Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Citizens Bank Limit on Permanent Residents ?

Citizens Bank Limit on Permanent Residents ?

Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

marioantoinette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizens Bank Limit on Permanent Residents ?

Hi, I'm fairly new to the US , been here a month, but have been an expat in various Mainland european countries (I'm British..)

Basically I've had a hell of a time setting up my personal banking. Theres nothing terribly complicated going on there but I think i just reached breaking point with the bastard US offspring of RBS....

I was told today that my limit for purchases with a personal debit card account at Citizens is 500 dollars.

According to the wee wifey in the branch its because I am not a US Citizen and this is standard practice. Please somebody tell me this is wrong.

Can the banks really do that ? I'm a permanent resident, green card and social security card, all kitted up and legit.

While I am here if anyone could recommend a bank that isnt staffed by nutjobs, I'm all ears. Its a long story but several people in there are not right in the head.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:36 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizens Bank Limit on Permanent Residents ?

We bank with Citizens and have never had that problem.

We set up our account with them before we got our green cards but we do bank with RBS and have done for a very long time. That shouldn't make a difference though.

I don't like them for other reasons but I am just too lazy to change.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jumping doris
We bank with Citizens and have never had that problem.

We set up our account with them before we got our green cards but we do bank with RBS and have done for a very long time. That shouldn't make a difference though.

I don't like them for other reasons but I am just too lazy to change.
Thanks for this. It doesnt feel right to me at all.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:45 pm
JT1
Account Closed

JT1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We're with Wachovia (now Wells Fargo) and didn't know anything about these limits until we tried to make a large purchase. Tootled along to the bank (not our local branch either) and they upped it to $3,000. They told us that $500 was the norm as it helped reduce the chance of somebody nicking your card and going blowing all your funds on a Rolex Oyster, or similar. Once I made said large purchase, I requested they reduce it back down again.

I think I'd tell them you'll walk if they won't be more flexible. btw - we're just H1B/H4'ers (frustrate ones at that, but that's another story I won't bore you with )
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's become fairly standard. You can ask for it to be increased and it usually is increased after you've been a customer for a few months.

They want to see your not a fraudster doing a con and disappearing suddenly.

Your status is irrelevant.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
It's become fairly standard. You can ask for it to be increased and it usually is increased after you've been a customer for a few months.

They want to see your not a fraudster doing a con and disappearing suddenly.

Your status is irrelevant.
Im not sure the status is irrelevant, its a joint account and my wife has no restrictions at all on her limit.

It makes me feel a bit second class and I dont like it. Never seen this before.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We have our accounts set up at a local credit union - I've been a member for a total of 10 years give or take. We have a daily transaction amount of $1k on our debit cards and a daily $500 limit on cash withdrawals. We ran into probs when I went to buy plane tickets on the card. I had to be on one phone with Delta and on another with our bank at the same time so that the transaction would go through. It's certainly been a pain. IIRC, they made it sound like they would never consider upping the limit despite how long we've banked with them.

If I were you, I'd confront them about the double standard they are imposing since your wife is a USC and has no such restrictions. If they tell you "too bad" then the best thing may be to take your business elsewhere.

Good luck.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 10:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marioantoinette
Im not sure the status is irrelevant, its a joint account and my wife has no restrictions at all on her limit.
It is.

Your just a new customer with no credit history.

If it bothers you, ask them to raise the limit or get another bank account, it's not like there isn't a plethora of other banks to chose from.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
It is.

Your just a new customer with no credit history.

If it bothers you, ask them to raise the limit or get another bank account, it's not like there isn't a plethora of other banks to chose from.
I hear you Bob, but its a DEBIT account, i dont want the banks money just my own. at the end of the day I might just have to change as they arent doing my stress levels to much good right now.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I hear you Bob, but its a DEBIT account, i dont want the banks money just my own. at the end of the day I might just have to change as they arent doing my stress levels to much good right now.
Unfortunately you're gonna have to get used to it.

Everything it tied to your credit history.

With out any history and for no way of them to do a background check on you other wise, they're got no idea if your likely to bung up a massive over draft and then vanish, even being on a joint account, weirder things have happened.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

if anyone could recommend a bank that isnt staffed by nutjobs, I'm all ears. Its a long story but several people in there are not right in the head.
Doing banking in the US is like going back in time to the dark ages. Some are better than others.....but not by much.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:16 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

According to the wee wifey in the branch its because I am not a US Citizen and this is standard practice. Please somebody tell me this is wrong.

It makes me feel a bit second class and I dont like it. Never seen this before.
See if you can get them to put the reason in writing. Then sue the bastards for discrimination on the basis on national origin.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chartreuse
See if you can get them to put the reason in writing. Then sue the bastards for discrimination on the basis on national origin.
Its all very dirty. Ive worked for a number of banks and I understand a few of the issues but stopping you getting your hands on your own money - Jesus.

and whats with checks (cheques) !

Credit Unions here I come , but it might not be too much better.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:32 pm
JT1
Account Closed

JT1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hopefully you just got some self-important twonk on a bad day? We'd only been here 3 months when I experienced these limits, and as I said, it was soon sorted in our favour with no problem - we had zero credit rating then. However, this was 6 years ago, so maybe that has some bearing? We found Wachovia unbelievably helpful at times, they bent over backwards getting us a credit card with no credit rating and have certainly found the local township banks to be great - never thought I'd say that about a bank!

Slightly OT but with reference to Citizens Bank - my mum when visiting wanted to get some cash and naively thought because CB was related to RBS, she'd have no problem - they obviously said that no, they couldn't access her account in England. What they didn't do, was suggest she use the ATM in the foyer ..... Whilst maybe it should have been obvious to my mum (it obviously wasn't), why weren't they more helpful?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JT1
Hopefully you just got some self-important twonk on a bad day? We'd only been here 3 months when I experienced these limits, and as I said, it was soon sorted in our favour with no problem - we had zero credit rating then. However, this was 6 years ago, so maybe that has some bearing? We found Wachovia unbelievably helpful at times, they bent over backwards getting us a credit card with no credit rating and have certainly found the local township banks to be great - never thought I'd say that about a bank!

Slightly OT but with reference to Citizens Bank - my mum when visiting wanted to get some cash and naively thought because CB was related to RBS, she'd have no problem - they obviously said that no, they couldn't access her account in England. What they didn't do, was suggest she use the ATM in the foyer ..... Whilst maybe it should have been obvious to my mum (it obviously wasn't), why weren't they more helpful?
I think we basically have one halfwit who should have retired along time ago. But when I go in there I get a different story every time from each member of staff.
Even though Ive only been here a month I have a long history of non stop grief with them and nothing is easy. Im giving up. We close on a house on thursday and after that im moving the remaining money elsewhere sharpish then going in to close the account, call them all f@ckers , shout a few more random swear words and finally leave with or without my arm up my back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.