Changing Employers on an L1A

Old Nov 2nd 2007, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

grae is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing Employers on an L1A

I search a lot of threads but can't seem to find any reference to this, hope someone can offer some advise on my options.

I'm currently in the US on an L1A with a multi-national firm (just completed 4years in New York, 5 years in London prior to that with the same firm).

I've been offered a position at another multi-national firm, similar role, wider scope, more people etc. I have explained my current situation regarding visa's etc, but they seem pretty blase about the immigration side of things.

I guess I'm really asking if anyone knows what the options are: i.e can they take over the remaining 2-3 years of the L1A, if so would all the family need to return to the UK for 6 month or just me ? can they offer me a GC on the basis of my current L1A so I still skip the labour cert ? or is the only option really to return to the UK for a year then get a new L1A with the new firm? and if that is the only option can my son continue to stay in US and complete his final year at high school while I'm in UK ?

Thanks,
Graeme
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 4:37 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing Employers on an L1A

Originally Posted by grae
I search a lot of threads but can't seem to find any reference to this, hope someone can offer some advise on my options.

I'm currently in the US on an L1A with a multi-national firm (just completed 4years in New York, 5 years in London prior to that with the same firm).

I've been offered a position at another multi-national firm, similar role, wider scope, more people etc. I have explained my current situation regarding visa's etc, but they seem pretty blase about the immigration side of things.

I guess I'm really asking if anyone knows what the options are: i.e can they take over the remaining 2-3 years of the L1A, if so would all the family need to return to the UK for 6 month or just me ? can they offer me a GC on the basis of my current L1A so I still skip the labour cert ? or is the only option really to return to the UK for a year then get a new L1A with the new firm? and if that is the only option can my son continue to stay in US and complete his final year at high school while I'm in UK ?

Thanks,
Graeme
The nature of an L1 would appear to be such that it could not be transferred to another employer, and if you wanted a green card on the basis of that L1 your current employer would have to apply for you. Your options would seem to be to have them get you an H1 visa but that brings up other problems (not being able to start until almost a year from now and problems with quotas), or go and work for them in the UK for a year (during which time you have no status in the US and neither does your family so you all would have to return).
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 5:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

They might be blase, but you shouldn't be....can't transfer the visa because you've got to have worked for the company for at least a year to qualify.

No short cuts to getting a greencard either.

And as mentioned, your families visa is tied to yours, so if yours is void, then so are theirs.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

grae is an unknown quantity at this point

many thanks chaps, that's pretty much what I figured, appreciate you clearing it up.

G