Wikiposts

Case in Investigation Unit?

Old Aug 21st 2002, 2:52 am
Chandni

Default Case in Investigation Unit?

I have been trying to get a I-751 case resolved for almost 4 years now. After my
attorney hit the same brick wall I did trying to get it done, we were told by a
Congressional inquiry that the case was in the investigation unit and may take years
to get out. Has anyone else been thru this? Its already been YEARS but I cant seem to
get anyone to tell me whether I should continue on trying to make a life here
(knowing if they dont approve that file I will be forced to leave) or stay in limbo
like I have been for 4 years. I feel very alone dealing with this and want to see if
any one else has had this happened. Its filed at the TSC. thanks!

Old Aug 21st 2002, 8:02 am
Chris Parker

Default Re: Case in Investigation Unit?

> I have been trying to get a I-751 case resolved for almost 4 years now. After my
    > attorney hit the same brick wall I did trying to get it done, we were told by a
    > Congressional inquiry that the case was in the investigation unit and may take
    > years to get out. Has anyone else been thru this? Its already been YEARS but I cant
    > seem to get anyone to tell me whether I should continue on trying to make a life
    > here (knowing if they dont approve that file I will be forced to leave) or stay in
    > limbo like I have been for 4 years. I feel very alone dealing with this and want to
    > see if any one else has had this happened. Its filed at the TSC.

I don't know what exactly is happening to your case. Are you sure they didn't deny
or abandon your I-751? Can you still get temporary I-551 stamps in your passport at
your local INS office?

If they deny I-751, but you are still married, you can still get your green card back
by filing an I-485. You can only do that *after* they have denied I751 and you lose
permanent resident status, however.

I wouldn't give up your life here if I were you, unless, of course, it isn't working
out well for you and returning home is important to you. In fact, I would have filed
N400 for naturalization some time ago if I were you, and pressure INS and congressman
to get that approved instead.

CP

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 2:11 am
Chandni

[email protected] (Chris Parker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > > I have been trying to get a I-751 case resolved for almost 4 years now. After my
    > > attorney hit the same brick wall I did trying to get it done, we were told by a
    > > Congressional inquiry that the case was in the investigation unit and may take
    > > years to get out. Has anyone else been thru this? Its already been YEARS but I
    > > cant seem to get anyone to tell me whether I should continue on trying to make a
    > > life here (knowing if they dont approve that file I will be forced to leave) or
    > > stay in limbo like I have been for 4 years. I feel very alone dealing with this
    > > and want to see if any one else has had this happened. Its filed at the TSC.
    > I don't know what exactly is happening to your case. Are you sure they didn't deny
    > or abandon your I-751? Can you still get temporary I-551 stamps in your passport
    > at your local INS office?
    > If they deny I-751, but you are still married, you can still get your green card
    > back by filing an I-485. You can only do that *after* they have denied I751 and
    > you lose permanent resident status, however.
    > I wouldn't give up your life here if I were you, unless, of course, it isn't
    > working out well for you and returning home is important to you. In fact, I would
    > have filed N400 for naturalization some time ago if I were you, and pressure INS
    > and congressman to get that approved instead.
    > CP

My marriage broke up before the magic two year mark so thats why I filed the I751. I
have an attorney, we have discussed the N400 and I have contacted 2 Senators and my
local US Rep for help...all they have been able to find out is about the
Investigation Unit and that its still pending. Yes every year I can get the I-551
stamp in my passport with a 1 year expiration date. I am trying to find out if
anyone has gone thru this, proven their case and actually had their case resolved. At
this point the uncertainty is just maddening.

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 3:55 am
Ade Shell

HI! We seem to be in the same boat as you! We filed at TSC in 2000, and its been over
2 years. I did contact my congressman as well as our senator but they always give me
a generic "pending" status and never specifically look into our case!

We go to Atlanta every year and have to have my husband's passport stamped for
another year while we are still pending. We just take our receipt that we got from
TSC in 2000 and show them we filed I-751 and its still pending, and tell them we need
another stamp.

This is soooooo frustrating. Did you try and go to Atlanta in person?

We asked the first year while in person, for them to tell us what was going on with
our case and the lady was very RUDE and refused.

This year, the lady stood up to go and get someone from the "I-751" department, but
then came back and said "oh, well we are in the process of moving all files from one
room to another and no files would be able to be located at this time, come back in a
few weeks"! Arggggggg!

We had to drive over 5 hrs to get there, pay for hotel, pay to kennel dogs, take off
work and lose $, AND stand in line from 4am! Does she think its that easy just to
come back in a few weeks?

I asked when the I-751 person in usually in, and explained that since we will be
coming from Savannah we don't want to make the trip on a day he will not be there.
She wouldn't say, and said we'd just have to take a gamble.

That was July, so a few weeks INS time is more like 6 months I would think. So we are
going to wait a few months, then go back.

Please feel free to email me, I'd love to talk to you because believe me I completely
understand your frustration with the I-751!

Its been such a nightmare! We did everything correctly and triple checked we filled
out everything and included all proof they asked for and some!

You are not alone! -Shell [email protected]

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 9:37 am
Chris Parker

> My marriage broke up before the magic two year mark so thats why I filed the I751.
    > I have an attorney, we have discussed the N400 and I have contacted 2 Senators and
    > my local US Rep for help...all they have been able to find out is about the
    > Investigation Unit and that its still pending. Yes every year I can get the I-551
    > stamp in my passport with a 1 year expiration date. I am trying to find out if
    > anyone has gone thru this, proven their case and actually had their case resolved.
    > At this point the uncertainty is just maddening.

You can file N400 at the 5-year anniversary of when you received your green card;
you've met the requirements for naturalization at that point.

CP