British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Can L1 holder's spouse work in USA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/can-l1-holders-spouse-work-usa-227526/)

sbasak Apr 29th 2004 8:25 am

Can L1 holder's spouse work in USA?

Can anyone tell me whether spouse of an L1 visa holder can work in USA?

Thanx

Ray Apr 29th 2004 1:08 pm

Re: Can L1 holder's spouse work in USA?

Originally posted by sbasak
Can anyone tell me whether spouse of an L1 visa holder can work in USA?

Thanx
Yes! your spouse can apply for an EAD ..Employment Authorization Document

sbasak Apr 30th 2004 8:59 am

Is it applicable for both L1A & L1B visa?

Gross50 Apr 30th 2004 12:18 pm

Originally posted by sbasak
Is it applicable for both L1A & L1B visa?
yep, as long as they got L2

LumpyDomestos Apr 30th 2004 2:12 pm

How does this apply for Fiancees? I have an L1B visa offer as a UK citizen but my Canadian fiancee does not qualify for a TN visa. We are commonlaw husband and wife in the eyes of the UK government.

Ray Apr 30th 2004 2:23 pm

Originally posted by LumpyDomestos
How does this apply for Fiancees? I have an L1B visa offer as a UK citizen but my Canadian fiancee does not qualify for a TN visa. We are commonlaw husband and wife in the eyes of the UK government.
Sorry Lumpy does not apply....You will have to marry...

LumpyDomestos Apr 30th 2004 2:27 pm

Originally posted by ray6
Sorry Lumpy does not apply....You will have to marry...
Just as I suspected..... Oh well, thank you and back to the drawing board! :)

November Soul May 3rd 2004 5:05 pm

Does anyone know why this is okay for L1, but not okay for H1-B ? It would
be so much easier if my wife could work.

Bob.

"ray6" <member9793@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by sbasak
    > > Can anyone tell me whether
    > spouse of an L1 visa holder can work in USA?
    > >
    > > Thanx
    > Yes!
    > your spouse can apply for an EAD ..Employment Authorization Document
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Joachim Feise May 3rd 2004 5:12 pm

November Soul said on 5/3/2004 19:05:

> Does anyone know why this is okay for L1, but not okay for H1-B ?

Easy: because the law that Congress approved only mentions the L2.

-Joe

Ray May 3rd 2004 6:21 pm

Originally posted by November Soul
Does anyone know why this is okay for L1, but not okay for H1-B ? It wouldbe so much easier if my wife could work.
You have to remember why the L-1 came into being ...it was initially for large international companies to move their staff around the world especially for the likes of Microsoft, GM, Ford etc... any political contribution was purely coincidental..

Englishmum May 3rd 2004 8:54 pm

Originally posted by ray6
You have to remember why the L-1 came into being ...it was initially for large international companies to move their staff around the world especially for the likes of Microsoft, GM, Ford etc... any political contribution was purely coincidental..

True. I know for a fact there was a lot of lobbying going on as I used to get e-mails via the www.expatexchange.com website about it.

There was more and more resistance from senior managers refusing to take up expat posts in the USA as their spouses (mainly wives) often had their own careers and didn't want to be out of the workforce just because they were relocating to the States with their spouse.

My husband's company paid for the authorization for me to work in the US (I think it cost about $1000) but I'm not bothered about working.....I can't bear the thought of only getting about one or two weeks' annual leave and not being able to fly home to visit my family. I'm doing voluntary work instead so I can choose to take time off to suit.

oopssorry34 May 3rd 2004 9:20 pm

Hi there Englishmum

My children and I are off to the USA in a few weeks on L2 visas. Hubby has been out there a few months now, I'm sorting out the selling of the house etc in the UK. I had no intentions of applying for the EAD, but we've encountered a problem with a SSN for myself. Without the EAD they wouldn't issue one to me, my husband's company will apply for an EAD once I am in the USA. Did you have the same problem with the SSN? What is concerning me is that my children will not be entitled to a SSN, have you had a similar experience to this problem? Thanks!

Gross50 May 3rd 2004 9:54 pm

Originally posted by Englishmum
True. I know for a fact there was a lot of lobbying going on as I used to get e-mails via the www.expatexchange.com website about it.

There was more and more resistance from senior managers refusing to take up expat posts in the USA as their spouses (mainly wives) often had their own careers and didn't want to be out of the workforce just because they were relocating to the States with their spouse.

My husband's company paid for the authorization for me to work in the US (I think it cost about $1000) but I'm not bothered about working.....I can't bear the thought of only getting about one or two weeks' annual leave and not being able to fly home to visit my family. I'm doing voluntary work instead so I can choose to take time off to suit.
i thought EAD costs 120 bucks? is 1000 bucks a wild guess?
which comes first EAD or SSN?

Englishmum May 3rd 2004 11:07 pm

Originally posted by oopssorry34
Hi there Englishmum

My children and I are off to the USA in a few weeks on L2 visas. Hubby has been out there a few months now, I'm sorting out the selling of the house etc in the UK. I had no intentions of applying for the EAD, but we've encountered a problem with a SSN for myself. Without the EAD they wouldn't issue one to me, my husband's company will apply for an EAD once I am in the USA. Did you have the same problem with the SSN? What is concerning me is that my children will not be entitled to a SSN, have you had a similar experience to this problem? Thanks!

You are *very* brave indeed to be selling your house in the UK. We have kept ours for a number of reasons; one of which is that if my husband were to be made redundant (it happens) or his working conditions were to be untenable we still have a base in the UK as without permanent residency we would have to return to the UK immediately. Also, after seeing what has happened to the British housing market since we left the UK nine years ago we're glad we've kept it; we still have our options open as otherwise it would be difficult to be able to get started on the housing ladder all over again. The main reason for us though is that because we still have our house in England, we were able to prove to the universities that our daughter applied to that we hadn't emigrated and still have ties to the UK.

Personally until you have your Green Cards I would be very wary of selling up in the UK; please read the account in the 'USA' forum about Honeymommy. Her husband was led to believe that his employer would be filing for Green Cards.....there has been a big mess with the filing of their application. They have reached the end of the employment contract and maxed out their time-limit in the US and now have to pack up and return to the UK. Please take this on board and 'be aware'.

No, you won't get your Social Security number until your EAD has been approved. When you receive your little plastic work authorization card with your photo on it you have to take it with your passport to your nearest Social Security office and complete a form to apply for your SS number. I had mine in the mail a week later.

My husband's company did pay $1000 for my EAD and I'd been living in the States for more than 2 years before applying - the Act allowing spouses on L2s to work was only passed about 2 years ago (very quietly, no fanfares or major announcements. I only found out about it from the expatexchange e-mail). I think this $1000 is the fee for priority processing....but then again the company's attorneys probably charged quite a bit for filing it too! LOL.

Children are not entitled to work on L2 visas so they can't get a social security number. They will be able to have TIN (Tax ID No). numbers for your husband's tax purposes.

supernav May 4th 2004 1:06 am

The comedy is:

the L2's have more options and more freedoms on working then their sponsoring L1B's. :)

funny huh?

-= nav =-