Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can I get married in the US on a H-2A/H-2B Visa?

Can I get married in the US on a H-2A/H-2B Visa?

Old Jun 8th 2018, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Jujusiren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I get married in the US on a H-2A/H-2B Visa?

Hey there! My boyfriend and I were looking into filing a K1 petition so we can marry and be together. However I came across the possibility of non-skilled temporary work through a H-2A visa and there are a few places minutes from his house that take these workers it seems.

I am really confused about the legal complications of this, but could I enter the US on a H-2A visa for the agreed time of the visa, marry my boyfriend and adjust my status from within the US without it being illegal or would I have to return to the UK then send of the K1 forms and wait months?

My other thought was whether I could work in the US on a H-2A visa knowing how long it would last for and whilst doing this send off the K1 forms so I could work and stay in the US during the months they processed then return home for the embassy interview and medical to minimise time apart?

Apologies if this seems silly, but the idea of having to spend potentially 9 or so months apart isn't filling me with any sort of excitement so I am looking into anything! I appreciate any answers.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 11:38 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I get married in the US on a H-2A/H-2B Visa?

The H-2A won't exactly be quick to process. All of the visa wait times are sliding back at the moment. Personally I think you should just wait in line like everyone else, and visit on the VWP is eligible.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can marry on an H-2A visa. Whether or not you can get one, and h ow long it would take, is another matter
Old Jun 8th 2018, 11:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

You can marry in any kind of status, including EWI, they don't care.

H-2A is typically valid for one year, however in reality it's only valid until your employment ends, then you have to leave within 10 days and you're talking about seasonal work (and it's bloody hard work). I doubt you could pull of AOS within that time frame if you actually want a green card in your hands, you can apply for AOS from VWP anyway, why bother (although you cannot enter with the intent of staying on the VWP.)