Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

can spouse of US citizen visit on tourist visa while waiting for I-130 approval?

can spouse of US citizen visit on tourist visa while waiting for I-130 approval?

Old Feb 4th 2001, 7:03 am
Ashish Tambar

Hello everybody, I have another I-130 question: Is it possible that my spouse can come to
US on a tourist visa while we wait for our I-130 approval? I am a US citizen and we have
filed our I-130 with VSC. Your response will be greatly appreciated. Tahnk you, Ashish

Old Feb 4th 2001, 9:36 am
MoonRose13

Dear Ashish,

<< I have another I-130 question: Is it possible that my spouse can come to US on a
tourist visa while we wait for our I-130 approval? I am a US citizen and we have filed our
I-130 with VSC. >>

This question does not really have a simple answer. I think it depends on the country in
which your spouse lives. The US Embassy at Singapore did not allow my husband to come to
the United States until the process for his PR Visa was completed. At that time
Singaporeans had to have a visa to enter the United States. I am sure happy I was able to
live with him in Singapore during that time. Just a short while after we came here, the
law changed allowing Singaporeans to visit America for ninety days without a visa. Does
the United States require people from your spouse's country to have a vias to visit here?

Love and Blessed Be, Theresa

Old Feb 4th 2001, 10:18 am
Ashish Tambar

Hi, My spouse is from india, and indians r required to have a visa before they can come
to us. But i was just wondering if having already filed an i-130 would be a plus point in
our case, since my spouse will eventually be coming here anyways, so why not just give
her the permission now and then take care of the papers while she is here already. I
don't know if ins would be looking at the whole situation from my point of view. Thanks
for your reply. Ashish.

MoonRose13 wrote:

> Dear Ashish,
>
> << I have another I-130 question: Is it possible that my spouse can come to US on a
> tourist visa while we wait for our I-130 approval? I am a US citizen and we have filed
> our I-130 with VSC. >>
>
> This question does not really have a simple answer. I think it depends on the country
> in which your spouse lives. The US Embassy at Singapore did not allow my husband to
> come to the United States until the process for his PR Visa was completed. At that time
> Singaporeans had to have a visa to enter the United States. I am sure happy I was able
> to live with him in Singapore during that time. Just a short while after we came here,
> the law changed allowing Singaporeans to visit America for ninety days without a visa.
> Does the United States require people from your spouse's country to have a vias to
> visit here?
>
> Love and Blessed Be, Theresa

Old Feb 5th 2001, 12:44 pm
arsheth

You can try and go to the consulate with all the papers in hand for tourist visa. My wife
tried in Mumbai and her tourist Visa was rejected by the case office in Mumbai since she
had one application in progess for I130. The point is you can try but you must be honest
and tell the consulate that your wife has a I130 in progress otherwise you could open up a
whole can of mess for your self.

In article <[email protected]>,

> Hello everybody, I have another I-130 question: Is it possible that my spouse can come
> to US on a tourist visa while
we
> wait for our I-130 approval? I am a US citizen and we have filed our I-130 with VSC.
> Your response will be greatly appreciated. Tahnk you, Ashish