Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

calling all charlotte's EAD people

calling all charlotte's EAD people

Old Aug 26th 2003, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

anggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really nice
Default calling all charlotte's EAD people

hi all.

well my 90 days of waiting period for EAD has passed. nothing happened not even a receipt. i gave hell to my lawyer asking whats going on. i still have to wait, she said.

well another infos about charlotte, she said charlotte BCIS is moving. so maybe it will slow them down (i start thinking my file is somewhere in one of hundreds boxes).

i need some help from you guys. could you please tell me your EAD timeline? i am going to list all up and let my lawyer see, hopefully it will push her a little bit to work it out.. harder.

any inputs or comment, welcome!

anggraeni
Old Aug 26th 2003, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

PeteJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

As far as I was aware, and someone correct me if I am wrong, I thought that on the 91st day you could go to the office and they are obligated to give you EAD on the spot. Not sure whether this is always, but that is what I thought!!

Pete
Old Aug 26th 2003, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

anggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really nice

thanks pete. i also read about your other post about their moving (the same thing i mentioned in my post hihi) well i am going to ask my lawyer to do that too. call the BCIS up or drive there to charlotte to find out whats going on. i believe if my case is slow, means i am not alone. there must be plenty of people waiting for EAD also...

thanks,
anggraeni

Originally posted by PeteJ
Hi,

As far as I was aware, and someone correct me if I am wrong, I thought that on the 91st day you could go to the office and they are obligated to give you EAD on the spot. Not sure whether this is always, but that is what I thought!!

Pete
Old Aug 27th 2003, 2:31 pm
Jg

Default Re: calling all charlotte's EAD people

Thanks for the info!
I contacted my lawyers office and they said that they had since the filing
was sent via FedEx, they are able to track when the package was signed for
by someone at the CLT BCIS office. They will now contact their government
liaison to find out if that receipt is enough to apply in person.

I'll keep you guys posted on what we find out.

JG

"anggraeni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > hi all.
    > well my 90 days of waiting period for EAD has passed. nothing happened
    > not even a receipt. i gave hell to my lawyer asking whats going on. i
    > still have to wait, she said.
    > well another infos about charlotte, she said charlotte BCIS is moving.
    > so maybe it will slow them down (i start thinking my file is somewhere
    > in one of hundreds boxes).
    > i need some help from you guys. could you please tell me your EAD
    > timeline? i am going to list all up and let my lawyer see, hopefully it
    > will push her a little bit to work it out.. harder.
    > any inputs or comment, welcome!
    > anggraeni
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 8th 2003, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

FlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to all

Is your lawyer your slave? Either that or you have lots of disposable income if you can pay a lawyer to "drive up there to charlotte to find out what's going on". This is YOUR responsibility, not your lawyers. There is nothing he or she can do for you as you have to appear in person and have your picture taken, at least if this is part of an AOS. They don't use the pictures you send, you have to appear in person. In any case, if you want it on day 91, you have to show up with proof of your submission and ask for it yourself.

-fr

Originally posted by anggraeni
thanks pete. i also read about your other post about their moving (the same thing i mentioned in my post hihi) well i am going to ask my lawyer to do that too. call the BCIS up or drive there to charlotte to find out whats going on. i believe if my case is slow, means i am not alone. there must be plenty of people waiting for EAD also...

thanks,
anggraeni
Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

hi flightrisk.
i think i didnt give you enough information that you came up thinking i treat my lawyer badly . well first of all she was the one came up with the idea driving me there since she also has office nearby the BCIS old building and she goes there few times a week . so when i wrote "drive up there.." means 3 of us, me, my husband and her. we are nice to each other, dont worry.
i know that the rest of the process has to be done by the petitioner itself. but i think that will be better if we come together to BCIS. she knows about law much better and know step by step about the procedure.

have a nice day,
anggraeni
Old Sep 9th 2003, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

FlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to all

Well, I didn't mean to insult you. I just wanted to throw in my opinion here, and it is just that, opinion so it may not be worth anything to you. But I believe in this case that you are your own best attorney. There are things you can't or would be stupid to do, like try to defend yourself without an attorney in front of an immigration judge, but then there are things that just don't require an attorney.

For example, the entire AOS process does not require an attorney if you don't have any strange circumstances. Many people don't use one. However, for peace of mind, and to make sure everything is covered, many people do. It's what you feel is best for you.

But attorneys have hundreds of clients. You are just one of them. There is only one YOU to look after your best interests. You can give 100% to yourself because you are your only client. To trust everything to another individual without you educating yourself and checking up on every aspect of your petition is unwise.

For something as simple as the EAD procedure, I don't see why anyone would pay an attorney to drive with them. First, in most cases the horrible, fearful picture often painted of the process and they system is the exception, not the rule. Once you submit your paperwork, you just wait. No attorney, or even Senator can do much to help you, they can't change the process, they can only help if something gets lost or a mistake is made.

When you file your EAD paperwork with an AOS, the law says that they have to provide work authorization to you in 90 days, or give you a temporary one. If you don't get your work authorization in 90 days, then on day 91, you drive to Charlotte bright and early and sign in telling them why you are there and showing the first officer your proof you should be there. You sit for hours and get called to another officer. That officer looks at your return mail receipt, EAD paperwork, and letter of receipt of your AOS packet that you bring, your passport and looks you up in the computer. They tell you to sit down while they do a background check and you sit for a few more hours.

At some point, they call your name and give you paperwork that has to be put in the bin at the door of the next department.
Then, in the afternoon, when the people doing double-duty at the airport who are the only ones who can process your application arrive, you get in the queue to have your picture taken.

Sometime before 5, they call your name, ask you a few questions, take your picture, give your your new card and send you on your way.

They take people in groups into the building throught the day. The ones that get their early guarantee they will be seen, but I found that you could go at 11am and wait outside for a bit, then get seen inside and get out at the same time as people who got there at 8 since the main wait is for the people who aren't even there to arrive from the airport. In any case, good luck in your adventure!

-fr

Originally posted by anggraeni
hi flightrisk.
i think i didnt give you enough information that you came up thinking i treat my lawyer badly . well first of all she was the one came up with the idea driving me there since she also has office nearby the BCIS old building and she goes there few times a week . so when i wrote "drive up there.." means 3 of us, me, my husband and her. we are nice to each other, dont worry.
i know that the rest of the process has to be done by the petitioner itself. but i think that will be better if we come together to BCIS. she knows about law much better and know step by step about the procedure.

have a nice day,
anggraeni