Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Checklist after becoming a citizen?

Checklist after becoming a citizen?

Old Sep 15th 2021, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

princessconsuela is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Checklist after becoming a citizen?

I became a citizen a month or so ago(!) I already:
  • Got a US passport
  • Registered to vote
The USCIS site says I should update the Social Services Administration. This sounds like a real pain in Covid times so I guess I wondered if this is necessary for everyone? I have had a SSN for many years now and was a PR before a citizen. It seems like nothing will change but if I need to do it then I will do it.

Is there anything else I need to do? Update the BMV?

Thanks
Old Sep 15th 2021, 3:45 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Checklist after becoming a citizen?

Originally Posted by princessconsuela
  • Got a US passport
  • Registered to vote
The USCIS site says I should update the Social Services Administration. This sounds like a real pain in Covid times so I guess I wondered if this is necessary for everyone? I have had a SSN for many years now and was a PR before a citizen. It seems like nothing will change but if I need to do it then I will do it.

Thanks
I have not done SSA yet either - I did it after I became a PR, so I have the card with no restriction marked, and plan to update it again post CV19. I forget what, but recall there is some reason they do it.

I'm already had “real id” from the DMV, so waited until my next renewal to update the DMV, but did that, which confused them as I already had real ID. This prompted voter registration in CT on the pin pad, which was annoying as I was already registered and then sent additional contact information I did not want to share with voter registration at town hall, in the had to send in a new form to undo that. So my advice decline this at the DMV or review it carefully.

Last edited by tht; Sep 15th 2021 at 3:51 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 3:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is not a pain to update social security. Find an open office and go in with your original social security certificate and update your status. One reason is because of the difference in the amount death taxes owed by a US Citizen and non-citizen.

The DMV should be updated as you will be needing to update your Real ID driver's license.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 3:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by princessconsuela
  • Got a US passport
  • Registered to vote

Thanks
No big deal about the SSA. I didn’t know I was supposed to do this when I became a citizen. Years later, when I applied for my SS when I was retired, they asked me to come in to the office with my naturalization certificate. So, do it now, or do it later.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 4:12 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

I phoned my local Social Security office, and was told that they are all closed due to Covid, and to come back when they are open. Might have to wait for a while since Florida SS is not in a hurry to reopen.

My DL has been Real ID since the first day I got it.

Passport and registering to vote were easy to do.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 1:20 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanidea
I phoned my local Social Security office, and was told that they are all closed due to Covid, and to come back when they are open. Might have to wait for a while since Florida SS is not in a hurry to reopen.

My DL has been Real ID since the first day I got it.

Passport and registering to vote were easy to do.

Just called my local SS office in Florida.
had all my details. I am listed as a LPR.
awaiting a call back to set up an appointment to bring in my naturalization certificate and change to citizen.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 3:58 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

In regards to letting SSA know, the difference kicks in regarding eligibility for benefits. For example, an AmCit can generally continue to collect even if absent from the US. Noncitizens are subject to other rules and may or may not be able to collect benefits if outside the US.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 2:52 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
Just called my local SS office in Florida.
had all my details. I am listed as a LPR.
awaiting a call back to set up an appointment to bring in my naturalization certificate and change to citizen.

Well an interesting update.
Appointment made and attended.
Person on the phone informed me that I would be receiving a replacement SS card but not to worry it will have the same SS number and it will not go against my lifetime max of 10 issued cards.

Filled out the required forms and attended the interview, very easy took about 15 mins. A few questions and away I went.

2 weeks late I received my replacement card. I'm somewhat surprised, its a new number !

I can imagine all the complications this is going to cause.

I contacted the SS help line via email.

A few days later I get a reply. Posted below.

Now I feel 'special' I have 2 SS #s lol

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration.

We apologize for the delay in answering your inquiry. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

We ordinarily assign only one SocialSecurity number (SSN) to a person. When we discover that a person has been assigned more than one SSN, the numbers are cross-referred in our records so that the person receives credit for all earnings. SSN’s cannot be canceled, and the individual may use whichever number he or she prefers. We do suggest that the person keep the number that he or she has used for employment, tax, credit, banking, driver’s license purposes, etc. Further, the SSN selected should be used consistently to avoid any potential problems with crediting earnings to their records.

Multiple assignment of SSN’s occurred primarily when SSN’s were issued manually in our local offices. This processing of SSN’s limited our cross-reference checking capability; therefore, more than one SSN could be inadvertently assigned to the same person without his or her knowledge. Today, SSN’s are centrally issued by computer-generated systems that allow the SocialSecurity Administration to determine if an individual has been previously assigned an SSN.

If you want verification of the SSN’s shown on your SocialSecurity Statement, visit your local SocialSecurity office. Please remember to take your Statement with you. Our representatives will be glad to review your records and assist you.

You can get the address and telephone number of the office that services your area by calling our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213, or you can obtain this information from the SocialSecurity Office Locator at the following Internet address:

Old Nov 2nd 2021, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, did not know that was a possibility. I'll get around to SSA one day...