Can't check in online!

Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

yellowfruit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can't check in online!

Just leaving this here for folks who may try and checkin online like I just did. I'm flying out on a K1 visa tomorrow, one way to the USA. Because it's a one way flight, United wouldn't let me check in online.

I've called and asked the folks at United, they updated the advance details that the website wouldn't take either for where I'm staying the first night (with my fiancée obviously), and the assured me that there will be no problems at the checkin desk.

Anyone else have this fun when they went out on their K1? Searching around here didn't bring up much!

Matthew
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't check in online!

I'm assuming that it is that way because the US is at the moment experiencing weather related delays and cancellations at many large airports. Delta is one of the airlines which is quick to cancel flights in threat of a storm approaching.

PS I have never ever checked in online and have been find. Just get to the airport in plenty of time.

PPS My daughter and her family checked in online for their holiday flight from New York to Mississippi and still did not make their flight and they were there 1-1/2 hours before scheduled departure and actually 2-1/2 hours before since the flight was delayed an hour. Had to due to lack of personnel manning the security checkpoint.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

No no, it's not that it won't function, it knocked me back. I put in my passport details and my visa number but I couldn't progress through check in as the USA "require an onward or return flight".

But thanks, I'm sure it'll all be alright!

Matthew
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

OM, you are coming without a return ticket? Did it cost you a fortune?
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

£200 with miles

I didn't want to get a return as there's no point and it doesn't look good for me, if I leave I forfeit the process. I'm coming to marry and become a permanent resident, I don't want to go back!

Matthew
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:09 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by yellowfruit
£200 with miles

I didn't want to get a return as there's no point and it doesn't look good for me, if I leave I forfeit the process. I'm coming to marry and become a permanent resident, I don't want to go back!

Matthew

Understand the first reason, but where did you come up with the second one?

Most people buy a round trip and then once in the US they will cancel the return and leave an open voucher for booking another leg of a flight in the future.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Now you tell me It wasn't clear what happened to the second leg, for all I knew I'd get charged the extra for a single direction flight.

I am going back, but not until the end of this year when I've got my GC set up in work etc.

Matthew
Old Jan 14th 2011, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Just leaving this here for folks who may try and checkin online like I just did. I'm flying out on a K1 visa tomorrow, one way to the USA. Because it's a one way flight, United wouldn't let me check in online.

I've called and asked the folks at United, they updated the advance details that the website wouldn't take either for where I'm staying the first night (with my fiancée obviously), and the assured me that there will be no problems at the checkin desk.

Anyone else have this fun when they went out on their K1? Searching around here didn't bring up much!

Matthew
I had a similar problem two years ago, when my USC wife and I were flying back to the UK. United wouldn't let her check in online without a return ticket to the US or proof of onward travel, despite the fact that we had travelled with them from the UK, and that my wife lives there. We've never flown with them again.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

For completeness, there were no problems and in the end I got upgraded to economy plus and switched to a flight through O'Hare instead of Dulles which arrived earlier!

Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

For completeness, there were no problems and in the end I got upgraded to economy plus and switched to a flight through O'Hare instead of Dulles which arrived earlier!

lol, butter side up!

I was going to post 'you know, I read about that here just recently..' and then saw the original date of your thread.

Economy Plus is soooo much nicer.. enjoy!