British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Changing Surname (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/changing-surname-732632/)

fluffy82 Sep 16th 2011 6:39 pm

Changing Surname

Hi,
My 2 year green card is due for renewal in February so Im just looking into form I-751. I have been using my maiden name for everything since I moved here but am wanting my 10 year green card in my married name so I can start using it properly over here. Can I just fill in form I-751 with my married name and put my maiden name in Part 3 'Additional Information about you'?
I didnt want to pay for a replacement green card previously and I remember reading a thread where someone suggested waiting to file I-751 and get the name changed then. Is this possible?
Also will it matter that my UK passport is still in my maiden name? I am planning on going back to the UK in May so was going to change that then.
Thanks.

jeffreyhy Sep 16th 2011 7:51 pm

Re: Changing Surname

Originally Posted by fluffy82 (Post 9625613)
Hi,
My 2 year green card is due for renewal in February so Im just looking into form I-751. I have been using my maiden name for everything since I moved here but am wanting my 10 year green card in my married name so I can start using it properly over here. Can I just fill in form I-751 with my married name and put my maiden name in Part 3 'Additional Information about you'?
I didnt want to pay for a replacement green card previously and I remember reading a thread where someone suggested waiting to file I-751 and get the name changed then. Is this possible?
Also will it matter that my UK passport is still in my maiden name? I am planning on going back to the UK in May so was going to change that then.
Thanks.

Your green card is not due for renewal (although yes, it will expire), you need to remove the conditions on your LPR status or it will expire. With conditions removed, a new green card will be issued.

Having not made the original immigrant visa or adjustment of status request in your married name (which is what my wife did), I would do as you now propose for the I-751.

My wife's foreign passport is still in her maiden name, and she's a US citizen now. It was never a problem.

Regards, JEff

Noorah101 Sep 16th 2011 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by fluffy82 (Post 9625613)
Hi,
My 2 year green card is due for renewal in February so Im just looking into form I-751.

Removing Conditions, not renewing.

I have been using my maiden name for everything since I moved here but am wanting my 10 year green card in my married name so I can start using it properly over here. Can I just fill in form I-751 with my married name and put my maiden name in Part 3 'Additional Information about you'?
Yes.

Yes.

No, it won't matter, but remember to make all your plane reservation and ticketing in your PASSPORT name, not your green card name.

Rene

welshgirl1 Sep 17th 2011 11:44 pm

When I submitted my I751 paperwork at end of March I simply put my married name in the name box. BUT BE AWARE! When you then go to your biometrics appointment be sure to take your marriage certificate JUST IN CASE. Some jacked up dude tried to prevent me entering because my ID (drivers license) said my maiden name and not my married name. Unlikely it would happen again but best to be on the safe side.

On a side note I mailed in my application late March, got the NOA and extension April 4th, Biometrics in June and then nothing but a whole lot of waiting!