Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Citizenship App Travel Advice Needed

Citizenship App Travel Advice Needed

Old Nov 11th 2021, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

PeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship App Travel Advice Needed

Hi - I have my N400 citizenship interview on Dec 11th in Detroit but had planned to go to the UK for Christmas and have already bought my tickets. My question is will I be able to travel to the UK or will I have surrendered my GC by then? Would I be wise to reschedule the interview so I can be in the UK over Xmas? Are there downsides to rescheduling for that reason?

For anyone interested I submitted my app late May to the Detroit office.

Thanks very much in advance.
Old Nov 11th 2021, 10:15 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship App Travel Advice Needed

Originally Posted by PeterFrank
Hi - I have my N400 citizenship interview on Dec 11th in Detroit but had planned to go to the UK for Christmas and have already bought my tickets. My question is will I be able to travel to the UK or will I have surrendered my GC by then? Would I be wise to reschedule the interview so I can be in the UK over Xmas? Are there downsides to rescheduling for that reason?

For anyone interested I submitted my app late May to the Detroit office.

Thanks very much in advance.
You “surrender” the GC at the Oath ceremony not the interview, but people have reported having their Oath ceremony the same day if approved. As you elude to once you became a USC you need to get a US passport for travel from/back to the UK.

Old Nov 11th 2021, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

imacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond repute

Another possibility, you could consider attending your N400 citizenship interview and then if you pass request a Oath ceremony after you have returned to the US. If I remember correctly, I was asked about the date of the Oath ceremony. Not any specific date though. Others may be able to comment on the viability of this approach.
Old Nov 12th 2021, 7:49 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the interview. If they offer a same day oath or a day before your trip, politely decline it because of your Christmas travel, and ask for a date after your return from the UK.
Old Nov 14th 2021, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

PeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Go to the interview. If they offer a same day oath or a day before your trip, politely decline it because of your Christmas travel, and ask for a date after your return from the UK.
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will do the interview and ask for a January Oath date if not offered.