Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Children of diplomats and US citizenship of child

Children of diplomats and US citizenship of child

Old Dec 14th 2010, 8:21 pm
eof
Just Joined

eof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Children of diplomats and US citizenship of child

Hi there,

I know that a child born in the US to foreign diplomats is not eligible for US citizenship. I was wondering whether this is true if one parent of a married couple carries a diplomatic visa while the other one does not? This is a pretty rare scenario, because a married couple needs to apply for an A or G-visa for both if either one applies for one. However, there's an exemption if they live at separate addresses which is my case, so I do not have a diplomatic visa even though my wife has one.

Does anyone know whether or not the diplomatic status of one parent takes precedence?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children of diplomats and US citizenship of child

Originally Posted by eof
Hi there,

I know that a child born in the US to foreign diplomats is not eligible for US citizenship. I was wondering whether this is true if one parent of a married couple carries a diplomatic visa while the other one does not? This is a pretty rare scenario, because a married couple needs to apply for an A or G-visa for both if either one applies for one. However, there's an exemption if they live at separate addresses which is my case, so I do not have a diplomatic visa even though my wife has one.

Does anyone know whether or not the diplomatic status of one parent takes precedence?

Thanks in advance.
Is the child also on a diplomatic visa? "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."
Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:16 pm
eof
Just Joined

Child not born yet.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:17 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Is the other person a citizen or permanent resident? The state department applies the same rules as if the child was born abroad if one parent is a US Citizen and the other a foreign diplomat, meaning that the USC parent needs to have resided in the US for a certain period of time prior to the birth. However, those rules may not stand in court.

Originally Posted by eof
Hi there,

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:20 pm
eof
Just Joined

Other parent has a work visa.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eof

hmmm. You have the most interesting family!

A good question to ponder.. you know the answer already, right? (Consult a lawyer!)
But, for discussion's sake...
Who gave birth? Your spouse, the diplomat, right?
I don't think you get to choose (congratulation, btw).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ationality_law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural..._United_States

Green Card for a Person Born in the United States to a Foreign Diplomat
Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
Is the child also on a diplomatic visa? "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."
The child will be born in the US, so not on a dip visa.

I think the 'subject to the jurisdiction of' is what is at question.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:39 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

If it is the mother that is in the state department's blue list, then I am confident that the child will probably not be a US citizen at birth.

Originally Posted by meauxna
The child will be born in the US, so not on a dip visa.

I think the 'subject to the jurisdiction of' is what is at question.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:40 pm
eof
Just Joined

That's also what I'm pretty much expecting. I guess you can always argue that the child will live at the father's place...
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

See http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=397994&page=3
Old Dec 15th 2010, 1:12 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Is the dip parent even on the blue list?