Wikiposts

Can I adjust my status ?

Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:57 am
Just Joined

meinfl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I adjust my status ?

Hello,

I came to America in 1999 on a tourist visa when I was 15 with my mom. I overstayed my visa and was working at a theme park in FL in 2004. I was given some free tickets and I sold them on ebay. To make a long story short, the management bought the tickets and called the police on me. I was charged with 3 felonies (I know it sounds unbelievable, but it is true). I was 21 then... Because of a clean record and luck, 2 of the charges were dropped and one of them adjudication was witheld, I was placed on probation and 150 hours of community service... I succesfully finished everything before my deadline and have not been in any trouble ever since - not even a traffic violation.
I have been dating this american girl for 3 years now and we've decided to get married. My question is: Will I be able to apply for residency or the fact that I was arrested and charged with a felony void any possibility of adjusting my status ? None of the charges were violent crime/drug offense or crime of moral turpitude, I dont know if that matters.
Should I hire an attorney before applying ??
Old Oct 16th 2006, 11:07 am
Hull lass

workboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I adjust my status ?

Originally Posted by meinfl
Yes
Old Oct 16th 2006, 11:25 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I came to America in 1999 on a tourist visa when I was 15 with my mom. I overstayed my visa and was working at a theme park in FL in 2004. I was given some free tickets and I sold them on ebay. To make a long story short, the management bought the tickets and called the police on me. I was charged with 3 felonies (I know it sounds unbelievable, but it is true). I was 21 then... Because of a clean record and luck, 2 of the charges were dropped and one of them adjudication was witheld, I was placed on probation and 150 hours of community service... I succesfully finished everything before my deadline and have not been in any trouble ever since - not even a traffic violation.
I have been dating this american girl for 3 years now and we've decided to get married. My question is: Will I be able to apply for residency or the fact that I was arrested and charged with a felony void any possibility of adjusting my status ? None of the charges were violent crime/drug offense or crime of moral turpitude, I dont know if that matters.
Hi:

Hire that lawyer. You'll probably be just fine. But its a good idea to hire an attorney to look over the paperwork, do the research and reach a DEFINITE conclusion. At first blush, I think your fine but I am NOT committing to that answer. I may be a lawyer, but I'm not your lawyer.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

palgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nicepalgia is just really nice

3 felonies for just selling free tickets online? are you sure thats the only thing that you did?

palgia
Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by palgia
3 felonies for just selling free tickets online? are you sure thats the only thing that you did?

palgia
Hi:

He was CHARGED with three felonies -- he was not convicted. Lets set aside plea bargains for the moment [to avoid controversy] -- it is not uncommon for juries to acquit on a charged offense but to convict on what us legal types call a "lesser include offense."
Old Oct 17th 2006, 4:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by palgia

palgia

You are not the first one who have asked me this, I actually get asked that everytime I tell somebody what happened to me.
It is crazy and ridiculous, but it is the truth. The power of Disney - I guess.

My case was full of mistakes... even during my pre trial conference, the judge AND the prosecutor thought that the tickets were counterfit, the police thought I was printing out tickets out of my computer... it was all a big JOKE... but a joke that costed me a lot of money, time and my clean record. But I took the best out of it, and I still volunteer at the place I did my community service, I think 1,000 times before doing anything, even if it seems stupid, cuz the "stupid" landed me in jail...
Old Oct 17th 2006, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Get a lawyer. We even have one close by!
Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Get a lawyer. We even have one close by!
Reg. Frank R.
Why did I get a Lawyer advert on the bottom of my reply? Hope, they are not implying my endorsement?
Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:48 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Why did I get a Lawyer advert on the bottom of my reply?
Because you're not using Adblock?
Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Because you're not using Adblock?
its gone now.
reg. frank r.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Can I adjust my status ?

YAY !

I just consulted an immigration lawyer and as we suspected, everything should be fine and I should be able to adjust my status.... they can't guarante 100% like in any cases, but he told me that my chance of getting everything approved is just the same of anyone else...
I am so happy !!!

Now he wants to charge me $1,500 plus immigration fees... is that normal price ?
Also, when my mom did her process 3 years ago, I filled out all her forms and everything was approved and her green card granted... so should I just do it on my own again or should I hire him ?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Now he wants to charge me $1,500 plus immigration fees... is that normal price ?
Also, when my mom did her process 3 years ago, I filled out all her forms and everything was approved and her green card granted... so should I just do it on my own again or should I hire him ?
No one but you can answer that....but as for the fee, shouldn't you have discussed that to begin with?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
No one but you can answer that....but as for the fee, shouldn't you have discussed that to begin with?

Well, I am not sure that attorneys negotiate their fees... I was just wondering whether or not that sounds reasonable.

As for the forms, I had no trouble whatsover when filling them out for my mom, but I dont know if things have changed... but I guess before dropping $1,500 I will try to do them myself. $1,500 is a lot of money... it will pay for a honeymoon or something...
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:55 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know if things have changed... but I guess before dropping $1,500 I will try to do them myself.
"Try"? What did Yoda say about try....

How will you know if you are right or wrong?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:20 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I am not sure that attorneys negotiate their fees... I was just wondering whether or not that sounds reasonable.

As for the forms, I had no trouble whatsover when filling them out for my mom, but I dont know if things have changed... but I guess before dropping $1,500 I will try to do them myself. $1,500 is a lot of money... it will pay for a honeymoon or something...
I paid my attorney $5000 for a complete package, including all filing fees plus any extra work associsted with obtaining the I-601. I though that was good value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.