Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can petitioner do their own certified translations for the I-130?

Can petitioner do their own certified translations for the I-130?

Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

huacheetah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can petitioner do their own certified translations for the I-130?

Hi everyone,
I'm helping a friend with the I-130 she's filling out for her husband. She'll be applying to the Chicago Lockbox since in Chile you can no longer do the DCF process through the embassy. She needs to have a few documents translated to English. Can she do her own certified translations? I noticed on the I-130 instructions, they don't say you can't do your own translations, they just want them to be certified. However on immihelp dot com, they say you can't do you own translations. What is you guys experience with this?
Thanks!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can petitioner do their own certified translations for the I-130?

Originally Posted by huacheetah
Hi everyone,
I'm helping a friend with the I-130 she's filling out for her husband. She'll be applying to the Chicago Lockbox since in Chile you can no longer do the DCF process through the embassy. She needs to have a few documents translated to English. Can she do her own certified translations? I noticed on the I-130 instructions, they don't say you can't do your own translations, they just want them to be certified. However on immihelp dot com, they say you can't do you own translations. What is you guys experience with this?
Thanks!
My experience with our K-1 visa is that I could do my own translations. I think it's OK if the petitoiner does the translating, as long as the they certify that they are capable of doing the translating, are fluent in both languages, and that it's a true and exact translation of the document.

Rene
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:01 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can petitioner do their own certified translations for the I-130?

It's been a while, but from time to time one comes across a case where the case officer would not accept translations done by the parties involved due to the possibility of conflict of interest.

Those people who want to do things 'perfectly' so as to avoid any and all possibility of delay might be best advised to have a third party do the translations. Otherwise, do what makes you feel the most comfortable.