Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Changes of Address and Government Docs: Avoid Unpleasant Surprises

Changes of Address and Government Docs: Avoid Unpleasant Surprises

Old Oct 4th 2010, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

SusanPai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changes of Address and Government Docs: Avoid Unpleasant Surprises

Government mail is NOT forwarded with a U.S. Postal Service Change of Address.

Failing to notify us and the government of a change of address can result in FATAL consequences from an immigration perspective. For example, you may be served a Notice to Appear on an erroneous removal matter and as long as the address it is mailed to is the address of record, an Order of Removal in Absentia (without you present) may be entered and held valid, resulting in your deportation. Additionally, there may be a months-long delay in obtaining your Green Card, Employment Authorization Document, and/or Certificate of Naturalization. Worse yet, these documents may be intercepted and someone may begin fraudulently using your documents.

If you move, you must pay for PREMIUM FORWARDING SERVICE with the U.S. Postal Service. This is the ONLY WAY you will receive official government mail once you move. You should continue PREMIUM FORWARDING SERVICE until you receive all your immigration related documents in the mail. Additionally, if you are represented by an attorney, he or she must file an amended G-28. You and or your attorney must also file an AR-11 to effectuate your change of address with the U.S. Government.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changes of Address and Government Docs: Avoid Unpleasant Surprises

Originally Posted by SusanPai
If you move, you must pay for PREMIUM FORWARDING SERVICE with the U.S. Postal Service. This is the ONLY WAY you will receive official government mail once you move.
Great advice, as always, Susan! Many thanks.

Ian
Old Oct 5th 2010, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

elliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud of

Thank you for this link- I'm on an F1 and have moved several times in the last couple of years, but was told by school that when my address is updated in SEVIS, that I do not need to fill in (out?) any other forms; are they correct in this? If not, I have some forms to fill out!!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

You have some forms to fill out, for sure. Good luck!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

elliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud of

You have some forms to fill out, for sure. Good luck!
Thank you! Is it one for every address change, or just my most recent one (thankfully was only last week so I'm not technically late on that one!!)
Old Oct 5th 2010, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by elliep
Thank you! Is it one for every address change, or just my most recent one (thankfully was only last week so I'm not technically late on that one!!)
Just the most recent one.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Just the most recent one.
Thank you so much,

E