CIMT two questions

Old Mar 20th 2018, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

movida is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CIMT two questions

I have done thorough research and have engaged a US attorney to ensure I follow the process correctly. I have a circa 12 year old CIMT in the UK.

My questions are as follows:

1) Today I happened to find some info that suggests that a waiver of inadmissibility only applies from 15 years after the conviction date (if you apply successfully). It's the first time I've read this, is it true?

2) It's quite likely I can demonstrate that it counts as a petty offence and hence I should automatically receive a waiver anyway. However, I'm unsure how this works as it relies on the embassy staff reading the sentencing guidelines and my attorney's demonstration that I am eligible. They are not legal experts so how does this work? My CIMT was theft from employer which has widely ranging sentences but if you follow the guidelines (depending on amount stolen and severity) then the max sentence can be 26 weeks, or even just a community order.

Particularly concerned about the 15 year thing if I cannot demonstrate successfully it was a petty offence. The conviction is 12 years old and as I say i've not previously seen evidence the 15 year rule is a 'thing'.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIMT two questions

With the application, you must establish one of the following:
A. You are inadmissible only because of your participation in prostitution, including having procured others for prostitution or having received the proceeds of prostitution, but you have been rehabilitated and your admission to the United States will not be contrary to the national welfare, safety, or security;
B. At least 15 years have passed since the activity or event that makes you inadmissible, you have been rehabilitated, and your admission to the United States will not be contrary to the national welfare, safety, or security;
C. Your qualifying U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident relative (spouse, son, daughter, parent), or K visa petitioner would experience extreme hardship if you were denied admission; or
D. You are an approved VAWA self-petitioner.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...i-601instr.pdf
Old Mar 20th 2018, 11:53 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

They won't care what the sentencing guidelines are, they will want to know what the maximum possible sentence for the offense is, period. As you rightly say they are not attorneys and do not care about the ins and outs of the offence.

I don't know what your attorney is telling you, but I suspect they will recommend you for a waiver and kick it back to the US for a determination.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 1:07 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

If someone is inadmissible for an adult CIMT conviction, that never goes away without a pardon. It could be 15 years or 100. It's a lifetime bar without a waiver. Waivers are usually easier to get the more time has passed.

The single petty offense exception means that one minor CIMT (max sentence possible one year or less & sentence imposed/suspended was six months or less) can be ignored and no waiver would be required.

So if you demonstrate that it qualifies for a single petty offense, then you don't need a waiver at all. The consulate can just issue the visa.

Lancastrian posted a link to the I-601. Be aware that the I-601 is filed by immigrants, and not nonimmigrants seeking to go on holiday. Most nonimmigrants seek the waiver during the visitor visa application process. Your other posts seem to indicate you want to go for a holiday so that would be nonimmigrant.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

If this is just a simple application for a non-immigrant visitors visa, I doubt that an attorney can bring much value to the process. Just apply for the visa, give the consulate all the information they need and then wait for the decision. It's really not that difficult as long as you are diligent, understand what you are doing and follow the instructions.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 6:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The maximum sentance is determined by the Act and Section under which you were convicted. The guidelines are just that a guide to a suggested sentence.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 6:10 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The criminal grounds of removal and the waivers there of are both complicated and a tad murky at times. And this can tie in with the provisions of UK law.

As OP correctly notes, this is often a question of "law" (as opposed to questions of fact. Let's not even begin to get into "mixed questions of law and fact.")

Quite often, the exercise is one of identifying "loopholes" and threading said loopholes.

It can get confusing and it is way too easy to conflate various provisions applicable in some scenarios but not others.

The exercise is a lawyer's stock in trade so to speak.

There is a difference between the iimigrant and non-immigrant ends of he shop.

As noted already, the 15 year provision applies to immigrant visa waiver of prostitution related convictions.

On the non-immigrant end of the shop, there is a fairly broad generacized waiver. The mother case is Hranka. (And I doubt that a woman with Ms. Hranka's facts would prevail today).

It is good OP has an attorney. Hopefully that attorney is either expierenced in waivers or has a maven or angel on her shoulder to help out.