Can I use the VWP twice a year?

Old Feb 21st 2012, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I use the VWP twice a year?

Originally Posted by ALJ20
why are you laughing at me? I came to this forum for advice & help.I wanted to see if anyone had any experience of this.
can you please explain simply to me what it is?
Ok I realise now i should stay for less than 90 days when i want to go. Im terrified of being denyed entry all i wanted was some advice on this.
There's no definite answer. Whether you are refused entry or not is totally at the discretion of the admitting officer at the port of entry. After some indeterminate number of twice-annual 90 day trips, you will almost certainly invite some questions at some point. Your answers to these questions will determine if you are refused entry.

You haven't said whether you work or are unemployed/retired. If you work, how are you getting this much time off work? How are you supporting yourself financially? What are your strong ties to the UK? Continue on your current path and you will eventually be asked these questions by an immigration officer.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 6:00 am
Sailorchief

Sailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really nice

If you are over 50 you can get 18 months worth of good health insurance cover which DOES include the USA as a destination and covers 220 pre-existing conditions if you have any. It is mainly aimed at European long- stayers but I was assured that the same aplies to the States...

www.staysure.co.uk
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:49 am
Just Joined

ALJ20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
There's no definite answer. Whether you are refused entry or not is totally at the discretion of the admitting officer at the port of entry. After some indeterminate number of twice-annual 90 day trips, you will almost certainly invite some questions at some point. Your answers to these questions will determine if you are refused entry.

You haven't said whether you work or are unemployed/retired. If you work, how are you getting this much time off work? How are you supporting yourself financially? What are your strong ties to the UK? Continue on your current path and you will eventually be asked these questions by an immigration officer.
Well I was fine going twice before for that long the immigration officer didnt seem too bothered asked me what are you doing here how long you here for who you staying with and that was it and sent me on my way however i left 6 months inbetween trips.

Im actually 19, 20 in 2 months. So definatly not retiered. Well i go back to the UK and look for a job & usually get one for around 3 months or more if i cannot get a job as its getting harder i volunter in a chairty store so you know im doing something productive & get job seekers allowence. I manage to get relitively cheap flights as i use the same airline each time and get disscounts & I usually take around $400 or more with me each time-the officer has never asked me about how much money i have.

I just wondered how often i could go back for 90 days or under on the VWP. But i know its up to the officer on the day. I do have ties back in the UK so i think i will be ok getting in again.

I have now thought about going for less time each time i go now say like 60 days or less. What do you guys think?

I also had no idea about taxes until i posted in this forum im worryed about that what if i cannot pay them when they ask for them in 3 years?
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, who is it you stay with in the US, is it your boyfriend?
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Out of interest, who is it you stay with in the US, is it your boyfriend?
Yes with him & his family why? I told the immigration officer this the 2nd time i went and he was fine with it & didnt ask any questions about that I told him because i thought its best to tell the truth. Im confused as a lot of people say its a bad idea to tell them you have a realtionship but the officer was fine with it.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes with him & his family why? I told the immigration officer this the 2nd time i went and he was fine with it & didnt ask any questions about that I told him because i thought its best to tell the truth. Im confused as a lot of people say its a bad idea to tell them you have a realtionship but the officer was fine with it.
Just out of interest really, I wondered what the reasons for the long trips were, but it makes sense now. You've got to tell the truth if asked, so you did the right thing.

Best of luck with it.

Old Feb 21st 2012, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

US on 5 dollars a day can be done.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 3:09 pm
Waiting for GC

Linda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sailorchief
If you are over 50 you can get 18 months worth of good health insurance cover which DOES include the USA as a destination and covers 220 pre-existing conditions if you have any. It is mainly aimed at European long- stayers but I was assured that the same aplies to the States...

www.staysure.co.uk
You need to be under 65 otherwise the max trip length (for worldwide anyway) is 35 days.
Once you're 80 they won't give you a quote for insurance - again this was for worldwide.
My Father is 80 this year so I guess he'll just have to come out with no healthcare coverage and plead poverty if he needs any care like many others here do.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 3:28 pm
Sailorchief

Sailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really nice

Linda - Sorry but it is up to age 75 for between 3 and 18 months cover if you look at the long stay section of the site. My 75 yo aunt has just been diagnosed with a very small aortic hernia and the insurance co. wants 10 times or nearly £900 for a 2 week stay! I told her to risk it because if it goes its final anyway!
Old Feb 21st 2012, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.staysure.co.uk/travel-insurance/faq#22

There are other conditions that look a bit odd.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Lissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really nice

Well I was fine going twice before for that long the immigration officer didnt seem too bothered asked me what are you doing here how long you here for who you staying with and that was it and sent me on my way however i left 6 months inbetween trips.

Im actually 19, 20 in 2 months. So definatly not retiered. Well i go back to the UK and look for a job & usually get one for around 3 months or more if i cannot get a job as its getting harder i volunter in a chairty store so you know im doing something productive & get job seekers allowence. I manage to get relitively cheap flights as i use the same airline each time and get disscounts & I usually take around $400 or more with me each time-the officer has never asked me about how much money i have.

I just wondered how often i could go back for 90 days or under on the VWP. But i know its up to the officer on the day. I do have ties back in the UK so i think i will be ok getting in again.

I have now thought about going for less time each time i go now say like 60 days or less. What do you guys think?

I also had no idea about taxes until i posted in this forum im worryed about that what if i cannot pay them when they ask for them in 3 years?
ALJ20,

This is purely my personal take on your story, but it would seem to me that you´re visiting the US for too long at a time with not enough time in the UK in between.
It´s pretty obvious to me that you won´t be able to continue your travel pattern in this vein for much longer before you get sent off for secondary screening at the US Port of Entry and possibly denied entry.
Also, be aware that should you be denied entry at the US Port of Entry and there is no available flight back to your home country that day, you may risk having to spend the night in the custody of US immigration/CBP.

Basically, you should be spacing out your US journeys, so that you at the very least as a minimum stay out of the US for at least as long as your last stay in the US, and preferably for longer than that.
A pattern of repeated, long visits to the US with relatively little time in between is clearly a very bad idea, as such a pattern could very easily be seen as a mis-use of the VWP privileges by the US immigration agents at the Port of Entry. And, frankly, who could blame them for thinking so?

My advice would be:
Go for much shorter periods of time, say a maximum of 2-3 weeks per visit and space those visits out far more time-wise, so that you won´t risk being seen as more or less "living" in the US by the immigrations authorities.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

I had a period where I was doing a similar pattern. Three months in, two weeks out, another six weeks in, two months out, two months in etc.

It was fine at first. Then, one time I was taken to "secondary questioning" where I was asked how I was supporting myself in the US. I was honest, and told them I had funds to support my trip. I was given a 90 day stamp.

The next time I tried to enter, I got taken to secondary again. The questioning was tougher and they searched my luggage too. I was held for about 2 hours. I was eventually admitted again, as they were apparently satisfied I was not working in the US.

On both of these occasions I found these agents to be sullen, impolite and humourless.

I then stopped using the VWP and applied for a business visa (B1)
Old Feb 21st 2012, 5:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

www.staysure.co.uk

Linda - Sorry but it is up to age 75 for between 3 and 18 months cover if you look at the long stay section of the site. My 75 yo aunt has just been diagnosed with a very small aortic hernia and the insurance co. wants 10 times or nearly £900 for a 2 week stay! I told her to risk it because if it goes its final anyway!
Sorry but that insurance sounds like a case of....if it's too good to be true it probably is. It may look OK but I wonder what would happen if you need to claim.

Originally Posted by Linda44
You need to be under 65 otherwise the max trip length (for worldwide anyway) is 35 days.
Once you're 80 they won't give you a quote for insurance - again this was for worldwide.
My Father is 80 this year so I guess he'll just have to come out with no healthcare coverage and plead poverty if he needs any care like many others here do.
Anyone who comes to this country without insurance or does not have good insurance cover must be absolutey stark raving bonkers.

I would not ask or allow any of my relatives to stay with me without adequate insurance.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 6:16 pm
Sailorchief

Anyone who has ever tried to claim from any insurance co will know that they will always try and wriggle out of paying if they can - they're all a shower of rogues!
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

hmm mixed answers here.
Some people say its fine others say i could get denyed entry one day. The reason why i want to go for so long is because flights are not cheap & i want to make to most out of one flight/trip.
After reading many forums on this I have deicded its up to the immigration officer. I will probally go for less time when going to the usa again & leave more months inbetween or mabey even go for 3 months once a year rather than twice a year & try and get him to visit me. I am very worryed about being denyed entry as that would mean i wouldnt be able to see my boyfriend.
I will just take my chances with this I think.

Last edited by ALJ20; Feb 21st 2012 at 8:12 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.