was unusually fast. You have three options:

1) push back your ceremony and take it when you return,
2) risk it and go to a physical DOS office that does emergency passports - note that 'near' travel is not considered an emergency, and others with real issues (dying family member.etc) will get prioritized, so there is 0% guarantee they will accept you. I know only one person thats done this (he's a pilot), so was accepted as an emergency case as its legitimately needed for his work - and it cost him a lot, and took literally the entire day (about 10 hours I believe).
3) cancel the trip.

When returning to the U.S, would ai expect issues or any temporary letter that will allow me to return without issues. (Finally a citizen and still issues lol)
Yes as you will have broken the law, as Olly mentioned, its illegal for a USC to enter or leave the US without her/his passport. You'd probably not be allowed on a plane back to the US (and ESTA's are out of the question for you), so you'd have to visit the London embassy... and then get asked how you left the US without your US passport. You'd also have to prove citizenship which would be delayed as I doubt you'd fly with your certificate of naturalization which at that point will be your only proof.

I have a british passport.. make a difference?
No.

No.

Realistically, I'd push the naturalization date back - you've waited years for naturalization so whats a couple of extra months? If you contact USCIS or simply go to the ceremony and explain the situation, they will reschedule you.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Cazmar1 is just really niceCazmar1 is just really niceCazmar1 is just really niceCazmar1 is just really niceCazmar1 is just really niceCazmar1 is just really niceCazmar1 is just really niceCazmar1 is just really nice
Smile Re: Citizenship awaits....

Good Morning,
We have our biometrics appointment tomorrow in Charlotte NC, i noticed someone said on here the they were taken for their interview at the same time, I believe it was another office tho,
has anyone had experience in the Charlotte NC office, does that happen? and also are the questions chosen randomly that day or are they standard for the month or so, - would really like insight to some of the likely questions, my husband and I are over 60 and I feel a little panicked about learning all 100 questions and retaining the answers correctly, I tend to freeze in an exam environment.
so it it likely do you think that we will have biometrics and interview at the same time..from application to biometrics has only been a few weeks.
TIA
Carol
Old Dec 17th 2019, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
You're correct, you will not have a US passport that day, you'll get an application form to complete if the center is large enough or you'll get told to visit a USPS store that services passport applications.

Passports can take up to 8 weeks (no expedited), 2-4 weeks via the expedited service. Mine took a week but that was pre-holiday season and was unusually fast. You have three options:

1) push back your ceremony and take it when you return,
2) risk it and go to a physical DOS office that does emergency passports - note that 'near' travel is not considered an emergency, and others with real issues (dying family member.etc) will get prioritized, so there is 0% guarantee they will accept you. I know only one person thats done this (he's a pilot), so was accepted as an emergency case as its legitimately needed for his work - and it cost him a lot, and took literally the entire day (about 10 hours I believe).
3) cancel the trip.

Yes as you will have broken the law, as Olly mentioned, its illegal for a USC to enter or leave the US without her/his passport. You'd probably not be allowed on a plane back to the US (and ESTA's are out of the question for you), so you'd have to visit the London embassy... and then get asked how you left the US without your US passport. You'd also have to prove citizenship which would be delayed as I doubt you'd fly with your certificate of naturalization which at that point will be your only proof.

No.

No.

Realistically, I'd push the naturalization date back - you've waited years for naturalization so whats a couple of extra months? If you contact USCIS or simply go to the ceremony and explain the situation, they will reschedule you.
The fun continues..

I sent in a letter advising why i needed to reschedule. The tracking showed this was delivered 3 days before the ceremony was scheduled. I got no updates about rescheduling so called and was told i was put as a no show as they never received my letter. Again the trscking was correct the address was good. I have to call tier 2.

Has anyone had similar situations. If they never find the letter (i can prove with tracking) what happens?

Any knowledge greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

So to update my Citizenship saga.. after requesting my oath ceremony be rescheduled because of my travels, the USCIS office stated they never recieved it and had me down as a 'no show'.

After submitting an online form stating my case, they responded within 2 days explaining a new date would automatically be set. Dont miss it.

A month later, the letter came last Friday, saying my new date will be... FRIDAY, Jan 24th! Wooo!

Question: Do I need to know the pledge of allegiance?
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 11:13 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

So to update my Citizenship saga.. after requesting my oath ceremony be rescheduled because of my travels, the USCIS office stated they never recieved it and had me down as a 'no show'.

After submitting an online form stating my case, they responded within 2 days explaining a new date would automatically be set. Dont miss it.

A month later, the letter came last Friday, saying my new date will be... FRIDAY, Jan 24th! Wooo!

Question: Do I need to know the pledge of allegiance?
How good are you at lip syncing?
Old Jan 24th 2020, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
How good are you at lip syncing?
As long as you can hold up your hand and move your lips then you are good to go.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 1:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about this, but they might give you a sheet with the Pledge on it.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
And to the republic for which it stands
One nation under God
Indivisible with liberty and justice for all

We said this every morning before classes started from the first grade up until graduation.

Not that you will read this as you are on your way there ... congratulations.