Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Buying a US business what visa etc

Wikiposts

Buying a US business what visa etc

Old Mar 14th 2004, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

ginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Buying a US business what visa etc

I have had a vacation home in the USa for almost 20 years. Last few years i have been able to spend between 90-110 days overall p.a on visa waiver scheme.
I would like to spend more time here possibly as much as year round.

I am prepared to buy a business employing 3 or 4 americans.

Couple of questions.

1. I assume its the best way to get a long term visa.

2. If i buy the business does my visa rely entirely on the business. in other words if the business fails after 5 or 10 years am i out of the country ?

3. If i am able to buy the business does it qualify my children and wife to get SSn and be able to work here?

4. I assume its an E1 visa correct ?

Many thanks
Old Mar 14th 2004, 4:44 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a US business what visa etc

Originally posted by ginstwin
I have had a vacation home in the USa for almost 20 years. Last few years i have been able to spend between 90-110 days overall p.a on visa waiver scheme.
I would like to spend more time here possibly as much as year round.

I am prepared to buy a business employing 3 or 4 americans.

Couple of questions.

1. I assume its the best way to get a long term visa.

2. If i buy the business does my visa rely entirely on the business. in other words if the business fails after 5 or 10 years am i out of the country ?

3. If i am able to buy the business does it qualify my children and wife to get SSn and be able to work here?

4. I assume its an E1 visa correct ?

Many thanks
1. Only way for most people!
2. Yes.
3. Your wife can either be on the E-2 with you or she can get a separate EAD... children cannot work and have to leave aged 21.
4. More likely an E-2 ....
Old Mar 14th 2004, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

ginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the rough

Excellent.

Is it not possible to apply for permanent residency following a long period of time. in other words if i have the business for 15 years and for whatever reason the business closes , do i have to find another business and invest another $100,000 ?

Cheers
Old Mar 14th 2004, 5:05 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent.
Is it not possible to apply for permanent residency following a long period of time. in other words if i have the business for 15 years and for whatever reason the business closes , do i have to find another business and invest another $100,000 ?
Cheers
An E-2 will never lead to a GC...although there are clever Lawyers
technically if the business closes down..that visa is no longer valid...you would have to re-apply again..of course in 15 years times no doubt all things will change
Old Mar 14th 2004, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Understood. You have been really helpful, i really appreciate it.

Thanks
Old Mar 14th 2004, 5:12 am
Ray

Understood. You have been really helpful, i really appreciate it.

Thanks
Have sent you a PM