Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Citizenship application and divorce

Citizenship application and divorce

Old Feb 6th 2021, 10:02 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship application and divorce

My N400 has been submitted since September and apart from a receipt notice, there has been no movement. Since then I have divorced ()Do I submit my divorce decree now online or should I wait until the interview to tell them of this change?

Old Feb 6th 2021, 10:16 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship application and divorce

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
My N400 has been submitted since September and apart from a receipt notice, there has been no movement. Since then I have divorced ()Do I submit my divorce decree now online or should I wait until the interview to tell them of this change?
Assuming you filed based on 5 years as PR not 3 years married to a USC does it make a difference aside from them updating the form? Based on the interview I would be surprised if they even look at form beforehand, they had to update a number of things that the online form had not captured and also change things like my current citizenship because the form asks for the one based on your last passport issued, but the interviewer wanted my citizenship of birth, this actually goes on the certificate so it does make a difference.

Last edited by tht; Feb 6th 2021 at 10:23 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 10:19 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

yes - 5 yrs as a PR. My marital status is not actually relevant.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 10:24 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

yes - 5 yrs as a PR. My marital status is not actually relevant.
If you were looking to change you name it did have an option to do that when you are naturalized.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 10:25 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by tht
If you were looking to change you name it did have an option to do that when you are naturalized.
done!! Back to the maiden name.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 10:30 pm
tht

done!! Back to the maiden name.
Maybe you do need to update your name then, or your ID won’t match for biometrics or security when the interview comes.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 10:48 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

From experience. You will be asked about material changes since application at interview. No need to pre-empt, but have the docs with you.
eta and immaterial changes!

Last edited by RICH; Feb 6th 2021 at 10:51 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 10:52 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by tht
Maybe you do need to update your name then, or your ID won’t match for biometrics or security when the interview comes.
I haven't changed my name yet. What I meant was that I wrote my maiden name in the box on the form where you can choose a new name when you naturalize. So, everything is still in my married name and will match for biometrics. However, I'm wondering if I will have a biometrics appointment, they seem to be foregoing those and I had mine done just over a year ago to replace a damaged GC.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 1:36 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't changed my name yet. What I meant was that I wrote my maiden name in the box on the form where you can choose a new name when you naturalize. So, everything is still in my married name and will match for biometrics. However, I'm wondering if I will have a biometrics appointment, they seem to be foregoing those and I had mine done just over a year ago to replace a damaged GC.
I had IDs with three different names when I had my citizenship interview. The officer and I had a nice chat about what I should officially call myself (even though I used my maiden name day to day, I flirted with double-barreling on the certificate -- reason prevailed!).