British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Change of Address Saga (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/change-address-saga-347517/)

Mojo418 Jan 10th 2006 8:05 pm

Change of Address Saga

I bought a house back in August last year, and filed an AR-11 and sent copies with letters stating my change of Address to London, KY, Texas Service Center and The Charlotte Sub-office. A few days later I got a letter stating my case had been transferred to the Charlotte Sub-Office and that I would be sent an interview letter at some point. The letter was sent to the old rental house, but I had only sent the change of address days earlier. I then over the next few months sent 3 seperate letters to the Charlotte office, Registered mail and FedEX stating my change of Address in hopes of getting confirmation. (I did get another I797 NOA to my new address after filing the AR-11).

After reading someone elses thread about how they did this and more and were sent a letter that they failed to appear, I decided to book an infopass appoint which was today. To my surprise (sarcasm), they still had my old address. The woman would not listen to anything I had to say asI was trying to explain that I had done everything and more she had suggested to do. She was being short and unhelpful to say the least.

Luckily, at the next window was the attorney I used when withdrawing my initial I751, and refiling with a good-faith waiver. He walked over and asked me how I was doing. The lady behind the desk new him well (as they all do at that office), and all of a sudden she was all sunshine and willing to help me. She had me fill out a change of address form and told me they would pull my file and update it (my file is in charlotte), and she even smiled.

Sorry for the length of the story, but the 2 hour drive through traffic and 20 mintue wait outside was well worth it. If I ever have to change my address again, I'm going to the sub-office in addition to filing the AR-11 with letters elsewhere.

jcapulet Jan 10th 2006 8:11 pm

Re: Change of Address Saga

Originally Posted by Mojo418
Luckily, at the next window was the attorney I used when withdrawing my initial I751, and refiling with a good-faith waiver. He walked over and asked me how I was doing. The lady behind the desk new him well (as they all do at that office), and all of a sudden she was all sunshine and willing to help me.

Wow, lucky you that your attorney happened to be there :D

Too bad it took his presence for her to be more cooperative though...sheesh.

Carl Jan 10th 2006 8:23 pm

AR-11 - what a waste of paper that form is. It just goes off into nana land. Seems like a wonderful candidate for online submission. Even if is doesn't go anywhere, that's nothing different than today:) Maybe it is, but I don't feel like checking...

Hypertweeky Jan 10th 2006 11:08 pm

I bought a house back in August last year, and filed an AR-11 and sent copies with letters stating my change of Address to London, KY, Texas Service Center and The Charlotte Sub-office. A few days later I got a letter stating my case had been transferred to the Charlotte Sub-Office and that I would be sent an interview letter at some point. The letter was sent to the old rental house, but I had only sent the change of address days earlier. I then over the next few months sent 3 seperate letters to the Charlotte office, Registered mail and FedEX stating my change of Address in hopes of getting confirmation. (I did get another I797 NOA to my new address after filing the AR-11).

After reading someone elses thread about how they did this and more and were sent a letter that they failed to appear, I decided to book an infopass appoint which was today. To my surprise (sarcasm), they still had my old address. The woman would not listen to anything I had to say asI was trying to explain that I had done everything and more she had suggested to do. She was being short and unhelpful to say the least.

Luckily, at the next window was the attorney I used when withdrawing my initial I751, and refiling with a good-faith waiver. He walked over and asked me how I was doing. The lady behind the desk new him well (as they all do at that office), and all of a sudden she was all sunshine and willing to help me. She had me fill out a change of address form and told me they would pull my file and update it (my file is in charlotte), and she even smiled.

Sorry for the length of the story, but the 2 hour drive through traffic and 20 mintue wait outside was well worth it. If I ever have to change my address again, I'm going to the sub-office in addition to filing the AR-11 with letters elsewhere.

Man! Your lawyer rocks:D:D

PS: In addition to the AR-11 form, you must call every service center you have pending applications , an AR-11 is used by the DHS to pretty much "track you", but it doesn't update the information on the pending cases.
Glad to hear your trip to the local office was so fruitful:)

gruffbrown Jan 10th 2006 11:31 pm

Aaaagggghhh, USCIS, change of address, AR11, phoning service center.... the nightmares are returning.

Mojo418 Jan 11th 2006 1:01 pm

I sent the AR-11 and certified mail copies to the service center and Charlotte with letters as well as calling the service center and the dreaded 1-800 number. Who suggested I send letters, and lots of them. which I did. You'd think technology would have been introduced where information could be shared and updated dynamically. Someday, someone, somewhere will invent some sort of superhighway, where data can be passed from state to state, hell, even across the world. They'll call it, the interweb, or something like that.

[QUOTE=Hypertweeky]Man! Your lawyer rocks:D:D

Brit3964 Jan 11th 2006 1:32 pm

Ahhh the memories *G* Been there, seen it, done it and read the book!

My I-751 got bounced twice between Atlanta and Charlotte. Luckily somebody had the sense to make a note in my file that I had moved. Apparently the local office can't change the address on the computer, only the service center can do that. Really makes sense right? ;-)

I'm sure having a lawyer file the paperwork helps. When the USCIS see a lawyer's name on the application form, *I think* they might be more careful. The last thing they want is to make a mistake and have a sharp legal eagle breathing down their necks. Especially with a *simple* administrative error.

Theoretically, USCIS are supposed to send a copy of the letter for interview, NOA etc to your lawyer as well as yourself. It doesn't always seem to happen but my NOA for I-751 extension was sent to my lawyer and not me.

I am not a lawyer but I did use one and he was great.

Hypertweeky Jan 11th 2006 2:42 pm

[QUOTE=Mojo418]I sent the AR-11 and certified mail copies to the service center and Charlotte with letters as well as calling the service center and the dreaded 1-800 number. Who suggested I send letters, and lots of them. which I did. You'd think technology would have been introduced where information could be shared and updated dynamically. Someday, someone, somewhere will invent some sort of superhighway, where data can be passed from state to state, hell, even across the world. They'll call it, the interweb, or something like that.

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Man! Your lawyer rocks:D:D

I remember reading that goverment computers are running on win 95.. so no "superhighway" anytime soon :eek:

Carl Jan 11th 2006 7:29 pm

[QUOTE=Hypertweeky]

I sent the AR-11 and certified mail copies to the service center and Charlotte with letters as well as calling the service center and the dreaded 1-800 number. Who suggested I send letters, and lots of them. which I did. You'd think technology would have been introduced where information could be shared and updated dynamically. Someday, someone, somewhere will invent some sort of superhighway, where data can be passed from state to state, hell, even across the world. They'll call it, the interweb, or something like that.

I remember reading that goverment computers are running on win 95.. so no "superhighway" anytime soon :eek:

Is that cow having a seizure or what?

Hypertweeky Jan 11th 2006 7:32 pm

[QUOTE=Carl]

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky

Is that cow having a seizure or what?

No! She is a SUPER HYPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW!