Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Chippy's Questions on Immigrant Visa & Waiver of Ineligibility

Chippy's Questions on Immigrant Visa & Waiver of Ineligibility

Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:39 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Question in the Harsh US Forum...

Already noted at post #4.

Originally Posted by Marocco
In any case, you need a legal consultation, preferably with an experienced attorney who has already dealt with similar cases involving inadmissibility and drug use.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Question in the Harsh US Forum...

Originally Posted by chippy
I admitted that once, when I was 19 (over 20 yrs ago) I smoked some weed.
You seem to think it should make some sort of difference to US immigration!

Ian
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

WVDreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chippy's Questions on Immigrant Visa & Waiver of Ineligibility

Were you convicted of any kind of drug charge? If not why would you admit something like that in front of a immigration officer? I know people on the forums always preach honesty is the best policy but damm! What else did you admit to, stealing some sweets from your sister when she was 9yrs old

I feel bad for you I really do, hope you get it all sorted out.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:30 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by WVDreamer
Were you convicted of any kind of drug charge? If not why would you admit something like that in front of a immigration officer? I know people on the forums always preach honesty is the best policy but damm! What else did you admit to, stealing some sweets from your sister when she was 9yrs old

I feel bad for you I really do, hope you get it all sorted out.
That's the question I've asked myself over and over. And btw, no convictions whatsoever. Had I just said 'no', this would never have been a problem. Pretty stupid on my part I know. I suppose at the time I did not know customs would make such a big deal of it. It's a joke. Really it is. Seems to me that even most of this lot think I'm some kind of druggy. Christ! I was a family man for 25 years, got 4 nearly grown up kids, and a busy construction business. How the hell did I get time to smoke weed all day? Sorry. Rant over.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:33 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me that even most of this lot think I'm some kind of druggy.
They're just giving it to you straight. Don't kill the messenger, please.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:58 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fatbrit
They're just giving it to you straight. Don't kill the messenger, please.

Ok I smoked a joint once. Then I'm a drug addict. Have you ever been drunk? Then you're an alcoholic....

I know I have to expect the US customs to take a sledgehammer to crack a nut...I learned the hard way...that's what they do. If they (those who have responded to my question) are genuinely giving it to me 'straight', then I must thank them all. If they are just jumping on a band-wagon, 'cos they saw the mj word, then that's different story...
Old Oct 21st 2011, 5:24 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I smoked a joint once. Then I'm a drug addict. Have you ever been drunk? Then you're an alcoholic....

I know I have to expect the US customs to take a sledgehammer to crack a nut...I learned the hard way...that's what they do. If they (those who have responded to my question) are genuinely giving it to me 'straight', then I must thank them all. If they are just jumping on a band-wagon, 'cos they saw the mj word, then that's different story...
It's all in the code: 8 U.S.C. § 1182(a)(2)(A)(i)(II)

Nobody here wrote the law, and nobody here can change what happened. If you want my personal opinion, the whole of the War On Drugs is an epic fail for everyone apart from the groups who have profited highly from it. If it makes you feel any better, I voted for the successful medical marijuana proposition here in Arizona, and am enjoying seeing the many stores around town openly selling supplies to grow your own. Hopefully it's a start in demolishing the whole hypocritical and puritanical mess that silly b1tch Nancy left us with.

But none of that changes your predicament.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Oh FFS... alcohol isn't illegal - and therein lies the difference.

Ian
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:31 pm
I'm lovin' it

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Oh FFS... alcohol isn't illegal - and therein lies the difference.

Ian
Never said it was. I used it to make a point. Absorb the context. (FFS)
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

Never said it was. I used it to make a point. Absorb the context. (FFS)
Touché!

BTW, I don't - for a moment - believe that you're any sort of drug addict, but you screwed up and now it's time to pay the piper. I regret that you find yourself in this situation, but getting angry at us isn't going to change anything.

US immigration is, quite simply, not a fair and equitable process - and even with two identical cases, the outcomes could be different. Is the system broken? Yes... but it's the only system currently in place - so we have to deal with it as it is. If, at some point in the future, you become a USC, then you can petition the US government for change... it's called voting and allows you to be an active participant in the process rather than just the end user.

Ian
Old Oct 21st 2011, 1:08 pm
I'm lovin' it

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Touché!

BTW, I don't - for a moment - believe that you're any sort of drug addict, but you screwed up and now it's time to pay the piper. I regret that you find yourself in this situation, but getting angry at us isn't going to change anything.

US immigration is, quite simply, not a fair and equitable process - and even with two identical cases, the outcomes could be different. Is the system broken? Yes... but it's the only system currently in place - so we have to deal with it as it is. If, at some point in the future, you become a USC, then you can petition the US government for change... it's called voting and allows you to be an active participant in the process rather than just the end user.

Ian
I did indeed screw up. By being too bleedin' honest it seems. What should all the nice boys & girls learn from this? Be careful what they are honest about? And/or, don't ever, ever, do any naughty things. Ever.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 1:17 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I find myself getting more and more confused as I continue to read this thread. For the most of the thread, I was under the impression that OP had, in the past, possessed a small quantity of some green leafy substance which he had confirmed was marijuana. [Although I did not practice criminal law when I was in practice, I have read numerous investigatory reports over the years]. I think I can safely state that OP believed that the green leafy substance was, in fact, MJ -- but I am at a loss on how he came to that conclusion and whether the conclusion was true or not.

Also, the question of being an "addict" has now come up and it was related to alcohol. There has been some heated debate in the past about the medical finding of drug dependency from the docs. And the tone is similar to the 2009 saga of Phil & Shayna when Shayna had posted in these forums at this link. In another link, I noted that the definition of addiction can be tricky.

I'm drinking my morning coffee and will return to that nice activity.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:00 pm
I'm lovin' it

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I think I can safely state that OP believed that the green leafy substance was, in fact, MJ -- but I am at a loss on how he came to that conclusion and whether the conclusion was true or not.
I smoked some weed when I was a kid..nothing complicated. Conclusion? What conclusion?

I read the link you posted. Just barmy isn't it?

Look to me this thread has gone slightly off topic. My main thing here is that I have already received a waiver to get my B1 visa, which is for five years. It even says on it, "ARO Response: Ineligibility Overcome." Doesn't anyone here think that aids my cause, or at least goes in my favour? I have not yet been able to find two sets of rules pertaining to immigrant/non-immigrant visa's when it come to the subject of waivers. Only rules that state whether you are either eligible or ineligible, whatever class of visa you are seeking.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

There are in fact different rules for different visas. The point is that your ineligibility can be waived for non-immigrant visas, but can not as it currently stands for an immigrant visa. This is clearly stated in the pdf I linked to earlier, and you have also said it came up during your own research. Maybe a decent immigration lawyer can help you.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:26 pm
I'm lovin' it

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
There are in fact different rules for different visas. The point is that your ineligibility can be waived for non-immigrant visas, but can not as it currently stands for an immigrant visa. This is clearly stated in the pdf I linked to earlier, and you have also said it came up during your own research. Maybe a decent immigration lawyer can help you.
Yes thanks for the link. I did have a look earlier, but all I could find was stuff about drug traffickers. I'll have another look, in case I missed the part you are talking about. In your post #11 you did in fact say, "There are waivers available for immigrant visas." What came up in my research is that a waiver is available for a one-time offender with less than 30 mg of mj. Nowhere does it distinguish between visa types.

Last edited by chippy; Oct 21st 2011 at 2:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.