Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

change of petitioner from sister to cousin brother for F4 visa

change of petitioner from sister to cousin brother for F4 visa

Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:38 am
Just Joined

atsey is just really niceatsey is just really niceatsey is just really niceatsey is just really niceatsey is just really niceatsey is just really niceatsey is just really niceatsey is just really nice
Default change of petitioner from sister to cousin brother for F4 visa

Hi All
I need some help and advice for the following situation for a F4 visa.

Is it possible to change the name of the petitioner from the sister to the cousin brother??

My wife's older sister petitioned for my wife to emigrate to the US via a F4 visa, but since the petition was filed, they have had a family conflict and they are not on very good speaking terms, even though when my wife first got notified that the NVC were ready to start processing the visa application, she called her sister and at that time they were willing to help out.

Subsequently, her cousin brothers in the US who are USC are more than willing to be her petitioners and to sponsor her, but from the information that I have researched, I do not think that this is going to be possible.

as far as my wife's sister is concerned, there will not be any expenses incurred by the sister, and that all we require is for the sister to fill out and submit the I864.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: change of petitioner from sister to cousin brother for F4 visa

What's a 'cousin brother' - are they a cousin (if so, they can't sponsor you anyway) or a brother? Sorry, but I don't understand which you mean.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:42 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The 'expense' incurred will be the cost of any benefits received by the intended immigrint, since the USG can go after them for sums paid.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Can you change the sponsor mid application? Didn't think so, but you could have two applications on the go.

If the chap is a cousin, they can't sponsor.

And as mentioned above, there is more to being a sponsor than just submitting the forms and paying for those forms.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atsey
I need some help and advice for the following situation for a F4 visa.
You aren't applying for an F4 visa. You're applying for an immigrant visa in category F4 (Family, 4th preference).

Is it possible to change the name of the petitioner from the sister to the cousin brother??
No. If the sister is no longer willing to sponsor you, it's the end of the line. Cousins are not eligible to sponsor... it must be an immediate relative.

Ian
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sorry, but I don't understand which you mean.
I think it was a typo... forgot the 's. I believe he means cousin's brother.

Ian
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I think it was a typo... forgot the 's. I believe he means cousin's brother.
Surely a 'cousin's brother' would then just be a cousin though?!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

Surely a 'cousin's brother' would then just be a cousin though?!
Ah... good point. Perhaps the cousin is via marriage (on the other side of the family, as it were) and the brother is one of "them".

Ian
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

A cousin cannot petition anyone. Only a USC sibling can petition a sibling.

That said, if the petitioner no longer wants to be the sponsor, AND you have a brother (another sibling) who wants to petiton you, they will have to start all over with a new I-130. You cannot just change petitioners.

If it's just a matter of the petitioning sister not meeting the financial qualifications for the affidavit of support, the sister can use a joint sponsor, anyone she chooses. But that's not what it seems the problem is for you, right? It sounds like the sister wants to drop out completely.

If the sister wants to drop out completely, the brother (if that's what it is, and not a cousin), cannot just step in. The brother needs to file a new I130 and the process starts from the beginning again.

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Ah... good point. Perhaps the cousin is via marriage (on the other side of the family, as it were) and the brother is one of "them".

Ian
Just looked it up...a cousin who's a man.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cousin_brother
Old Jun 26th 2012, 4:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cousin_brother
Ah, thank you for that, I've learnt something new today!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 4:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, thank you for that, I've learnt something new today!
yeah, who knew you'd learn something on BE
Old Jun 26th 2012, 5:18 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

as far as my wife's sister is concerned, there will not be any expenses incurred by the sister, and that all we require is for the sister to fill out and submit the I864.
Where are you with this? Have you actually got the notification letter from the NVC?

Seems to me if you're still waiting the thing to do would be to make up with the sister.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
Well... there's something I didn't know until today! Thanks!

Ian