Charlotte Office?

Old Apr 10th 2001, 4:14 am
novios

we've seen a few here in the n/g that use the charlotte office. we're going to
file tthe I-130/I-485 package this week. how bad is the wait/lines, and about what
time should we arrive in order to be seen? probably going tomorrow or thursday.
Thanks all!!

~N's.

Old Apr 10th 2001, 5:44 am
exyz

>
we're going
    >
wait/lines, and
    >
going
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Just my opinion...and based on our experience...I don't feel it's worth the
aggrivation to drive. We mailed our paperwork to Charlotte. We used priority mail,
and tracked the package. It was opened and the checks cashed two or 3 weeks later. I
honestly do not believe that going to Charlotte and standing in line to hand in the
papers buys you anything. I'm not even sure they'd answer many questions if you had
them. Of course if you're in the mood for a drive, and it's not inconvenient, then
great. We live in Chapel Hill, and didn't consider it to be worthwhile to drive. But
that's just us.

Having said that, if you choose to drive there, get there really early. I heard they
were been closing the doors to walk-in arrivals by 9 or 10 am becuase so many people
are there. Plus, it's so hot... this week you want to get there by 7 or 7:30, I'd
think. Also, if you come from the east, make sure you hit Greensboro (if you go thru
there) before 7AM.

Here's our timeline...we've posted some stuff at www.kamya.com as well.

Married 5/95, husband had H1-B, and we were trying to figure out where we wanted to
live (US or Europe).

so we just took our time.

11/99- sent I-130, I-485, I-864 and whatever else was req'd
12/99 rec'd receipt, checks cashed (about 3 weeks later) around 5/15/00 - mailed in
EAD (i-765)
12/1/00 - rec'd receipt mid July - interview notice
12/2/00 picked up EAD (did go to Charlotte for that one)
12/3/00 mailed in I-131 (Advance Parole) Don't recall the receipt, but rec'd AP in
the mail around 11/10/00

Mid January 2001, rec'd request for more info, completed in March.
Fingerprint appointment mid-March Rec'd AOS interview letter 4/2/01
---interview scheduled 4/30/01

So, we figure that's about 17 months waiting time, give or take.

Elaine

Old Apr 10th 2001, 12:18 pm
novios

Thanx 4 the reply and good luck on your interview 4/30!!! we live here in charlotte,
approx 7 miles from the ins office. we're going in the morning to hurry up and wait :
) i'm just worried to death they'll find an error or something. i just want to make
sure that the I-130 is good to go before 4/30. do u know off-hand if there is an
error in the I-130 if it's still considered "submitted & received" on time (before
4/30), or will it be kicked back to fix any errors and we fight the clock once again?
and also wondering how picky they are about the photos? we have them about as close
as can be as far as the specs go.

sweatin' and on pins & needles . . . . . . .

~N's.

exyz wrote in message ...

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 10th 2001, 12:47 pm
exyz

>
    >
we're going
    >
    >
just want to
    >
off-hand if
    >
&
    >
any errors
    >
they are
    >
the specs
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
In that case, I'd drop it off too. I think that if you make an error on the form
itself, they generally send the packet back and the clock starts again. But I might
be wrong about this.

If there is something missing, or a problem with the picture, for example, they may
send a request for more information and ask you to redo the picture. This happened to
us...my husband had to have his pictures redone, without his eyeglasses, and they
asked for a copy of our marriage certificate (which they either lost or missed in the
origianl filing).

Are you filing under the LIFE act? Is that why you're concerned about April 30?

Good luck to you, too... I am getting a little more paranoid each day...looking for
stupid papers to prove the validity of our relationship. And, by the time we're
interviewed, we'll be married one month shy of 6 yrs.

Elaine

Old Apr 11th 2001, 5:53 am
novios

thanx exyz!!

well, we got through it this morning. arrived at Charlotte INS at 7am to find 20-30
people in line. doors opened at 7:30am and we were called back at
9:10am. the lady looked through everything, gave us back a set of photos and the
G325a that was with the I-485. she did make one change on a form regarding a
current status question from 'without inspection' to 'application for residence.'
she handed us a receipt and gave us info on what to expect in the coming months. i
walked out of there drippin' in sweat and although it was 9:30am, i cracked open a
cold one to setlle my nerves back down. by the time we left there was a line around
the building. the lady said it's like that about everyday and picking up due to the
245-i deadline, (which is what we were under). she even wrote 245-i/LIFE ACT on top
of the I-130. but, foot's in the door at least.

Good luck on y'alls' interview and keep us posted!!

~N's.

[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 11th 2001, 9:52 am
exyz

>
    >
    >
7am to
    >
called back at
    >
photos and
    >
form
    >
    >
info on
    >
in sweat
    >
nerves
    >
building. the
    >
245-i
    >
ACT on
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Yep. In those situations it's never too early for a cold one. Glad you were able to
drop it off. Our interview is April 30. Can you imagine what a zoo it will be?

e.

Old Apr 11th 2001, 1:11 pm
novios

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

the first guy inline said he got there around 6am, FWIW. less than 3 weeks for u guys
. . . . best wishes!!

Old Apr 12th 2001, 6:50 pm
Betastar

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

I'm surprised - 20-30 people at the door isn't a lot by 7am at Charlotte (we got
there are 5:30am when we filed for AOS and were THIRD in line!) And yet at 9:10 you
got in quickly?

You lucked out =)

>
    >
    >
    >

I was happy we filed in person, too (though ours was from K-1). It's nice to know
someone has looked over the papers and accepted them and you won't find 'em in your
mailbox with something wrong in another 3 weeks or 3 months. =)

Betsy

Old Apr 12th 2001, 8:30 pm
novios

Betastar
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

we thought so, too. i had brought my backpack full of magazines, chewing gum and a
gameboy! i was expecting to be there ALL day. since you're familiar with the
charlotte office, they had 4 windows operating with each taking an average of 5 - 8
minutes per case. ours was about 15 minutes. i was really surprised at how quickly
it seemed to move along. there were a few folks who got hosed, though. a couple
folks went outside to smoke when there number was called and one guy was in the
bathroom when they called his. they made them get new numbers which put them further
back. ouch!

Old Apr 14th 2001, 2:22 pm
Betastar

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Yup - and of course they make you move your seat towards the wall to make newer
arrivals easier to seat, not thinking you're then going to have to crawl over those
newer arrivals when your number is called...

And when your number is called, if you can hear them over the crowd, it takes a while
to get past all those people when you're lodged against the window - I saw someone's
number pass as he was just trying to get to the aisle. !!

Then, if you don't speak English too well and you don't hear your number being
called, you get yelled at for not watching the LED board... which can't be seen from
those far-away seats they force you into to make room for the newer arrivals.

And don't get me started on the typos on the messages rolling across above the
windows (I still want to know how one disguards trash)

I have to imagine that, while they help you somewhat quickly, it is one of the worst
organized and worst set-up offices around. Or at least hope it is!

Old Apr 14th 2001, 3:04 pm
exyz

>

>
<<<snip gory details about the Charlotte office>>>>>

[usenetquote2]> > I have to imagine that, while they help you somewhat quickly, it[/usenetquote2]
is
    >

Well, in two weeks from Monday, I'll get to experience the wonder that is the
Charlotte office when we go for the interview.

Elaine

Old Apr 14th 2001, 4:40 pm
Soraya

Does anyone know if the Charlotte Office will be open this monday, 16th? Tks.

Old Apr 15th 2001, 3:21 am
novios

Soraya
    >
    >
    >

should be, the fed holiday was observed friday. i know the schools will still be
out, though.

Old Apr 15th 2001, 3:31 am
novios

Betastar
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

LMAO!!! i didn't pay any attention to the marquis. however, out of the four LED's,
ours was the one that had a row of lights burned out on it, so everything looked
almost like 7's. and the INS guy in the lobby would periodically yell out the next
number, so u pretty much had to keep up with the LED. just before our number was
called, the INS lobby dude turned on the
t.v. to friggin' cartoons and every youngin' in the place crowded around it. our
number was called and i was slingin' youngsters everywhere to get through the
mass of urine stenched little folk. i could overhear a few chuckles 'cause i
believe their nerves were as rattled as mine.

we were instructed upon returning in 2-3 months for the EAD, that we were to go
straight in through a door past the bathrooms and just wait. no number needed, no
nothing. only that we wait until we're called for. are u familiar with anything
like that?

thanx!!

~N's. . . . .

Old Apr 15th 2001, 6:50 am
Betastar

>
    >
    >

Wonderful! Something new to look forward to when it comes time to renew the
EAD and AP =)

>
    >
    >
    >

Yup - you show your letter to the guard at the door (no waiting on line =) ) and
he'll let you in. You go past the bathrooms and to the door, where there's a slot to
put your letter. Then you wait - they may make you sit down by the windows again

They'll call about 5-6 names at the same time, you go in (US Spouses are not allowed
=( I was curious as to what happens).

Reinhard said you get a speech about the EAD card, and how you'll have to renew it 3
months before it expires, then they take you in one at a time, take your picture and
create a card for you. They also give you a small slip of paper again telling you to
renew (I assume it is written for those who don't understand spoken english well,
they can get it translated later...)

Be SURE to check all of your information before leaving the building! They had
Reinhard's A# wrong on his card. We discovered it after we left the building, and
when we returned there was no problem getting back in to get it fixed, but it would
have been better to do without having to go back.

We come from Raleigh, and we stay at the Holiday Inn across the street
- it's like $80 for the night or something, but nice, clean, quiet and they have
a pool =)))

Betastar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.