Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

can asylee apply for fiance visa? please help!!

Wikiposts

can asylee apply for fiance visa? please help!!

Old Jan 8th 2007, 3:36 pm
Intahayati05 Yahoo Com

Default can asylee apply for fiance visa? please help!!

I have had the worse luck finding any information regarding this question, and if anyone has any advice please please share. I am an asylee, and am planning to marry a non-resident from morocco in about 2 years. He lives there by the way, and i just want to know if there is any chance of being awarded a visa for him to come to the US. Thanks....

Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:28 pm
You

Default Re: can asylee apply for fiance visa? please help!!

<intahayati05[at]yahoo[dot]com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
|I have had the worse luck finding any information regarding this question,
and if anyone has any advice please please share. I am an asylee, and am
planning to marry a non-resident from morocco in about 2 years. He lives
there by the way, and i just want to know if there is any chance of being
awarded a visa for him to come to the US. Thanks....
|
| ---
| posted via:
| http://www.visaforyou.org/eng/

NO. Only US ctizens can petition a fiance/fiancee.

Old Jan 9th 2007, 2:56 am
Intahayati05 Yahoo Com

id like to die now...
there has to be a way? any advice to a solution? is a spousal visa any different? or we could just move to canada and start life there.......?.

Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Intahayati05 Yahoo Com
id like to die now...
there has to be a way? any advice to a solution? is a spousal visa any different? or we could just move to canada and start life there.......?.
Are you able to obtain US Citizenship at some point down the road? If so, then you can apply for the fiance visa after you become a USC.

If you have your green card, I believe you can marry and go the spouse visa route, but for a non-USC, the wait is several years for a visa number to become available to him. In the meantime, when you do become a USC, your case will be updated and a visa number will become current for him.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Are you able to obtain US Citizenship at some point down the road? If so, then you can apply for the fiance visa after you become a USC.

If you have your green card, I believe you can marry and go the spouse visa route, but for a non-USC, the wait is several years for a visa number to become available to him. In the meantime, when you do become a USC, your case will be updated and a visa number will become current for him.

Best Wishes,
Rene
It could well be that Morocco has the equivalent visa, have a look on their Consulate web site.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:38 am
Intahayati05 Yahoo Com

I was awarded asylee in feb 2004, i dont know what the process is after that. I was previously told that I will need a five year proof of residency and I am able to aply for permenant residency/citizenship, and then the process takes about another year.. (is this correct?)
And i have to thank you again for the information, i am really thankful to live in america.

I just have to clear this up one more time, sorry:
I can apply for spousal visa, even if i am still in the process of obtaining a GC?

[[Thank you soo much again.]].

Old Jan 14th 2007, 5:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I was awarded asylee in feb 2004, i dont know what the process is after that. I was previously told that I will need a five year proof of residency and I am able to aply for permenant residency/citizenship, and then the process takes about another year.. (is this correct?)
And i have to thank you again for the information, i am really thankful to live in america.

I can apply for spousal visa, even if i am still in the process of obtaining a GC?

No, I think you actually need to have your GC first. Then you can apply for an immigrant visa for your spouse. In the meantime, apply for naturalization when you can, and then your spouse's case will get moved up. I would figure around 5 years + for him to get his immigrant visa.

Rene
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:05 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but this forum deals primarily with immigration for spouses of US citizens and its participants know little, if anything, about asylum processing.

I think I remember hearing something though that the family, spouse, children of asylum seekers are included with their residency.

Why don't you consult an immigration attorney well versed in your type of filing.

Also you might want to check into migrating to her country instead.

Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:21 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had the worse luck finding any information regarding this question, and if anyone has any advice please please share. I am an asylee, and am planning to marry a non-resident from morocco in about 2 years. He lives there by the way, and i just want to know if there is any chance of being awarded a visa for him to come to the US. Thanks....
Hi:

Asylees can ONLY bring in spouses and "children" existing at the time of the grant of asylum. And the process has to be initiated within one year of the grant via the I-730 process.

Otherwise, they can't petition for relatives until they obtain LPR status. That application can be filed one year after the grant -- and when approved, it will then be backdated one year. There used to be a numerical limitation on the number of annual adjustments from asylum to LPR status -- the former INS processed the cases much slower than the number availability which caused the numbers to go unused which further exacerbated the backlogs! INS got sued of this and was losing quite badly. Then Congress quietly deleted the limitation. These are processed through Nebraska and I think they are about 2 1/2 years behind.

BTW, although you use the term "asylee," if you are a "refugee", things are much quicker.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Asylees can ONLY bring in spouses and "children" existing at the time of the grant of asylum. And the process has to be initiated within one year of the grant via the I-730 process.

Otherwise, they can't petition for relatives until they obtain LPR status. That application can be filed one year after the grant -- and when approved, it will then be backdated one year. There used to be a numerical limitation on the number of annual adjustments from asylum to LPR status -- the former INS processed the cases much slower than the number availability which caused the numbers to go unused which further exacerbated the backlogs! INS got sued of this and was losing quite badly. Then Congress quietly deleted the limitation. These are processed through Nebraska and I think they are about 2 1/2 years behind.

BTW, although you use the term "asylee," if you are a "refugee", things are much quicker.
You might want to post here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...lter=all&st=30

There was at least one thread about moving to Morocco, and certainly those posting on it would be be aware of what was required.