Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can I call and request an interview appointment?

Wikiposts

Can I call and request an interview appointment?

Old Apr 30th 2013, 4:39 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I call and request an interview appointment?

Originally Posted by wuthering
So, we asked what happens if we don't respond to the letter (you know, because we'll be away), operator said they close the file.
Yes, they'll close the file if they don't hear from you... but only if they don't hear from you for an entire year. I'm sure the operator didn't tell you that part of the equation! Ten weeks away won't do anything... and you are allowed to live your life. You can safely ignore what the operator said.

Ian
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

ISo, we asked what happens if we don't respond to the letter (you know, because we'll be away), operator said they close the file. Not good. The operator then said we should call every week just in case they send the letter with the interview date - so calling from the US every week will be 10 weeks x $20!
I'm not exactly sure these days how they notify you of your interview date...whether it's by email or regular mail...just make sure you are able to fly back quickly if you get a last-minute interview date (doesn't happen often, but it does happen).

Rene
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

syed84 is a jewel in the roughsyed84 is a jewel in the roughsyed84 is a jewel in the roughsyed84 is a jewel in the roughsyed84 is a jewel in the rough

They notify you by mail for immigrant visa interviews

However I called the operator as I was away told them I was concerned and they gave the email subject and I asked if they had received my documents and I got told by email about the interview 3 days before the letter arrived.

You could try the same approach
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:44 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syed84
They notify you by mail for immigrant visa interviews

However I called the operator as I was away told them I was concerned and they gave the email subject and I asked if they had received my documents and I got told by email about the interview 3 days before the letter arrived.

You could try the same approach
The beneficiary perhaps, but the petitioner wil receive a copy of the same mail by e-mail.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

wuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nice

I'm not sure what syed84 means here. Do we call before we leave and ask the London embassy to email us about the interview? That would be a great weight lifted.

I'm not happy about being told they close our file without being told that it's after a year. So if we do not respond to the letter (assuming they won't do email) in 10 weeks, and the interview date is passed - you're saying they won't 'close the file'? Will there be bias against us for missing the date?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 6:09 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what syed84 means here. Do we call before we leave and ask the London embassy to email us about the interview? That would be a great weight lifted.

I'm not happy about being told they close our file without being told that it's after a year. So if we do not respond to the letter (assuming they won't do email) in 10 weeks, and the interview date is passed - you're saying they won't 'close the file'? Will there be bias against us for missing the date?
If you miss the interview date without rescheduling it, your visa application will be denied. I don't know whether it can then be reopened.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

sarah2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Air caution to the wind either call the embassy or call an immi lawyer I've had 2 pieces of wrong info on here and had it not have been for me callin the embassy I'd hv run into probs
Old Apr 30th 2013, 6:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you were referring to turning something in to the embassy with regard to "not responding". You have about a year, in general, to turn things in to the embassy without them closing your case (although it's best to keep in touch with them by email, letting them know you are NOT abandoning your case).

However, if you are at the point where you've turned everything in, and are just waiting for an interview date...and if you get that interview date and do not attend on that date, then yes, your case will be closed (as a no-show). I am not sure if you can re-open that existing case or if you have to start over (you can still use the approved I-130, but might have to do everything else again).

It's dangerous to try to reschedule a visa interview date once it's been set, because your request for reschedule might not get to the right person in time, and you'll end up as a no-show.

If you expect to be gone at the time you might have your interview, you can contact the embassy by email and ask them to give you an interview date further out (give them a time frame in the future, when you know you'll be back from the USA).

Rene
Old Apr 30th 2013, 6:27 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

so calling from the US every week will be 10 weeks x $20!
Do not call the UK premium number. Call the Dept of State in Washington DC 202-663-1225, press 1, then 0 to speak to a person. Give them your LDN case number and they will tell you if and when the interview is scheduled for.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 6:32 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I had a succesful interview with everything approved only 2 weeks later to be advised that my case is in additional administrative processing and here I am 7 weeks later. I would suggest not to book anything until you have your passport and visa in hand.
That is why we always give that advice. Until you have the visa in hand there can always be a delay for some reason or another

I was lucky enough to have a fully flexible tickets which I have changed 4 times already at no cost.
Yep for those not willing to listen to the advice above buy a fully flexible or refundable ticket. Some have been caught out by not doing so.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Wen u hv had ur medical and they say wen the embassy will get results give it 2 weeks and call u may get lucky and they hv received ur medical results they wud hv given me an interview date on phone had it not hv been for my son still listed
Old Apr 30th 2013, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Everyone case is different even if applyin for a visa someone else has had approved I dout everyone has the same person check there file so while general info can b given don't always rely on wat ur told on here if in dout call embassy or a lawyer
Old Apr 30th 2013, 7:53 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah2011
Everyone case is different even if applyin for a visa someone else has had approved I dout everyone has the same person check there file so while general info can b given don't always rely on wat ur told on here if in dout call embassy or a lawyer
You can call the embassy for things like "has my case been received", but don't rely on their word for judgment calls like "is it OK if I don't send you this document". They don't have to be accurate in their answers. They don't particularly care. We deal with the suffering people who fall between the cracks and we have experienced people here who know what the embassy staff actually do, not what they say they do. Same goes for lawyers. We are tired of hearing stories about clueless lawyers.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

So basically listen to everyone on here and a lawyer and consular official are always wrong good luck
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:08 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If you don'r like the advice given, feel free to take your business elsewhere.

So basically listen to everyone on here and a lawyer and consular official are always wrong good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.