Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Citizens Bank Limit on Permanent Residents ?

Citizens Bank Limit on Permanent Residents ?

Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:24 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizens Bank Limit on Permanent Residents ?

one of my issues with them was over internet bill payments. We had been happily paying all our bills via our Citizens on line banking thing and then they suddenly stopped it because we weren't LPR's.
The reason they gave me was that we could be money launderers.

It really annoyed me and I threatened to close our accounts but I am lazy and never did.
We now have our green cards and can pay our bills online because now we couldn't possibly be money launderers.
You pick your battles and this isn't one I can be bothered with.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:26 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jumping doris
one of my issues with them was over internet bill payments. We had been happily paying all our bills via our Citizens on line banking thing and then they suddenly stopped it because we weren't LPR's.
The reason they gave me was that we could be money launderers.

It really annoyed me and I threatened to close our accounts but I am lazy and never did.
We now have our green cards and can pay our bills online because now we couldn't possibly be money launderers.
You pick your battles and this isn't one I can be bothered with.
Do you think there may be somebody in your branch who has taken a dislike to you?
Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:27 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JT1
Hopefully you just got some self-important twonk on a bad day? We'd only been here 3 months when I experienced these limits, and as I said, it was soon sorted in our favour with no problem - we had zero credit rating then. However, this was 6 years ago, so maybe that has some bearing? We found Wachovia unbelievably helpful at times, they bent over backwards getting us a credit card with no credit rating and have certainly found the local township banks to be great - never thought I'd say that about a bank!

Slightly OT but with reference to Citizens Bank - my mum when visiting wanted to get some cash and naively thought because CB was related to RBS, she'd have no problem - they obviously said that no, they couldn't access her account in England. What they didn't do, was suggest she use the ATM in the foyer ..... Whilst maybe it should have been obvious to my mum (it obviously wasn't), why weren't they more helpful?
I think it depends on the branch because for all my issues with Citizens they have helped us out with RBS issues.
I am not a fan of RBS either but I have banked with them since the ark floated. They were particularly awkward over something a while back and Citizens stepped in and sorted it all out.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:30 am
Who?

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Do you think there may be somebody in your branch who has taken a dislike to you?
No because it was a regional thing. The manager of our local branch is from the Ukraine and is always really helpful and goes the extra mile but the people higher up don't.

The account managers in my branch are great too but sometimes the decisions are taken higher up the food chain.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:42 am

No because it was a regional thing. The manager of our local branch is from the Ukraine and is always really helpful and goes the extra mile but the people higher up don't.

The account managers in my branch are great too but sometimes the decisions are taken higher up the food chain.
The absence of assholes in your branch does not rule out their possible existence in the OP's.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:52 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar problem when buying a computer with debit card, after talking to the bank they told me to run it as credit instead of debit, that has a higher limit?! It has worked since for me but it is a joint account with DH who is usc.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 3:25 am
Just Joined

marioantoinette is an unknown quantity at this point

I sincerely hope so

Actually no , she was like that from day one. she managed to enter my address into their system as xxx straat, netherlands, United Kingdom.

She gave me two cards for one account, one of them i cant use for purchases at all and the other one has the crappy limit. I have a LOT of money in that account and my limit is 500 dollars.

They held a foriegn wire transfer for 2 weeks.

If it wasnt a joint account with my wife I couldnt get set up here. I couldnt do business.

It goes on and on. Im getting out. There must be a better bank somewhere !

Theres always teething problems in a new country but citizens bank would be hilarious if it wasnt so serious.

Someone mentioned you can get a better limit with a credit card account and thanks for that - but why on earth would i want to do that when i have my own money sitting there in a debit account ? Just so i can stack up more charges to give to them ?

rant over, sorry !
Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:01 pm
Who?

The absence of assholes in your branch does not rule out their possible existence in the OP's.
I realise that but you quoted me and so I assumed you were asking me, not the OP.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:36 pm

I realise that but you quoted me and so I assumed you were asking me, not the OP.
Sorry. That was, indeed, an error on my part.