British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Can I propose during VWP visit? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/can-i-propose-during-vwp-visit-910363/)

rpjs Mar 14th 2018 2:43 pm

Re: Can I propose during VWP visit?

Let's not forget that lawyers have to be much more careful about what they say in public forums than laypeople. There's all sorts of rules about what does and doesn't constitute "legal advice" and who may give it and what the consequences are. If Mr Folinsky seems gnomic in some of his pronouncements, that is, I would guess, the reason.

And that's not going into the fact that whole chunks of the BE forums are illegal in the UK...

BritInParis Mar 14th 2018 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 12462595)
And that's not going into the fact that whole chunks of the BE forums are illegal in the UK...

Que?

rpjs Mar 14th 2018 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12462639)
Que?

The ones that discuss immigration of spouses etc back to the UK. Apparently there is a recent Act that bans anyone other than a qualified lawyer or advisor on immigration law from offering any sort of advice on UK immigration law. The Legal Advice UK sub-Reddit automatically locks any questions on UK immigration or citizenship for this reason.

civilservant Mar 14th 2018 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 12462665)
The ones that discuss immigration of spouses etc back to the UK. Apparently there is a recent Act that bans anyone other than a qualified lawyer or advisor on immigration law from offering any sort of advice on UK immigration law. The Legal Advice UK sub-Reddit automatically locks any questions on UK immigration or citizenship for this reason.

Holy tangential thread diversion batman! :rofl:

vikingsail Mar 14th 2018 4:28 pm

Last time time I took a breath and checked there is no law that prevents an opinion so discussing any issue was not to my knowledge illegal. However, this kind of thought process that believes it is is very disturbing. It really concerns me when people who have no business restricting information make arbitrary and capricious decisions i.e. Reddit to deny information. After all, it is the very essence of free speech.

Advice is advice when professioanlly given but we can all have opinions, please discuss?

Jerseygirl Mar 14th 2018 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 12462595)
Let's not forget that lawyers have to be much more careful about what they say in public forums than laypeople. There's all sorts of rules about what does and doesn't constitute "legal advice" and who may give it and what the consequences are. If Mr Folinsky seems gnomic in some of his pronouncements, that is, I would guess, the reason.

BE is owned by a US company...the server is based in the US.

MidAtlantic Mar 14th 2018 4:46 pm

It would be helpful if you gave us some reference, some news article, anything to indicate the validity of your statement.

Without that I will file it under fake news.

BenK91 Mar 14th 2018 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12462706)
It would be helpful if you gave us some reference, some news article, anything to indicate the validity of your statement.

Also very interested to see something to validate this!

Pulaski Mar 14th 2018 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12462706)

In other news, the UK has also outlawed meeting in pubs, talking on the phone, and chatting by the water cooler. :rolleyes:

scot47 Mar 14th 2018 5:28 pm

Has Pulaski become a Marxist ? Or simply flipped ?

MidAtlantic Mar 14th 2018 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12462740)
Has Pulaski become a Marxist ? Or simply flipped ?

This thread must hold the record for how far it has moved away from the OP's question :nod:

Rete Mar 14th 2018 5:55 pm

Well it was a bit of a stupid question wasn't it. Did the OP think that he would be given a mike to wear while in the US and his conversations recorded? Now if he asked about getting married while here, I would understand the reason for the question.

BenK91 Mar 14th 2018 6:05 pm

Can confirm I proposed on a VWP trip and did not have my collar felt by the US Government :thumbup:

rpjs Mar 14th 2018 6:41 pm

Apparently the relevant law is the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (so not so recent then actually).

Now, perhaps I was being a bit provocative saying that it makes parts of BE illegal in the UK, but it does remain that the people that moderate the Legal Advice UK sub-reddit do ban immigration related questions for that reason.

I would agree with those that say our discussing such matters is no more illegal than talking about it down the pub, and that the fact neither most of us nor the servers are in the UK makes it all moot anyway.

Jerseygirl Mar 14th 2018 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12462750)
This thread must hold the record for how far it has moved away from the OP's question :nod:

Quite...and with that I am closing this thread.