Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Canada Consulate/Interview question

Canada Consulate/Interview question

Old Jul 23rd 2001, 7:07 am
Thrash

I'm an american citizen and am planning on marrying my canadian fiancee in february.
She lives in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

My question is, does she *have* to go to meet someone for an interview and where is
the closest/easiest place for her to do so?

I'm thinking that she would have to go to Montreal, which I hope is not the case. It
would be hard for her to afford a flight there and back.

Thanks for any and all info/advice,

Thrash

Old Jul 23rd 2001, 12:00 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Thrash wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
If your spouse will be immigrating to the US, it would be quicker to not marry and
file for a fiance visa for her and then to marry in the US. If you marry her there,
you will have to file an I-130 to the US service center and your waiting time will be
longer, possibly even close to twice what it would be for fiance visa (depends on
which service center you are using however, some are quicker than others) For more
info about filing I-130, try this site:
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Congress/2806/ For more info about fiance visa,
try the URL's below. Alvena
===
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only.
===
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Timelines: http://www.wkh.org/ A great K-1 Site:
http://pages.prodigy.net/alixtcat/immigrat.htm Doc Steen's Marriage Visa Pages:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
===

Old Jul 23rd 2001, 1:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And contrary to some people's opinion, it is not illegal if she can successfully nagivate the POE without lying and/or giving false statements and enters the US to get married. She then files the I-485 and you the I-130 for her at the local INS level. She can then live here with you in the US without your having to be separated. She can also file the I-765 for the EAD so that she can work and obtain a social security card. And if she needs to return to Canada for her belongings, she can file for advance parole, I-131, and go back to Canada for a visit, holiday, etc. without having her petitions considered abandoned.

Of course, the Fiancee Visa is the "safest" way to go meaning she doesn't have to worry at all about lying at the POE about her intentions while in the US. In that case she can interview in Vancouver or Montreal.

If you go the marriage route and her return to Canada to wait out the I-130 processing, you are looking at about a year's wait apart and her having to interview in Montreal. As for the expense of the trip, it is assumed that as her husband you would be able to afford to give her the plane fare ;-)

Rita
Old Jul 23rd 2001, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Jeremy is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I went through the K1 fiancee visa process. I was from Winnipeg too and went through the Vancouver consulate for the interview. From what I've been able to see, Vancouver processes things a bit quicker than Montreal would. As well the people at the Vancouver Consulate were very easy to deal with and were very friendly.

As for plane fares, I went on Westjet for about half of what Air Canada (the country's major airline) would have charged me. Have her look into Westjet's schedule (when the time comes for the consulate interview) and attempt to schedule the interview on a day that she could get the low fares they offer. Vancouver is very accomodating on interview dates.

Also, when it comes time to do the medical exam, I'd recommend she gets it done in Winnipeg. There are too doctors that administer it there, and the one I went to was nice, and it didn't cost as much as it would in Vancouver.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old Jul 24th 2001, 5:02 am
Shelley

My husband is also from Winnipeg, and he went through Montreal in 1999. He was going
to drive to Montreal, but the lease on his car was up a week before his interview,
and we looked into bus fares (kinda expensive and a long ride) and found renting a
car was less the bus. In the end, he was lucky enough to haul his last load (he is a
truck driver) for Day and Ross right to Montreal, had his appointment and then headed
home, loaded up the truck and moved. Take Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >