Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

CA arrest question, I-751 and N-400 questions

CA arrest question, I-751 and N-400 questions

Old Nov 25th 2006, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

bantik2005 has a spectacular aura aboutbantik2005 has a spectacular aura aboutbantik2005 has a spectacular aura about
Default CA arrest question, I-751 and N-400 questions

Dear members,
I have a question and need your advise in my case please:
I have been arrested for shoplifting and spent a night in jail, then have been released, went to the public defender, pleaded not guilty.
judge ordered me to do 40 hrs of community work, pay $250 and to go to the pre-trial diversion program, he gave 4 months to complete all that, and after that he said that all charges would be dropped and case dismissed, I went to court after completing all and judge told me that I am "clean" and that the case was dismissed.
i completed all what i have been ordered, also i payed to the store and received release letter from them saying that they are releasing me from any claims.

I have been charged with:
a Misdemeanor, violation of section 1320(a)PC, conviction of which may result imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months, or by fine not exceeding One Thousand Dollars or by both.
i dont know if any of that makes any difference, that it was misdemeanor (petty theft) NOT a felony
So now my question:

I am conditional resident (married to US citizen),
about three months ago, me and my spouse filed joint I-751 to remove condition from my green card, we've got NOA and biometrics letter (i went there in August), and havent heard anything from CIS since.
Do you guys think that "arrest" means automatic interview for I-751?

Another question: When am I eligible to apply for naturalization? One lawyer told me that since I plead not guilty and the case was dismissed (and there was no conviction) that I would be eligible to apply for naturalization after 3 years (minus 90 days) from the date my green card was issued, is that true? is that possible? What papers do I need to prepare? I already got certified copies of all court minute dockets and sent along with our I-751.

I am so sorry for what has happened, and we just hope and pray to God that everything's gonna be ok with my papers, hopefully.

Thanks a lot in advance

PS: In CA you dont have to enter any plea in order to qualify for pre-trial diversion program.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 12:04 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CA arrest question, I-751 and N-400 questions

Originally Posted by bantik2005
I'd be surprised if USCIS even knows about the arrest.

One lawyer told me that since I plead not guilty and the case was dismissed (and there was no conviction) that I would be eligible to apply for naturalization after 3 years (minus 90 days) from the date my green card was issued, is that true?
Yes, it's true... but not because your case was dismissed. It'd be true whether or not you had ever been arrested. Applying for naturalization 3 years less 90 days is allowed for all those who became PRs based on their marriage to a USC.

At any rate, you must disclose this arrest when you file for naturalization. Keep copies of all the court documents.

Ian
Old Nov 26th 2006, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

about three months ago, me and my spouse filed joint I-751 to remove condition from my green card, we've got NOA and biometrics letter (i went there in August), and havent heard anything from CIS since.
This timeline is the same as mine, and I'm as clean a a whistle. I've heard nothing yet either, don't care either as I've got my letter that says card is extended for a year. Wouldn't worry about it, nothing you can do, is there, you'll either be interviewed or you won't, but your timeline is not indicative of a problem.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

bantik2005 has a spectacular aura aboutbantik2005 has a spectacular aura aboutbantik2005 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'd be surprised if USCIS even knows about the arrest.
Thank you,
When we filed our I-751 there was a question if you have been arrested, so we checked YES to that question, and then we sent all certified copies of papers we've got from the court, including dismissal doc. So, USCIS knows about my arrest...
I was just wondering if anyone heard or experienced about cases like mine...
thanks
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:51 pm
Capt. Tuttle

bantik2005 wrote:
    >>I'd be surprised if USCIS even knows about the arrest.
    >>Yes, it's true... but not because your case was dismissed. It'd be
    >>true whether or not you had ever been arrested. Applying for
    >>naturalization 3 years less 90 days is allowed for all those who
    >>became PRs based on their marriage to a USC.
    >>At any rate, you must disclose this arrest when you file for
    >>naturalization. Keep copies of all the court documents.
    >>Ian
    >
    >
    > Thank you,
    > When we filed our I-751 there was a question if you have been arrested,
    > so we checked YES to that question, and then we sent all certified
    > copies of papers we've got from the court, including dismissal doc. So,
    > USCIS knows about my arrest...
    > I was just wondering if anyone heard or experienced about cases like
    > mine...
    > thanks
    >

I know of a similar case with a J-1 visa. There was some delay and some
questioning, but in the end the visa was issued.

Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:48 am
Hull lass

workboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond repute

Dear members,
I have a question and need your advise in my case please:
I have been arrested for shoplifting and spent a night in jail, then have been released, went to the public defender, pleaded not guilty.
judge ordered me to do 40 hrs of community work, pay $250 and to go to the pre-trial diversion program, he gave 4 months to complete all that, and after that he said that all charges would be dropped and case dismissed, I went to court after completing all and judge told me that I am "clean" and that the case was dismissed.
i completed all what i have been ordered, also i payed to the store and received release letter from them saying that they are releasing me from any claims.

I have been charged with:
a Misdemeanor, violation of section 1320(a)PC, conviction of which may result imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months, or by fine not exceeding One Thousand Dollars or by both.
i dont know if any of that makes any difference, that it was misdemeanor (petty theft) NOT a felony
So now my question:

Another question: When am I eligible to apply for naturalization? One lawyer told me that since I plead not guilty and the case was dismissed (and there was no conviction) that I would be eligible to apply for naturalization after 3 years (minus 90 days) from the date my green card was issued, is that true? is that possible? What papers do I need to prepare? I already got certified copies of all court minute dockets and sent along with our I-751.

I am so sorry for what has happened, and we just hope and pray to God that everything's gonna be ok with my papers, hopefully.

Thanks a lot in advance

PS: In CA you dont have to enter any plea in order to qualify for pre-trial diversion program.
I was arrested (in CA) for domestic violence 4 years ago. I had to take anger management classes and 3 months of therapy and the judge dismissed my case (btw, the ex boyfriend totally deserved the slap I gave him).
It hasn't been an issue at all in my case - as the case was dismissed, there is no proof of guilt. I would say you'll be ok and not to worry about it. (Unless one of the lawyers on here can prove different.)

Last edited by workboresme; Nov 27th 2006 at 12:49 am. Reason: I forgot to close the bracket. Doh!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Capt. Tuttle

I know of a similar case with a J-1 visa. There was some delay and some
questioning, but in the end the visa was issued.
Thanks for you response,
was it within or outside of the states?
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

thanks, workboresme,

what was your status back then? did you plea guilty or not?
gracias
Originally Posted by workboresme
I was arrested (in CA) for domestic violence 4 years ago. I had to take anger management classes and 3 months of therapy and the judge dismissed my case (btw, the ex boyfriend totally deserved the slap I gave him).
It hasn't been an issue at all in my case - as the case was dismissed, there is no proof of guilt. I would say you'll be ok and not to worry about it. (Unless one of the lawyers on here can prove different.)
Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:41 am
Hull lass

workboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond repute

thanks, workboresme,

what was your status back then? did you plea guilty or not?
gracias
I tried to plead guilty (because I was) but the judge wouldn't let me. He knew I wasn't fully aware of the consequences if I had have done.
I never plead at all - the judge entered a plea of not guilty on my behalf.
I got lucky.

Don't beat your ex boyfriend up kids, it's not worth the worry! (but if you do, draw blood next time to make sure it's worth it!)
Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:37 pm
Capt. Tuttle

bantik2005 wrote:
    >>bantik2005 wrote:
    >>>>I'd be surprised if USCIS even knows about the arrest.
    >>>>Yes, it's true... but not because your case was dismissed. It'd be
    >>>>true whether or not you had ever been arrested. Applying for
    >>>>naturalization 3 years less 90 days is allowed for all those who
    >>>>became PRs based on their marriage to a USC.
    >>>>At any rate, you must disclose this arrest when you file for
    >>>>naturalization. Keep copies of all the court documents.
    >>>>Ian
    >>>Thank you,
    >>>When we filed our I-751 there was a question if you have been
    >>>arrested,
    >>>so we checked YES to that question, and then we sent all certified
    >>>copies of papers we've got from the court, including dismissal doc.
    >>>So,
    >>>USCIS knows about my arrest...
    >>>I was just wondering if anyone heard or experienced about cases like
    >>>mine...
    >>>thanks
    >>I know of a similar case with a J-1 visa. There was some delay and
    >>some
    >>questioning, but in the end the visa was issued.
    >
    >
    > Thanks for you response,
    > was it within or outside of the states?
    >

The delays were all outside the U.S.A. Once the visa was issued the
person had no problem at all upon entry or when taking a short trip home.

Old Nov 27th 2006, 4:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by workboresme

Do hope that you disclosed this information on all petitions that asked for criminal records and/or citations. Even though dismissed and as you so succinctly put it "as the case was dismissed, there is no proof of guilt" it still has to be disclosed. Non-disclosure could have repercussions that you won't want to have to deal with.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 6:50 am
Hull lass

Originally Posted by Rete
Do hope that you disclosed this information on all petitions that asked for criminal records and/or citations. Even though dismissed and as you so succinctly put it "as the case was dismissed, there is no proof of guilt" it still has to be disclosed. Non-disclosure could have repercussions that you won't want to have to deal with.
It was disclosed to the USCIS officer. It's in my records also that I admitted I did it. We can fight it based on the dismissal, (according to my lawyer and another lawyer I'm in touch with) but it hasn't been an issue - if it was, it would have been on my I-601 as well as the leaving/coming back thing.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

asking_silly_questions is an unknown quantity at this point

good luck
Old Sep 18th 2007, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asking_silly_questions
good luck
So far, despite your name, you haven't asked a single silly question, although you have responded to several posts in a most profound and thought provoking manner. I look forward to your next tidbit of drivel.

BTW, this post - to which you responded - is nearly a year old.

Ian
Old Sep 18th 2007, 6:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
So far, despite your name, you haven't asked a single silly question, although you have responded to several posts in a most profound and thought provoking manner. I look forward to your next tidbit of drivel.

BTW, this post - to which you responded - is nearly a year old.

Ian

Believe they just wanted to use the PM function. Need three posts to do that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.