Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can you sue DOS/INS for depression caused to their errrors and delays

Can you sue DOS/INS for depression caused to their errrors and delays

Old Sep 1st 2005, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

scatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud of
Default Can you sue DOS/INS for depression caused to their errrors and delays

Hi

Does anyone know if this has ever been done ?

If yes did immigration attorney bring case to court or a different type of laywer?

of can this be part of same law suit Mamadaus (I think)
Old Sep 1st 2005, 4:42 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you sue DOS/INS for depression caused to their errrors and delays

Originally Posted by scatty
Hi

If yes did immigration attorney bring case to court or a different type of laywer?

I think if you tried this you would get even more stressed and depressed. The thing to do is ask a few lawyers to do this work on contingency: see how many want to pick up the case, even for 75% of damages. That should give you a pretty good idea of whether it's feasible or not...
Old Sep 1st 2005, 4:52 pm
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Can you sue DOS/INS for depression caused to their errrors and delays

This is the United States of America. You can sue anyone for anything.

*Winning* on the other hand is another story...
Old Sep 1st 2005, 4:58 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you sue DOS/INS for depression caused to their errrors and delays

Hi

You mean Mandamus, we were talking about this last night, I believe (I'm not an attorney, Mrs G is) that it only applies if a federal department does nothing, I assume in your case they did something, albeit slowly and incorrectly. Consult an attorney
Old Sep 1st 2005, 5:01 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

No kidding! The stress and depression this process is causing is just crazy. It's been building up on me a lot lately. I wish you could.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

ControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant future

If you could sue them for causing stress and depression, then everyone would do it.
And I wonder who would eventually pick up the cost of that!

CF
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:16 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Hi:

My initial reaction is probably not. But google "Bivens Unnamed Unkown"
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:25 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

You could.. now whether you will be successfull is a whole different story.
Good Luck!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:28 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
You could.. now whether you will be successfull is a whole different story.Good Luck!
There's a parrot in the room ...
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:31 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
There's a parrot in the room ...
Ray.. I didn't see the upper comment until now.. thanks for the compliment..
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Stina is just really niceStina is just really niceStina is just really niceStina is just really niceStina is just really niceStina is just really niceStina is just really niceStina is just really niceStina is just really nice

Do you think if we ALL tried it, they'd give in and make the process more user-friendly?!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 7:31 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stina
Do you think if we ALL tried it, they'd give in and make the process more user-friendly?!
Hi:

Personally I think that a lot of District Court Judges would start invoking Rule 11 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, a lot.

Also, the OP's question raises LOTS of issues which would be the Bar Examination "cross-over" question on Torts, Damages, & Jurisdiction from Hell.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 2:59 pm
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stina

Or maybe it would just piss them off, slowing the whole process down for everyone... *the mind boggles*
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

But google "Bivens Unnamed Unkown"
Why? It only gives 5 hits, none that are related to law, immigration, or otherwise. I'd suggest adding an extra "n" to "Unkown".
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
Why? It only gives 5 hits, none that are related to law, immigration, or otherwise. I'd suggest adding an extra "n" to "Unkown".
Gulp!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.