Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can I use visa waiver programme after arrest?

Can I use visa waiver programme after arrest?

Old Jan 5th 2012, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I use visa waiver programme after arrest?

Originally Posted by GarethThomason673
The conflicting information just frustrates me.
The Americans have a saying: "Good enough for government work."

They expect me to call the embassy at a ridiculous rate, travel to and from york to london for a meeting regarding a visa, then pay for the visa, all because of a silly little arrest years ago that resulted in a fine!
Yup, the US Embassy (prop. US Dept. of State) would like you to spend money on calls and visa fees. Fortunately for you, it's the US Dept. of Homeland Security's rules that you have to comply with.

I will go-ahead and travel and tick no on the visa waiver you receive on the plane. I am being honest and not lying, but I am slightly guilty in that I know what the US Embassy and my travel conditions state.
You don't get a visa waiver form on the plane any more - the ESTA has replaced that. Relax and enjoy your holiday.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I will go-ahead and travel and tick no on the visa waiver you receive on the plane.
You don't get an I-94W on the plane anymore. ESTA took the place of that.

Rene

Edit...oops, sorry, didn't see rpjs already answered that one.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

GarethThomason673 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
I'm still interested in finding out exactly what grounds you think they've got for refusing you at the point of entry? If it isn't moral turpitude (and we're all pretty much agreed by now that it isn't), then what else? Have a look at the list of inadmissibilities in the following link and have a guess which ones might apply to you: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86933.pdf
Nothing is on there that would make my inelligible. Can't say I'm lying if their own government website does not have anything that makes me inelligble! Just (hopefully) being paranoid.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rpjs

You don't get a visa waiver form on the plane any more - the ESTA has replaced that. Relax and enjoy your holiday.
Yeah I wasn't sure. My parents went the other month and I was under the impression they had to hand it in to the border agent when I asked them about it.

So ESTA approved. But couldn't anyone lie on this? Do they check the information immediately against you?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I wasn't sure. My parents went the other month and I was under the impression they had to hand it in to the border agent when I asked them about it.

So ESTA approved. But couldn't anyone lie on this? Do they check the information immediately against you?
People can and do lie on ESTA applications. This is why you also get asked questions by the CBP officers at the POE. Lots of people lie to them too.

But as long as you haven't lied on your ESTA, and have no intention of telling lies to the CBP when you arrive, you should be OK.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

People can and do lie on ESTA applications. This is why you also get asked questions by the CBP officers at the POE. Lots of people lie to them too.

But as long as you haven't lied on your ESTA, and have no intention of telling lies to the CBP when you arrive, you should be OK.
Nope. Just an arrest for drunk and disorderly which thankfully doesn't fall under CIMT category.

Thank's very much for all of your help. I appreciate it!
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

You still have to fill out the blue customs form, and holders of non-immigrant visas still fill out the white I-94 form, but the green I-94W form is no more, at least for air travellers - it's still issued to VWP participants arriving by land or sea.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. Just an arrest for drunk and disorderly which thankfully doesn't fall under CIMT category.

Thank's very much for all of your help. I appreciate it!
You're very welcome.

I hope you won't mind coming back on here after your trip and letting us all know how you got on with the immigration officers at the POE? Best of luck.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Embassy has nothing to do with any of this.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
The Embassy has nothing to do with any of this.
In that there advices to get a visa after any kind of arrest is just unnecessary?
Old Jan 6th 2012, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Panicking again now, contacted KLM who I am travelling with who advised me that I must contact the US Embassy, apparently it states in their terms and conditions I must check I am eligible to travel on Visa Waiver Programme with my consulate if I am unsure, which indeed it does. Also checked the same for many travel companies, and they all suggest that any arrest I should contact the US Embassy.

What happens if I get denied by the border agent? Do I have to pay for the next flight, which could be £1000 last minute!?!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 11:24 am
Account Closed

Panicking again now, contacted KLM who I am travelling with who advised me that I must contact the US Embassy, apparently it states in their terms and conditions I must check I am eligible to travel on Visa Waiver Programme with my consulate if I am unsure, which indeed it does. Also checked the same for many travel companies, and they all suggest that any arrest I should contact the US Embassy.

What happens if I get denied by the border agent? Do I have to pay for the next flight, which could be £1000 last minute!?!
You've already checked. The arrest ISN'T moral turpitude. You have answered the ESTA questions honestly and been approved. Just show KLM the ESTA approval. End of story.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 11:42 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Panicking again now, contacted KLM who I am travelling with who advised me that I must contact the US Embassy, apparently it states in their terms and conditions I must check I am eligible to travel on Visa Waiver Programme with my consulate if I am unsure, which indeed it does.
Are you familiar with the term "cover your ass"? All airlines have a CYA disclaimer. Why do they have this warning? Because they don't want to have to pay to fly you back home if you are denied entry to the US if, for some reason, you don't have a return ticket.

What happens if I get denied by the border agent?
You'll be sent home.

Do I have to pay for the next flight, which could be £1000 last minute!?!
You have a return ticket, don't you? Why do you think you'll need to pay extra on top of that?

Now... get on with your life. I don't know how many times the members here can reassure you before they get annoyed at your panic attacks on an issue which has been answered many times.

As I mentioned earlier, you are totally focussed on being denied entry and you are totally losing your sense of perspective. No matter how bad you try to spin this, it isn't a life/death situation. Step away from the computer.

Ian
Old Jan 6th 2012, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

You've already checked. The arrest ISN'T moral turpitude. You have answered the ESTA questions honestly and been approved. Just show KLM the ESTA approval. End of story.
Plus eleven hundred and twenty-seven.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 11:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rpjs
Plus eleven hundred and twenty-seven.
I know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.