Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can someone tell me what happens when....

Wikiposts

Can someone tell me what happens when....

Old Mar 12th 2004, 6:18 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can someone tell me what happens when....

Originally posted by SecretGarden
Heh, Rene! I worried what my "English-English" speaking, now-husband would do when confronted with only "American-English" speakers on a daily basis! (I've been attempting to interject little British phrases into conversation every now and then to make him feel at home but he ends up looking at me like I just grew a second head or something.......)

~SecretGarden
(hoping someday to be able to shout, "Bloody Hell!" and make it sound natural......)
Hi SG!

You're right, that post could have applied to anyone! So you must feel like I do, when I think my affected British accent sounds just like a native, and my English friends laugh hysterically ;-)

So glad to see you guys happy

Rene
Old Mar 12th 2004, 6:37 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

~SecretGarden
(hoping someday to be able to shout, "Bloody Hell!" and make it sound natural......)
Hehehehehe!!! Corey's almost got that one perfected!!!! The trick is to pronounce the "hell" part and leave off the "h", giving you "bloody 'ell!!!" Sounds much more authentic!!!

He also ribs me all the time about not pronouncing my "t's". I pointed out, though, that when an American pronounces a "t", sometimes it sounds like "d". Double standards, huh?

Kate. xxxxx
Old Mar 12th 2004, 6:52 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Hehehehehe!!! Corey's almost got that one perfected!!!! The trick is to pronounce the "hell" part and leave off the "h", giving you "bloody 'ell!!!" Sounds much more authentic!!!

He also ribs me all the time about not pronouncing my "t's". I pointed out, though, that when an American pronounces a "t", sometimes it sounds like "d". Double standards, huh?

Kate. xxxxx
Oooh, now we're getting complicated! Throw in the fact that I'm a speech and language therapist and it's a deadly combination at my house!

Kate, give this some thought. I've noticed that when the Brits I've been around (and actually even most British singers I know of) say a word that ends in a "D" (such as "mad" "sad" "head", etc) the D ends up being produced unvoiced, like a "t" instead of a D. This only occurs in the final position of a word. Would you agree?

~SG
(who can now picture Kate sitting there mouthing to the puter, figuring out if she's voicing her final Ts!)

and to the OP: just come with a good sense of humor and an open mind, and you will be just fine........good luck!

Last edited by SecretGarden; Mar 12th 2004 at 6:54 am.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 7:42 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kate, give this some thought. I've noticed that when the Brits I've been around (and actually even most British singers I know of) say a word that ends in a "D" (such as "mad" "sad" "head", etc) the D ends up being produced unvoiced, like a "t" instead of a D. This only occurs in the final position of a word. Would you agree?

~SG
(who can now picture Kate sitting there mouthing to the puter, figuring out if she's voicing her final Ts!)

and to the OP: just come with a good sense of humor and an open mind, and you will be just fine........good luck!
SG, what are ya trying to do to me???? You're making me think too hard now!!!! Hehehehe!!!

It's so funny how the English language has so many variations. I lived close to London, and worked with full-blown Cockney's for a while, thus picking up their phrases. I work in a sales office now, and when I'm on the phone, my accent involuntarily turns into one resembling Hugh Grant's!!! Bizarre!!!

Kate. xxxx
Old Mar 12th 2004, 11:17 am
Aegina1028

Oooh, you guys could keep me on the computer all night -- I'm a college English
professor and I teach ESL; my fiance's a Brit and we've had all KINDS of
conversations about being "two countries separated by a common language"!
Isn't it amazing?

Aegina
(whose students asked her today if you can say "the team have won more games
this season than last" and were told "Not in America.")