Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can I get an admission bond? (does it exist?)

Can I get an admission bond? (does it exist?)

Old Aug 12th 2002, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

tweetybird is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Can I get an admission bond? (does it exist?)

I am a canadian citizen and I have recently been refused entry to US. You can read my other post. Anyway, I need to know more about an admission bond. If that is possible. I have an apartment in the US that I need to get rid of and all my stuff is there and I need to bring it back. I also need to close my bank accounts and I can only do that in person. I need to go pretty soon because I am hopefully starting school in canada in sept. and I do not want to keep paying for an apt i'm not living in, I can't afford it anyway. The INS thinks I will not return to Canada. I cannot prove residence because I live with my parents and work for the family business. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Old Aug 12th 2002, 8:03 pm
Stuart Brook

Default Re: Can I get an admission bond? (does it exist?)

tweetybird wrote:
    > I am a canadian citizen and I have recently been refused entry to US. You can read
    > my other post. Anyway, I need to know more about an admission bond. If that is
    > possible. I have an apartment in the US that I need to get rid of and all my stuff
    > is there and I need to bring it back. I also need to close my bank accounts and I
    > can only do that in person. I need to go pretty soon because I am hopefully
    > starting school in canada in sept. and I do not want to keep paying for an apt i'm
    > not living in, I can't afford it anyway. The INS thinks I will not return to
    > Canada. I cannot prove residence because I live with my parents and work for the
    > family business. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

You would really be best advised to speak with an immigration lawyer.

Old Aug 14th 2002, 12:55 pm
Ingo Pakleppa

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:05:01 -0700, tweetybird wrote:

> I am a canadian citizen and I have recently been refused entry to US. You can read
    > my other post. Anyway, I need to know more about an admission bond. If that is
    > possible. I have an apartment in the US that I need to get rid of and all my stuff
    > is there and I need to bring it back. I also need to close my bank accounts and I
    > can only do that in person. I need to go pretty soon because I am hopefully
    > starting school in canada in sept. and I do not want to keep paying for an apt i'm
    > not living in, I can't afford it anyway. The INS thinks I will not return to
    > Canada. I cannot prove residence because I live with my parents and work for the
    > family business. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

As Stuart suggested, talking to a lawyer may be a good idea. Also, you MIGHT be able
to get admitted to the US by addressing the issues that caused INS to deny you
admission. The main issue was that you had an apartment and a boyfriend in the US,
and thus were suspected of immigration intent.

If you now have a Canadian boyfriend, and he travels with you, you might be able to
convince the INS officers that the US boyfriend is out of the picture. Similarly, if
your parents came along for the trip and bring an EMPTY truck, that may help convince
INS that you are serious about giving up the apartment.

However, my guess is that the chances of that working out are still very slim given
that you had several denials already, and you might drag these other people into the
mess at the same time.

Still, these might be some things to consider.

Ingo

Old Aug 14th 2002, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

tweetybird is an unknown quantity at this point

I never told the officer I had an apartment in the USA. But he might have got the notion from my journal, I don't know. (wish i could read the file on me). What they really want proof of is residence and I don't know how to prove that. I want to audit a couple classes there(see my new post). Maybe that will be a way in. Don't know. I'm running out of solutions. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Originally posted by Ingo Pakleppa:

As Stuart suggested, talking to a lawyer may be a good idea. Also, you MIGHT be able
to get admitted to the US by addressing the issues that caused INS to deny you
admission. The main issue was that you had an apartment and a boyfriend in the US,
and thus were suspected of immigration intent.

If you now have a Canadian boyfriend, and he travels with you, you might be able to
convince the INS officers that the US boyfriend is out of the picture. Similarly, if
your parents came along for the trip and bring an EMPTY truck, that may help convince
INS that you are serious about giving up the apartment.

However, my guess is that the chances of that working out are still very slim given
that you had several denials already, and you might drag these other people into the
mess at the same time.

Still, these might be some things to consider.

Ingo